Pool Filter Sand Replacement

fanievb

I am in the process of slowly getting the pool sorted at our new place.

I have left the sand as the last task due to the fact that I wasn't going to replace sand before getting rid of all the algae.

I've done this before at my MIL's place and it's a hellava job to scoop out the sand with a little tin or cup or whatever

The local pool guy wants to smoke me R900 to change the sand (the sand works out at around R400 for 4 bags)

I've read that a workshop vacuum makes the job easier, but i doubt my wife will appreciate me using her big green clean machine to suck up some sand.

Does anyone have any short cuts/ tips?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

That's a swak job. I've done it once and once only. Never again. Pay the garden technician.

I tell my kids there is buried treasure at the bottom.

There little hands get in there so much easier.

maybe i'll put my JR in there? (No kids yet)

I undid the top and ran the pump, whilst mixing the sand with a broom handle. A lot of cr p came out.

Took a few tries but eventualy washed the sand clean

Edited by Mousea

I have left the sand as the last task due to the fact that I wasn't going to replace sand before getting rid of all the algae.

I've done this before at my MIL's place and it's a hellava job to scoop out the sand with a little tin or cup or whatever

The local pool guy wants to smoke me R900 to change the sand (the sand works out at around R400 for 4 bags)

I've read that a workshop vacuum makes the job easier, but i doubt my wife will appreciate me using her big green clean machine to suck up some sand.

How big is your filter? I just did mine and was told I needed 4 bags so I bought 4(R75 each) and after 3 bags it looked rather full to me. So I closed up and thought it would settle and the following weekend opened up again to add the other bag and it was still full. Didn't bother adding the 4th bag. Have since noticed by the exit of my backwash pipe some sand so it pumped some of it out. My filter is a Q120 suitable for 0.75 kw pumps(if that helps?)

Hire a vacuum from Hire It or the likes.... Sure it won't cost more than R200 for the day?

Man up and scoop it out one tin cup at a time. :whistling:

or

Hire a guy off the street for R 150.00 plus a couple of meals and it's done. The pool guy wants R500 for his time, labour and the drive out to your place plus he will probably dump the sand for you, sounds like a fair deal to me.

I undid the top and ran the pump, whilst mixing the sand with a broom handle. A lot of cr p came out.

Took a few tries but eventualy washed the sand clean

I haven't opened the filter yet, but based on the maintenance done on the rest of the house by the previous owner I'd rather replace and know everything is ok

This is the pool a week after (and R1600 odd) we moved in

post-38473-0-80467000-1422539007_thumb.jpg

Man up and scoop it out one tin cup at a time. :whistling:

or

Hire a guy off the street for R 150.00 plus a couple of meals and it's done. The pool guy wants R500 for his time, labour and the drive out to your place plus he will probably dump the sand for you, sounds like a fair deal to me.

not around here you don't

R150 too much or you don't trust the guy off the street in Slummies?

trust issues, around here thats where most robberies come from (got a mate in the local SAPS)

I need to do this next weekend.

Where is pool sand R75 a bag?  I've only seen it for R200ish.

R105 from Builders

I haven't opened the filter yet, but based on the maintenance done on the rest of the house by the previous owner I'd rather replace and know everything is ok

This is the pool a week after (and R1600 odd) we moved in

attachicon.gifPool Nov 2014.jpg

jeepers

Did they farm Ducks ?