Introducing Bike Hub's Stolen Bike Database

Matt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2022 at 4:47 PM, esCape-ist said:

Normally when you buy a new bike you need to register it online for the warranty. So maybe the local agent for that brand of frame could help verify who the original owner was….. but with POPI act not sure they would be willing to share that information, and they also need to delete/trash those records at some point once the warranty expires. 

Having registered my bike online I can download that data any time.

So even though I no longer have the receipt (which I should have kept for the warantee), I CAN prove original ownership.

Also, who of us buys a bike and dont take pictures ?  EXIF data of the photo will confirm 3-year old photos to go with the 3-year old bike .... not a receipt, but certainly something a thief wont have.

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Having registered my bike online I can download that data any time.

So even though I no longer have the receipt (which I should have kept for the warantee), I CAN prove original ownership.

Also, who of us buys a bike and dont take pictures ?  EXIF data of the photo will confirm 3-year old photos to go with the 3-year old bike .... not a receipt, but certainly something a thief wont have.

Yes, you can download the data from the warranty database, but in the case of a bike that has changed hands once before, I doubt the manufacturer will provide that info to a third party such as the potential buyer.

Agreed. Photos would probably be a good source. 

But as said already by someone else in this thread, if any part of this sale is getting your spidey senses tingling, it's probably best to walk away.

• 11 months later...