First look: 2015 Giant Anthem SX 27.5

Nick

In SA we are obsessed with owning and riding the bikes that are labelled "the fastest" out there (hence so many Spez Epics, Giant Anthems, Scott Sparks etc out there.) These are often not the most suited bikes for ave Joe (who thinks he is a world champ). SA riders are missing out on a whole bunch of awesomeness by not riding bikes like this Anthem SX, Giant Trance / Reign, Spez Cambers, PYGA oneten, Scott Genius, Cannondale Trigger, Trek Fuel / Rumblefish etc etc etc.....

My 2c worth....

Add the Spez Stumpy, also SC Tallboy LT and Bronson to that list....maybe also the 5010.

If you do a lot of dirt road and a lot of racing on prepared trails WITH POTENTIAL TO PLACE in your category then by all means go for a light stiff racing machine. For everyone else the long travel bikes will get you through a race quite adequately but they'll expand your fun and comfort levels a whole lot more during ALL your riding.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after Oakvalley this weekend and my normal Eselfontein rides, i have decided/realised I am no race snake, but I still love pumping the single track and doing the odd Xterra or ADV race. I love single track riding, but still need a good(not the best XC bike) I think this will be my next bike. Yes my old bike(read very old) Cannondale Prophet has served me well, but she will be rested now. Anybody have one of these at home? Are they  worth the R32K?

In SA we are obsessed with owning and riding the bikes that are labelled "the fastest" out there (hence so many Spez Epics, Giant Anthems, Scott Sparks etc out there.) These are often not the most suited bikes for ave Joe (who thinks he is a world champ). SA riders are missing out on a whole bunch of awesomeness by not riding bikes like this Anthem SX, Giant Trance / Reign, Spez Cambers, PYGA oneten, Scott Genius, Cannondale Trigger, Trek Fuel / Rumblefish etc etc etc..... 

My 2c worth....

I agree with your comment that sometimes we are not suited to what we should be riding. I bought a new bike last year, walked into the shop looking for something with longer travel to suit the riding I do around Jozi south and left with a XC bike based on shop owner advice. I love it to bits and I have never bottomed out, but I wonder how much better that extra 20mm  would have made  the rides??

Hi all

Does anybody know if SA will be getting the SX Advanced version?

Had a look on Giant's SA website, but could only find the alu version.

Might be interested in the carbon version.

Shot

I think the alu sx version is a bit overpriced compared to the non-sx. The alu sx (R32-33k) is a slx bike and the alu 1 is xt but the xt bike cost R28k-30k, The sx does have the dropper though. The alu 2 version is like R24k with a Reba that can easily go 120mm.

Edited by Mr X

Hi all

Shot

Just get a normal advanced and stick a 120mm fork on it.

If it's not on the SA site we're not getting it.

Hi all

Shot

Awesome bike that. In one review the tester completely smashed his best time on his 1st attempt, on a trail that he tests many bikes on. He then got off the bike and proceeded to order one for himself.

I got an amazing deal with Giant Durbanville on a 2015 Giant Anthem SX 27.5. Fitted some Geax Tubeliss tyres and soft grips and bar-ends(horror).

DId some SUPER tech riding on the 2012 Epic mountain section here in Tulbagh with the bike and loved it. Will be using it in the Cederberg on the weekend.

I almost took the Standard Anthem 1, but my love for singletrack made me take the SX. The front suspension does work great and my 1.77m dutchman build fits beautifully on the Large Frame.

The dropper seat is new to me, and coming front Motocross I am used to pinching the seat with my legs so dropping the seat is almost wrong, but I will get used to it.