Overtaking - Skill levels, busy parks and manicured single track

PhdotD

Waffle

Hi love, I've ordered you the Selle Italia Diva saddle. Fanie has assured me your fanny will be in less pain so you don't have to make these cranky posts anymore. xoxo

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is why the trails become straight... as the fast guys cut the bends to overtake slower riders on the trail... cutting new trails that destroy the trails built by the trail builder

Someone tell the spruit fairies that it is actually the technically gifted rather than the technically challenged who are destroying their trails  :whistling:

Hi there,

Yes it was me who you tried to pass on Sunday. I don't want a mud slinging contest so here are my concerns:

I was riding with my 60 year old mom at Northerns on Sunday when you came screeming into the single track shouting for us to move as you were coming in fast. As for VERY slow, I'm not even going to say a word! My mom had to uncleat and move over, where it wasn't really possible. Could you not have waited five minutes for a clearing to pass? Northerns is a family riding spot, imagine that was a kid you had snuck up on? I'm all for unskilled people staying off the black routes, that's why we weren't at Thaba! I think you should take your travel and ride some real technical stuff where us slow people don't hold you up? The guy riding behind you actually complimented my mom and told her to relax and just ride, you should try that sometime!

We have been riding northern farms for 15 years, this is not a New Years resolution!

So I had an incident at Northern Farms this weekend. It was ridiculously busy (new year resolutions in full swing) and I should've just left. Nevertheless, it was late in the morning and I expected most to be returning from the ride.

I don't consider a single element of NF to be technical and rate it as easy and 'manicured' and generally go there for two reasons, distance and convenience.

Whilst going through some single track (known as blue gum single track on strava) i caught some VERY slow riders and informed them of my intention to overtake as well as on which side to expect me to be coming passed on. This seemed to cause a lot derision in the group of riders, with one of them complaining they "nearly" fell over and one protesting that "it's single track and passing isn't allowed"

Really? not according to the IMBA

My thoughts are this.

The average mountain biker in this country needs to re-assess their skill levels and be honest with themselves about their skill and ride where applicable (dirt roads). If a rider crashing through the bush to pass you, on manicured, un-technical single track, "nearly"makes you fall over, after a clear and full warning that it was to take place, you shouldn't be riding there.

Thoughts and opinions please on what I'm sure is a hornets nest waiting to be kicked

What a douchebag!!! Chill out bro! The trails are for all, go easy on the newbies... if you're wanting to go hard, head to a more technical trails. Northerns is a very chilled and family friendly place.

sorry it was me and my 5 year old son, he will never ride again after u berated him, I just hope I've got enough piss left in me to clean camelpaks to put him through school.

YEAH NOOOOOBS!!! you just go and practice somewhere else...like...like, hey where are us noobs going to practice!?!?  :whistling:

Hi there,

Yes it was me who you tried to pass on Sunday. I don't want a mud slinging contest so here are my concerns:

I was riding with my 60 year old mom at Northerns on Sunday when you came screeming into the single track shouting for us to move as you were coming in fast. As for VERY slow, I'm not even going to say a word! My mom had to uncleat and move over, where it wasn't really possible. Could you not have waited five minutes for a clearing to pass? Northerns is a family riding spot, imagine that was a kid you had snuck up on? I'm all for unskilled people staying off the black routes, that's why we weren't at Thaba! I think you should take your travel and ride some real technical stuff where us slow people don't hold you up? The guy riding behind you actually complimented my mom and told her to relax and just ride, you should try that sometime!

We have been riding northern farms for 15 years, this is not a New Years resolution!

Jinna now some rocket scientist is going to come and say 60 yr olds should not be riding mtbks

Hi love, I've ordered you the Selle Italia Diva saddle. Fanie has assured me your fanny will be in less pain so you don't have to make these cranky posts anymore. xoxo

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Best Thread EVER!!!!

Think the OP should ask mods to delete his account and rather move to a different postal code.

My thoughts exactly. OP you come across as a teenager swimming in the kiddies pool, complaining that the water is warm.

EDIT: Pool, not poop :lol:

I LOL'ed so hard for the swimming in poop comment, I fell of my chair.....

Was probably the same guy who started swearing at the group pf people that had gathered to help the couple who had just been bike-jacked at the farm.  WTF?

Guest notmyname

Was probably the same guy who started swearing at the group pf people that had gathered to help the couple who had just been bike-jacked at the farm. WTF?

This really happened? Good lordy.. what has the world come to.

This really happened? Good lordy.. what has the world come to.

sounds like they went to northern farms on the weekend

Archived