Speed vs Traction: Direction of MTB Tyres (GEAX Saguaro)

ByronH

Hi all

So my 29er HT (GT Zaskar) is fitted with two Geax Saguaro, currently in the "Speed" orientation as opposed to "Traction". I have noticed that the back wheel rarely "powerslides" out, but my front wheel has a nasty tendency to 'let go' on hardpack when cornering.

Now I appreciate that my bike has a rather aggressive head angle and is quite light, which can contribute to the sliding, and I am also working on my cornering technique and centre of gravity.

However, in your experience, would changing the tyres, or even just the front one, around to 'Traction' instead of 'Speed' make some kind of positive difference, or is the change so minute it doesn't make much difference?

Not really that much as I hate the 'squishiness' when it's too soft... But you have a fair point!

It's normally pumped to 40psi (2.8 bar). What you recommend?

Not really that much as I hate the 'squishiness' when it's too soft... But you have a fair point!

It's normally pumped to 40psi (2.8 bar). What you recommend?

Yassis! 2.8 bar if wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard...unless you weigh 220kg's.

Yassis! 2.8 bar if wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard...unless you weigh 220kg's.

my first thoughts exactly.

i'm 90kg and run 2bar (Conti MK)

What the others have said RE pressure and also note you can usually run your front tyre a little lighter in pressure vs the rear.

Haha... I weigh 83... So what's the correct pressure :)?

I'm 93, and I run 1.8 back, and 1.6 front on Maxxis Ardents (2.25). Grip like hell, and zero burping or bumping on either my arch ex rims or my crappy giant pcx-2 rims.

Edit: Keep experimenting.... You'll know when you've hit your sweet spot... You never ding the rims, but they just absorb rocks and little bumps. It's fantastic.

Your pressure is way too high!

Also, it's also about technique. When cornering, you need to weight up the front end, i.e. you need to place more of your bodyweight on the front wheel. This increases traction and reduces wash-out.

Turing the Saguaro around does make a noticeable difference in the traction. 

On my trail bike I ride the front on traction and the back on speed. 

But as per all the previous  posts: 2.8 bar!?   Damn!! :eek:  

The Saguaro is quite sturdy in the sidewall department so even if you air it down the should not become squishy till under 1.8 bar.

Start at 2 Bar and see how it feels.   

my first thoughts exactly.

i'm 90kg and run 2bar (Conti MK)

I am on Maxxis Ikons, weigh 95 (well I did till last week) and I run 1.5 front and 1.6 rear.

You are going to love the difference. I came from road bikes with a fixation for high tyre pressure. Took ages to work out why i was getting bounced off. Nowni'm 95(ish) kgs and go max 2 bar pressure on tubeless.

I am on Maxxis Ikons, weigh 95 (well I did till last week) and I run 1.5 front and 1.6 rear.

Tried running lower but it didn't end so well

Archived