Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

So when I moved towns and dumped dstv I never bothered to explore the no SA based Netflix streaming options. I am using an appletv which suits there family as we are all Apple based with regards to phones, trickle down technology I guess.

So what is the way to ho from there as I know the US Netflix is way bigger than ours, my kids are starting to say “but dad so and so is on series 4 but we only get to series 1”, pesky little things! What is the correct, safest route? I am giving SmartDNS a try to get the full package, has anyone tried this, good/ bad or where should I look

Thanks for the advice guys!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried SmartDNS last night, gave me all the content but found I had a buffering issue, does Getflix have this?

Edited by MphatiPyga

Getflix does  trick on the DNS, the traffic / data still comes via the normal routes unlike a VPN, so if you are getting buffering there is some other issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody got experience of a X96 Mini android box? I need to replace my rubbish Cloudgate box and was looking at one of these.

Opinions, please.

Second question: Occasionally my box freezes when watching Netflix and reboots. Anybody else experience this?

Has anybody got experience of a X96 Mini android box? I need to replace my rubbish Cloudgate box and was looking at one of these.

Opinions, please.

Second question: Occasionally my box freezes when watching Netflix and reboots. Anybody else experience this?

I don't think the X96 is Google Certified, which means some Apps might not work properly on it as far as I know. I was also shopping for an android box recently, and looked at the X96, but got the Xiaomi Mi S box instead, which is Google Certified. It has Netflix pre-installed and a dedicated Netflix shortcut on the remote (although not using Netflix atm so can't give you any review in that regard). Been very happy with it so far.

I don't think the X96 is Google Certified, which means some Apps might not work properly on it as far as I know. I was also shopping for an android box recently, and looked at the X96, but got the Xiaomi Mi S box instead, which is Google Certified. It has Netflix pre-installed and a dedicated Netflix shortcut on the remote (although not using Netflix atm so can't give you any review in that regard). Been very happy with it so far.

Thanks. I was also looking at the Xiaomi box but read a bad review on it. I guess you will always find bad reviews on all products.

Must say I liked their control stick rather than a keyboard.

Where did you buy it and for how much?

Edit: And how many USB ports does it have? I can't see any.

Edited by sawystertrance

Thanks. I was also looking at the Xiaomi box but read a bad review on it. I guess you will always find bad reviews on all products.

Must say I liked their control stick rather than a keyboard.

Where did you buy it and for how much?

Edit: And how many USB ports does it have? I can't see any.

Got it through Takealot (R1499). The box only has 1 USB port (so if you want to expand the memory and say, plug in a controller/keyboard etc, that may be an issue)

I did a bit of reading on the Google certified issue. It seems most Android boxes for sale are not Google certified. Wonder of that will become a problem with not being able to install from Playstore?

I did a bit of reading on the Google certified issue. It seems most Android boxes for sale are not Google certified. Wonder of that will become a problem with not being able to install from Playstore?

There is always the option of side loading with an APK Installer. My MXQ box just stuck it's leg out of the bed and I am also in the market so I will be following with interest.

As a side note I don't think my MXQ was google certified. It ran Android 5.1 which didn't support a few apps that I tried loading (Netflix and RedbullTV to mention 2 from the Playstore) but I installed APK Installer and hunted the APK files from a third party website and installed them that way (Actually used older versions that worked on 5.1 where as only the latest version is available from the Playstore) I also usek apk files for Mobdro and TapTV.

That's a bummer.. I was hoping you had some insight of what device to get since you've been streaming for a while.

Mind you, tech changes quickly so what was good last year is probably way out of date and low-spec by now.

Good thinking on the APKs.

That's a bummer.. I was hoping you had some insight of what device to get since you've been streaming for a while.

Mind you, tech changes quickly so what was good last year is probably way out of date and low-spec by now.

Good thinking on the APKs.

There are a few devices that are Google certified but they come at a premium. If you are in the mxq budget then you can expect a few work arounds to get things to work.

From what I have seen, some have Netfilx etc pre installed but won't support the latest version. The more expensive boxes look to work out the box (pin intended) but they come at a premium (not all that bad in the greater scheme of things, but still double the price)

At this stage I might spend the extra and get a locally supported branded unit that runs everything without the schlep. For us a Chromecast won't work because there are 5 people using it ranging from 9 to 77. It needs to be wired so the firestick isn't on my list.

Saw a few on Takealot that I have added to my wishlist but will research some more before I buy (Mygica, Xaiomi MiBox and something else I can't remember offhand)

Toyed with the idea of a Pi but that seems like too much work.....

I have the Pi 3b and its ok when im using raspian to surf the net and watch tv through the browser. I would prefer to use the Librelec installation but i have difficulty setting it up because i keep struggling to set up the add-ons. I have seen it work and when it runs properly it streams almost anything without any difficulty. So if anyone is the wiser i wouldnt mind some assistance.

There are a few devices that are Google certified but they come at a premium. If you are in the mxq budget then you can expect a few work arounds to get things to work.

From what I have seen, some have Netfilx etc pre installed but won't support the latest version. The more expensive boxes look to work out the box (pin intended) but they come at a premium (not all that bad in the greater scheme of things, but still double the price)

At this stage I might spend the extra and get a locally supported branded unit that runs everything without the schlep. For us a Chromecast won't work because there are 5 people using it ranging from 9 to 77. It needs to be wired so the firestick isn't on my list.

Saw a few on Takealot that I have added to my wishlist but will research some more before I buy (Mygica, Xaiomi MiBox and something else I can't remember offhand)

Toyed with the idea of a Pi but that seems like too much work.....