How to not have plastic tasting water with a Camelbak?

Skylark

No more pain when you fall

No worrying about, well, anything

The upside is massive.

This guy ^ gets me.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbc814KJVT1qgy0ea.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't tried it yet but I read in one of the mag's that toothpaste does the trick. I guess you just stick a bit in there, add water shake it up a bit and rinse a few times. Sounds healthier than chlorine, jik and piss.

Hmmm...

Fill your camelbak with whisky.

No more water, ergo, no more plastic tasting water.

Alcohol has a disinfectant property.  You can use whiskey, vodka, rum, Cognac, brandy, grappa, anything with a solid content (40% plus) and it does add flavour the water later. 

Hmmm...

Fill your camelbak with whisky.

No more water, ergo, no more plastic tasting water.

For this 3L camelback is best camelback.

Keep your bladders in the deep freeze to avoid funk growing. 

does cold urine leave less of a taste :)

does cold urine leave less of a taste :)

Miltons is a winner!

Some also use a bent/shaped clothes hanger to keep the bladder open (with lid off) when not in use. Helps with limited fridge space and the wife also oddly calmed down when I tried this tip.

I use plastic practice golf balls to do the same thing. Then when finished, I drain the bladder and position the balls to hold the walls apart. Works perfectly and no fungus/taste. In fact, if you wanted to, you could leave them in permanently even when full. 

post-43622-0-01423300-1420702913_thumb.jpg

Are you guys a bunch of nancy's or what? We were trained to get on with it and get the job done. The urine in the plastic bottle actually got rid of the plastic taste. Just rinse the bloody thing before you fill it with water to drink.

^this is the single best piece of advice anyone who uses a hydration system can get.

Guest Omega Man

I use plastic practice golf balls to do the same thing. Then when finished, I drain the bladder and position the balls to hold the walls apart. Works perfectly and no fungus/taste. In fact, if you wanted to, you could leave them in permanently even when full. 

Been doing that for years. Works a treat.

fill with water, add a table spoon of milton and leave overnight. make sure the tube's filled as well. this will get rid of the gunk growing.

then rinse nicely, and repeat, but use a tablespoon of baking soda instead. leave overnight and rinse. 

voila. that's what i've done, and it seems to be OK

Once you have cleaned the bladder - fill with water and a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Leave for an hour or so,  Rinse and the plastic taste should be gone. Works like a charm in new bottles.

you can also chuck in a bit of mouth wash for a fresh taste. leave it in for a while and rinse.

I use a no rinse sterilizer that you use in beer making. But I do rinse it after leaving it in the bladder for about 20 min.

I get mine a brewcraft in jet park

Archived