Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

The Mi TV box I posted above is a  media box with Chromecast built in.

Best of both worlds.

If only the developers at Zwift/Sufferfest et al can release a software version to run on these devices it will be the absolute Golden Bullet (nevermind silver :) )

At that price it makes sense to pay a little bit more to get this instead of the Chromecast imho

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They recently installed fibre in our complex so am looking at cancelling dstv. What would be the simplest and easiest way to stream movies , series etc for someone like me that's not to clued up when it comes to this type of thing. 

Would a 20mb line be sufficient for this ?

A few things I have learnt over the years:

If you are on your own or just you and the wife, 2Mb line will work if you both watch the same things in std definition. We have 4 people in our home, one of whom is a gaming teenager and one is a 10 year old who has just found the gem that is Youtube so the scenario is the little guy watching Fortnite videos in the study, my teenage son streaming Netflix in his room/gaming/Youtube/downloading etc and mom and dad watching Netflix in the lounge with three devices connected to Wifi. There is also a LAN connection with Wifi in my cottage for my mom. We have JUST enough to go around on a 10Mb fibre line (20Mb would be better)

Uncapped is not always uncapped.... (There are soft caps on most Home Uncapped packages and they usually kick in at around 250-300Gb) We are on a Premium uncapped package with Afrihost and normally tear through about 1Tb a month with relative ease. 

A wireless keyboard with track pad makes life a lot easier (It is a horses for courses scenario though. I love it, but my wife hates it) Searching for something on Netflix or Youtube with a remote is a real PITA...

If you are going to use apps like Netflix/DSTV Now or any other "official" apps, get a Google certified device. Getting the apps working on other devices is hit and miss.

Chromecast is cool but I don't like the fact that your viewing pleasure is "tethered" to your phone

Try where possible to have your setup connected via LAN cable (Wifi never really worked for me. There was audio/video lag while streaming. I have had zero issues with a cable)

Don't underestimate the convenience of multiple USB ports on the device you buy

There are others but we have probably gotten so used to them that they blend into day to day life.

This whole streaming thing started out as an experiment for me that turned into the goto source of entertainment.

With Netflix, Youtube, Mobdro, and RedbullTV you should have most of your viewing pleasure covered except for local sport but then you can sort that out at the local pub or one of your mates places with DSTV.

Almost everything is available online nowadays.

A few things I have learnt over the years:

If you are on your own or just you and the wife, 2Mb line will work if you both watch the same things in std definition. We have 4 people in our home, one of whom is a gaming teenager and one is a 10 year old who has just found the gem that is Youtube so the scenario is the little guy watching Fortnite videos in the study, my teenage son streaming Netflix in his room/gaming/Youtube/downloading etc and mom and dad watching Netflix in the lounge with three devices connected to Wifi. There is also a LAN connection with Wifi in my cottage for my mom. We have JUST enough to go around on a 10Mb fibre line (20Mb would be better)

Uncapped is not always uncapped.... (There are soft caps on most Home Uncapped packages and they usually kick in at around 250-300Gb) We are on a Premium uncapped package with Afrihost and normally tear through about 1Tb a month with relative ease. 

A wireless keyboard with track pad makes life a lot easier (It is a horses for courses scenario though. I love it, but my wife hates it) Searching for something on Netflix or Youtube with a remote is a real PITA...

If you are going to use apps like Netflix/DSTV Now or any other "official" apps, get a Google certified device. Getting the apps working on other devices is hit and miss.

Chromecast is cool but I don't like the fact that your viewing pleasure is "tethered" to your phone

Try where possible to have your setup connected via LAN cable (Wifi never really worked for me. There was audio/video lag while streaming. I have had zero issues with a cable)

Don't underestimate the convenience of multiple USB ports on the device you buy

There are others but we have probably gotten so used to them that they blend into day to day life.

This whole streaming thing started out as an experiment for me that turned into the goto source of entertainment.

With Netflix, Youtube, Mobdro, and RedbullTV you should have most of your viewing pleasure covered except for local sport but then you can sort that out at the local pub or one of your mates places with DSTV.

Almost everything is available online nowadays.

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed the soft caps on the packages and some offer a "No fair usage policy".

How do you know if it is a google certified device ? 

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed the soft caps on the packages and some offer a "No fair usage policy".

How do you know if it is a google certified device ? 

I was "caught" by the fair usage policy soft cap (I say "caught" because I didn't research it properly. I just saw UNCAPPED) Some ISPs enforce it more than others. This time around I went in eyes wide open so that there were no surprises. So far so good.

It will be advertised a Google Certified device. There are a few available. Just don't expect to pay Chinese prices for them.

If only the developers at Zwift/Sufferfest et al can release a software version to run on these devices it will be the absolute Golden Bullet (nevermind silver :) )

At that price it makes sense to pay a little bit more to get this instead of the Chromecast imho

I think Zwift is available on Appletv, don’t have a smart trainer but I do recall seeing something like that on the app list. Btw all this android chromacast boohaha, I’m loving my appletv, does what it does well, down to dstv now app( which is data hungry) Buy a proper device, be it a appltv or roku device and save yourself future strife!

Get a Google Chromecast, like Let's Ride said.

You choose what you want to watch on your phone, and then you hand it over to the Chromecast to play it for you by clicking "CAST"

This works on:

-DSTV Now, if you still have a family member paying their subscription fees

-Netflix

-youtube

-probably any video service site/application

Once you get more comfortable with the technology you can start looking at a dedicated media player. The Chromecast is a cheap way to start doing the streaming thing.

On a pc with chrome installed you can just tap screen device on chrome settings and it then mirrors your device even if you minimize chrome. Useful for PowerPoint etc. At R800 for a chrome cast it's far better than those cheap media players.

And you don't want a cable connecting your device to the TV. Becomes a hassle. I can cast Netflix from my iPad and then do something else on the iPad and Netflix still plays.

..But not everyone wants to boot up a PC every time they want to watch TV. And as for DSTV now, you are reliant on piggybacking on someone else's fees. Besides, in my case at least although it is obviously not true for everyone, the whole point of this exercise was to get away from DSTV. As others have said here, sport and other things can be found and streamed.

Just want to add on e comment to Grebel's informative post. Having multiple USB ports is important and I balked at buying the Mi TV because it has only 1. However, I have added a USB hub and run a couple of things off it. Not ideal but it works for a keyboard and mouse.. 

..But not everyone wants to boot up a PC every time they want to watch TV.

You sound like my wife. :-)

..But not everyone wants to boot up a PC every time they want to watch TV. And as for DSTV now, you are reliant on piggybacking on someone else's fees. Besides, in my case at least although it is obviously not true for everyone, the whole point of this exercise was to get away from DSTV. As others have said here, sport and other things can be found and streamed.

Just want to add on e comment to Grebel's informative post. Having multiple USB ports is important and I balked at buying the Mi TV because it has only 1. However, I have added a USB hub and run a couple of things off it. Not ideal but it works for a keyboard and mouse.. 

Good to know a multiple usb hub works. I have a gaming remote control connected to the only usb at the moment, but see I'm going to need to up the storage on the box soon, so may need to connect external flash drive.

Good to know a multiple usb hub works. I have a gaming remote control connected to the only usb at the moment, but see I'm going to need to up the storage on the box soon, so may need to connect external flash drive.

Might need to be a powered hub depending on what you want to connect

Yes, I think each port has 5V or 500Ma. If you connect a hub, isn't that divided by the number of hub ports?

Looking for a paysite where I can stream sports from. Anyone have experiences with IPTV Plix? Seems like you get all the Supersport channels and a whole lot more for about R75 per month

Looking for a paysite where I can stream sports from. Anyone have experiences with IPTV Plix? Seems like you get all the Supersport channels and a whole lot more for about R75 per month

Just remember that not all paysites are legal. Bear this in mind when handing over credit card details. Reddit cordcutters tag has all the legit sources

• 4 weeks later...

A question for the streamers. I have installed CyberFlix app and have no problem watching series. However, I can't watch any movies. It keeps telling me I need to validate via a Captcha validation  screen and never gets me past that. It then shows no streams available, no matter what movie I choose.  

Anybody else experience this and/or have advice?