Introducing Bike Hub's Stolen Bike Database

Matt

Quite new to cycling, but I thought I'd bring up a concerning topic. I have a guy who works for me on the weekends at our home in Greenpoint. He lives on the street, so he has his fair share of exposure to crime, and when he saw that I had purchased a new road bike, he casually made mention of how often he gets the request to steal bicycles.

When I enquired a bit more, he was able to name some of the top bicycle names, i.e. Specialized, Santa Cruz, etc. - because the requests are quite specific, and it turns out they are coming from fairly wealthy people.

Lock those bicycles up properly.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is great to have a forum on this subject BUT ...,, is anyone finding these stolen [emoji1452] bikes

It is all a little futile and frustrating . Could anyone look and find these as a business. For financial reward?

There must be professional detectives that could specialize in this matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tony Paulo

It is great to have a forum on this subject BUT ...,, is anyone finding these stolen [emoji1452] bikes

It is all a little futile and frustrating . Could anyone look and find these as a business. For financial reward?

There must be professional detectives that could specialize in this matter

Its complicated, once the expensive bike is stolen, 9/10 times its insured so the owner just reports it stolen and starts planning the next build. 

The insruance company then has to try follow up, but with the sheer numbers, this is a tricky task.

At 10k they don't know the price either. probably bought it for 6 or 7k

Page already deleted.....hmmmm.. well spotted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Does any mountain bike ever get recovered? Ever?

Nope 

• 3 weeks later...

Does any mountain bike ever get recovered? Ever?

Nope

Yes

• 2 months later...

Hi all please see photo of CCTV footage of person riding off on my MTB. Friday 9th June 2017.  Full Carbon Rocky Mountain - ML70 - XT/Raceface setup. Rondebosch Cape Town

• 3 months later...

Matt I have asked in the past please post that HOT MAP and maybe figures again I cant find it

thanks

• 2 months later...

Police arrested suspect in possession of stolen bike, if this Giant is yours, contact Bellville Police Station. Pic attached.

post-78624-0-36268000-1515187162_thumb.jpeg

• 4 years later...

Hi Everyone.

I would just like to know. How can i make certain a bike i am buying is not stolen if the owner do not have receipts. Can a reputable bicycle shop check for me ?

Regards

D

Edited by Dean111

9 minutes ago, Dean111 said:

Hi Everyone.

I would just like to know. How can i make certain a bike i am buying is not stolen if the owner do not have receipts. Can a reputable bicycle shop check for me ?

Regards

D

Normally when you buy a new bike you need to register it online for the warranty. So maybe the local agent for that brand of frame could help verify who the original owner was….. but with POPI act not sure they would be willing to share that information, and they also need to delete/trash those records at some point once the warranty expires.