Pool Filter Sand Replacement

fanievb

My logic tell me the size of the pump doesn't matter. It is just going to have to run for a longer time to circulate the entire volume of water in the pool.

So I thought the same and that's why I basically never switch it off but it seems it just may not be enough? Look the surface area of cleaning material would be less so would clog up quicker so more backwash is required but that is also not good because stuff needs to grow in the sand to aid with cleaning if I am not mistaken.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ARGH I need advice and No I don't want to fill my pool in with sand.

In January I got a bubble cover for my pool and it worked like a dream wrt heat and saving water. Winter came and I removed the cover because all it was doing was collecting leaves and making compost out of them. A couple months back I put it back on. Now my pool is big and my kids are small so when we swim I remove the net only half way and then roll the bubble cover up also just half way. Not long after putting the bubble cover back on I notice that the creepy doesn't move much, my theory is the resistance from the bubble cover won't allow it to move. I have put some weights on the hose to lower it in the water and it helps but still not perfect like without the cover. 3 weeks ago I remove the bubble cover because lack of rain is making it so dirty and it doesn't look nice so I wanted to try rinse it in the pool. Then I see the bottom of my pool is filthy. As soon as we started swimming and disturbed all the dirt my pool went green. I tested my water and all was good. But 3 weeks later it's still green despite, floculent and blue this and anti green that. I took a sample to the pool shop this week and they also tested it. Told me exactly what I knew, on paper, my water is perfect. The guy asked how much the pump runs, when I told him basically 24/7 he was shocked. He said change the sand, I said its just over a year old but ok. Then he says how big is my filter. I tell him it's a 3 bag, he laughs and tells me it's too small and so is my pump. Quotes me R6k for a bigger pump(1.1kw), filter(5 bag) and sand. I'm In 2 minds. The guy that did my bubble cover told me the same thing but I just assumed he was trying to get some more work out of me.

So 2 questions, How do I get my creepy to operate better under the bubble cover and is a 3 bag filter and 0.75kw pump too small for +-120 000 Litres?

120 000l , ??? are you sure ? thats a massive pool.

If yes than the pump and filter is to small.

But, you can get refurbished pumps at a fraction of the price of a new one, filters if you shop around can also be had much cheaper. I found a place in Alberton and picked up a Speck 4 bag filter for much cheaper than anywhere else.

But, did the kreepy work fine with the cover on before ? you may have another issue on your hands as its not producing enough suction now.

Start by checking all the moving bits on the kreepy are still in good order, next step is the flexible pipes to the kreepy, make sure not leaks.

Those are the cheap and easy fixes, from there its the seals on teh pump, both the O ring by the basket and then also teh mechanical seal.

If your pump is easily removed then a DIY mechanical seal replacement is quick and easy.

In January I got a bubble cover for my pool and it worked like a dream wrt heat and saving water. Winter came and I removed the cover because all it was doing was collecting leaves and making compost out of them. A couple months back I put it back on. Now my pool is big and my kids are small so when we swim I remove the net only half way and then roll the bubble cover up also just half way. Not long after putting the bubble cover back on I notice that the creepy doesn't move much, my theory is the resistance from the bubble cover won't allow it to move. I have put some weights on the hose to lower it in the water and it helps but still not perfect like without the cover. 3 weeks ago I remove the bubble cover because lack of rain is making it so dirty and it doesn't look nice so I wanted to try rinse it in the pool. Then I see the bottom of my pool is filthy. As soon as we started swimming and disturbed all the dirt my pool went green. I tested my water and all was good. But 3 weeks later it's still green despite, floculent and blue this and anti green that. I took a sample to the pool shop this week and they also tested it. Told me exactly what I knew, on paper, my water is perfect. The guy asked how much the pump runs, when I told him basically 24/7 he was shocked. He said change the sand, I said its just over a year old but ok. Then he says how big is my filter. I tell him it's a 3 bag, he laughs and tells me it's too small and so is my pump. Quotes me R6k for a bigger pump(1.1kw), filter(5 bag) and sand. I'm In 2 minds. The guy that did my bubble cover told me the same thing but I just assumed he was trying to get some more work out of me.

So 2 questions, How do I get my creepy to operate better under the bubble cover and is a 3 bag filter and 0.75kw pump too small for +-120 000 Litres?

3 bag sounds a bit small for your pool, but try this stuff before replacing the sand/fitler etc.

Give the sand a good stir before you chuck it in to make sure you break up the solid bits in the filter.

after you've done this, gooi some settling salts and metal remover to remove the solids (follow instructions)

https://hth.co.za/index.php/component/content/article?id=116

Lol I hate sand change day..well my kids do.

They use the pool they get to change the sand.. but yep it is a yearly chore.

Check that plastic see through cover by the pump.. I had a problem a while ago that I just could not get enough suction..bought a new creepy and all..same problem..turned out there were 2 little cracks on that cover.. R130 rand and problem solved.

If you want to see if it is the sand then put the pump on bypass..if creepy runs fine there then it it the sand.

But loss of suction, I reckon it may be that pump cover thingy..

0050151b831509dada457b9efc1da271.jpg

Edited by Gen

120 000 is a big pool. Like mine, 2.4 m deep in the deep end..... its an old school pool.

Sounds like the creepy is not working well as mentioned above. How much flow comes out the nozzle back to the pool. It should be a good solid flow. My creepy works fine under the cover. Had three of them and the only thing is make sure your floating chlorinators do not sit in the middle of pool as the pipe gets caught on them and then creepy gets stuck. Otherwise good advice above. Check the sand is not clumpy and crappy, mine was and took 2 hours to get the sand out. Took sand to the dump. 

Also check your assembly where the hose goes into the weir is sealing properly, and that the pressure relief assembly on the elbow into the weir is not sucking too much. Creepy needs good suction.......

120 000l , ??? are you sure ? thats a massive pool.

If yes than the pump and filter is to small.

But, you can get refurbished pumps at a fraction of the price of a new one, filters if you shop around can also be had much cheaper. I found a place in Alberton and picked up a Speck 4 bag filter for much cheaper than anywhere else.

But, did the kreepy work fine with the cover on before ? you may have another issue on your hands as its not producing enough suction now.

Start by checking all the moving bits on the kreepy are still in good order, next step is the flexible pipes to the kreepy, make sure not leaks.

Those are the cheap and easy fixes, from there its the seals on teh pump, both the O ring by the basket and then also teh mechanical seal.

If your pump is easily removed then a DIY mechanical seal replacement is quick and easy.

Yeah it's big, too big but we liked the house a lot. When I win the powerball I will make it smaller. It's about 15M long and 6M wide(it's an odd shape, has curves and waves all around). I can't stand in the deep end.

Creepy worked fine before the cover. Didn't really use the creepy much when I first got the cover and during winter I had the cover off.

I will check all the other stuff mentioned, maybe get the creepy serviced, I did replace the 2 rubber ring things(small one and big one) a year ago.

After I have backwashed the creepy ticks like mad but doesn't move around much.

Mechanical seal on the pump is about 4 years old, did that soon after buying the house.

3 bag sounds a bit small for your pool, but try this stuff before replacing the sand/fitler etc.

Give the sand a good stir before you chuck it in to make sure you break up the solid bits in the filter.

after you've done this, gooi some settling salts and metal remover to remove the solids (follow instructions)

https://hth.co.za/index.php/component/content/article?id=116

Stirred the sand last night and gooi'd some liquid in the filter that the pool shop sold me. Leaving that in till after work today and then start it up again. That apparently cleans and loosens the sand. There was some solid bits but not as much as the last time I changed sand.

120 000 is a big pool. Like mine, 2.4 m deep in the deep end..... its an old school pool.

Sounds like the creepy is not working well as mentioned above. How much flow comes out the nozzle back to the pool. It should be a good solid flow. My creepy works fine under the cover. Had three of them and the only thing is make sure your floating chlorinators do not sit in the middle of pool as the pipe gets caught on them and then creepy gets stuck. Otherwise good advice above. Check the sand is not clumpy and crappy, mine was and took 2 hours to get the sand out. Took sand to the dump. 

Yip very old school. Mine isn't as deep as yours, mine is about 1.9M deep. Shallow end is just below my armpits.

I have no idea where the floaters are but thanks, I will remove the cover, find them and move them to by the step.

I have a pool skim at the nozzle back into the pool and the flow is decent. It sucks that top part down well.

Also check your assembly where the hose goes into the weir is sealing properly, and that the pressure relief assembly on the elbow into the weir is not sucking too much. Creepy needs good suction.......

I have that pressure relief valve screwed in all the way, so on the tightest setting.

Thanks everyone, I will pull the creepy out and check him out. Otherwise I think I need to start looking at a bigger filter and pump. Expect to see a used filter and pump for sale soon.

Thanks everyone, I will pull the creepy out and check him out. Otherwise I think I need to start looking at a bigger filter and pump. Expect to see a used filter and pump for sale soon.

Did you find the problem?

Found a piece of plastic stuck in my creepy yesterday so check it as. Stopped the diaphragm from operating so creepy sat there doing nothing like me on an uphill........

Lol..often turns out to be the smallest most obvious thing that we forget about. Edited by Gen