Shredding weight on a Aluminuim hardtail

Ryno.

My 1,89m frame weighing 86kg (hopefully 83kg by Epic) feels like a climbing machine.Very privileged to be riding this bike.

Edited by kandui

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to all.

Yesterday I bought a Cannondale F29 alloy 2. I was super excited to go home and weigh the bike but was quite disappointed when the scale tipped over at 11 ish KG. So now I come to you  weight weenies to help me shred a few grams.

The bike is currently  has :

Front wheel: Stan's ZTR Crest on a lefty hub with Rubena tires.

Suspension: Cannondale lefty

Handlebar : Cannondale  handle bar

Stem: Cannondale stem

Frame: F29 alloy 2 (2013)

Pedals : Shimano XT

Seat post : Cannondale stock post

Seat : Cannondale seat

Crankset :Shimano XT

Brakes: Shimano XT

Shifters :Shimano XT

Chain: Shimano XT

Cassette: Shimano XT

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT

Rear Hub :Shimano Deore

Rear Rim :WTB frequency race i19 with a Rubena tyre.

I think that is about all the stuff that make the numbers on the scale rise.

I am going to convert the bike to a 1x10 setup and plan to change the rear wheel to a ZTR Crest.

is the rim change worth it, and where else can I save a few grams without having to rob a bank. I would like to keep every thing on the bike aluminium so carbon seatpost and stem is out. Any suggestions welcome.

What's your budget?

Wheels dude wheels and tyres ;)

Then bars,stem,saddle and seat post.

What's your budget?

Agreed. Start with the wheels if you want a significant weight saving. But it will cost you a lot to get it down... 11kg is actually pretty light for an alloy bike

11 kg is heavy for a 29er? Becoming a weight weenie is a one way street,just rude the damn bike and enjoy it.

On a 29er the bigger wheels and tyres make up a lot of the weight gain over similar 26er but it rolls better and is faster anyway for XC type riding.

Those tyres are heavy. About R1500 for new lighter tyres will drop 400g @ about R3.75/g. But the new tyres will be thinner and more prone to damage.

Rims are light, its the spokes and hubs that weigh...quite difficult to drop a lot of weight here but since you have low body weight you have some latitude. It is difficult to gain more than 200g and your existing wheels are quite nice already.

Changing full XT to full XTR group will drop another 400g but this will cost you about R20k (R50/g) and its longevity is less.

Ti eggbeaters will drop another 60g or so for R5k (R83/g)

Regardless how wealthy you are it gets silly at some point

Edited by JXV

Had a flash Alloy 1 two years ago. Came standard with Sram X7/9 mix. Just changed the wheels to a set of Crest hoops with Tune hubs and Conti tyres and a xx cassette and it came in just under 10kg with all the standard alu bits and bobs. Wheels and tyres makes the biggest difference in weight and responsiveness of bike, but are also expensive.

On a 29er the bigger wheels and tyres make up a lot of the weight gain over similar 26er but it rolls better and is faster anyway for XC type riding.

Those tyres are heavy. About R1500 for new lighter tyres will drop 400g @ about R3.75/g. But the new tyres will be thinner and more prone to damage.

Rims are light, its the spokes and hubs that weigh...quite difficult to drop a lot of weight here but since you have low body weight you have some latitude. It is difficult to gain more than 200g and your existing wheels are quite nice already.

Changing full XT to full XTR group will drop another 400g but this will cost you about R20k (R50/g) and its longevity is less.

Ti eggbeaters will drop another 60g or so for R5k (R83/g)

Regardless how wealthy you are it gets silly at some point

I am going to put on a set of lighter tyres and do the 1x10 conversion . Then I think I am going to drop about 800gr. I believe this will be the cheapest way to lose that much.

What's your budget?

I fully agree. That rear hub is a lemon and weighs a ton. A good set of wheels and tyres will bring the weight down significantly. You can always use the  standard wheels as training wheels. From there onwards decide whether the extra cash is worth it

You worried about weight try this for size,I am 6.2ft,weigh 95kg ,bike is 14kg 29er FS but then I do Enduros so the weight helps me down the hill but not up. But bombing down a hill is more my thing then going up. So how's them apples for you.

Converted to a 1x10 today and dropped 350 grams on the bike. The shifter,derailleur and 2 chainrings weighed 400 grams and the race face narrow wide 34t weighed 50 grams.

Edited by R.smith