Pool Filter Sand Replacement

fanievb

Did you find the problem?

LOL, I think/hope so. I decided to replace the sand so did that on Saturday morning. I pulled the creepy out and kinda like LongDonkey found, I found one of the kids pool toys. It's a small cup with holes in the bottom. So this thing got stuck in there in such a way that the purple ticking thing could still tick away and the creepy could still be up against the bottom of the pool but just not close enough to get proper suction. This little cup was so worn from the rough marbalite. But I have now decided that instead of getting a bigger pump and filter, I want to make the pool smaller. I will make it one level all the way and probably even shallower than the shallow end is currently. It doesn't need to be so deep. I will still have a large surface area but just a lot less water. The marbalite does need to be re-done so I am killing a few birds with one stone here. Now just to get quotes for this work, I am sure it will be more than a new pump/filter but in the long run it will be better off.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, I think/hope so. I decided to replace the sand so did that on Saturday morning. I pulled the creepy out and kinda like LongDonkey found, I found one of the kids pool toys. It's a small cup with holes in the bottom. So this thing got stuck in there in such a way that the purple ticking thing could still tick away and the creepy could still be up against the bottom of the pool but just not close enough to get proper suction. This little cup was so worn from the rough marbalite. But I have now decided that instead of getting a bigger pump and filter, I want to make the pool smaller. I will make it one level all the way and probably even shallower than the shallow end is currently. It doesn't need to be so deep. I will still have a large surface area but just a lot less water. The marbalite does need to be re-done so I am killing a few birds with one stone here. Now just to get quotes for this work, I am sure it will be more than a new pump/filter but in the long run it will be better off.

Ha ha.. yeah kids and their bloody toys... glad it is sorted..

• 2 months later...

Has anyone moved over to http://www.ecofiber.co.za/ ?

I am having so many issues keeping my massive pool clean. Evidently my filter and pump are too small for the pool. My pool is +- 117 000L and I only have a 0.75kw pump with a 120 kg(3 bags) filter. I need to go one up to 1.1 kw pump and 160 kg(4 bags) filter. I got a quote the other day to have the pool made smaller and lets just say it is staying this big until I win the powerball. So in the mean time I am making plans to get a bigger pump and filter(these are also pricey nowadays so going to be servicing a spare 1.1kw pump my Dad has and hope it works and will either source a good 2nd hand filter or just buy a new one if need be). I have been told about this new ecofiber stuff and it is apparently better than sand, well that is according to the website and salesman but that is their job so some real word experience would help.

Has anyone moved over to http://www.ecofiber.co.za/ ?

I am having so many issues keeping my massive pool clean. Evidently my filter and pump are too small for the pool. My pool is +- 117 000L and I only have a 0.75kw pump with a 120 kg(3 bags) filter. I need to go one up to 1.1 kw pump and 160 kg(4 bags) filter. I got a quote the other day to have the pool made smaller and lets just say it is staying this big until I win the powerball. So in the mean time I am making plans to get a bigger pump and filter(these are also pricey nowadays so going to be servicing a spare 1.1kw pump my Dad has and hope it works and will either source a good 2nd hand filter or just buy a new one if need be). I have been told about this new ecofiber stuff and it is apparently better than sand, well that is according to the website and salesman but that is their job so some real word experience would help.

if you want a comparative quote for the pool let me know I'll give you the guys number that did my pool. But yes, pools are not cheap.

On the pump, you can get refurbished pumps if that one your dad has doesnt work, but actually since buying my refurbished pump and then stuffing it up and fixing it myself I've come to learn that they are dead easy to work on, so if the one your dad has doesnt work simply fix it yourself.

if you want a comparative quote for the pool let me know I'll give you the guys number that did my pool. But yes, pools are not cheap.

On the pump, you can get refurbished pumps if that one your dad has doesnt work, but actually since buying my refurbished pump and then stuffing it up and fixing it myself I've come to learn that they are dead easy to work on, so if the one your dad has doesnt work simply fix it yourself.

Yeah they can't be that hard to work on. The one my toppie has did work, it has just been standing for many years on a shelf under an afdak that is not really weather proof. I reckon a new set of seals/bearings and some TLC and she should be good to go. Probably change the impeller if possible while I am at it. I will strip it down and see what I can buy for it.

Yeah they can't be that hard to work on. The one my toppie has did work, it has just been standing for many years on a shelf under an afdak that is not really weather proof. I reckon a new set of seals/bearings and some TLC and she should be good to go. Probably change the impeller if possible while I am at it. I will strip it down and see what I can buy for it.

yeah once you've split it open stick in a new impeller (although probably not even needed), new O rings and mechanical seal and you're good to go. Shouldnt cost more and than a few hundred Ronts

• 9 months later...

Has anyone tried this stuff instead of traditional filter sand?

I have been thinking about going this route for a while now but didn't want to chuck newish sand. But I now want to replace my sand so looking into it again. On paper it looks and sounds like a good idea and I really don't mind the cleaning every 3 odd months(my pool is big and the pump and filter are 1 size too small unfortunately so I would be the 3 month guy). But I just worry about some of these products because it has been around for a while(website says 1994) but not many people that I know of use it or have even heard of it. It also doesn't seem to be available at dedicated pool shops only places like builders.

EDIT: For those not wanting to click the link, it's called eco-fiber and is like a sponge thing that replaces the sand. 1kg of sponge = 40kg of sand. So I would use 3kg of sponge. The cut into small squares.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I have been thinking about going this route for a while now but didn't want to chuck newish sand. But I now want to replace my sand so looking into it again. On paper it looks and sounds like a good idea and I really don't mind the cleaning every 3 odd months(my pool is big and the pump and filter are 1 size too small unfortunately so I would be the 3 month guy). But I just worry about some of these products because it has been around for a while(website says 1994) but not many people that I know of use it or have even heard of it. It also doesn't seem to be available at dedicated pool shops only places like builders.

EDIT: For those not wanting to click the link, it's called eco-fiber and is like a sponge thing that replaces the sand. 1kg of sponge = 40kg of sand. So I would use 3kg of sponge. The cut into small squares.

Janee....this may do a good enough job filtering but I reckon you are going to battle to backwash and end up doing more total filter clean-outs than with good quality silica sand or even betterer...recycled glass.....slightly more expensive but backwashes easier and lasts longer...and you recycling!!!

Ha funny enough you mention this..I was just in Builders (as in 20min ago) and had a look at it.

Janee....this may do a good enough job filtering but I reckon you are going to battle to backwash and end up doing more total filter clean-outs than with good quality silica sand or even betterer...recycled glass.....slightly more expensive but backwashes easier and lasts longer...and you recycling!!!

So they reckon you don't backwash at all with this stuff and I believe it is for the exact reason you mention, it will battle as it physically needs to be squeezed like a sponge. It goes for R140 per bag from eco-fiber themselves, not sure what builders charges. I would use 3 bags.

Tell me more about the glass please? Surely it is a hazard when replacing RE cutting your hands to pieces?

Ha funny enough you mention this..I was just in Builders (as in 20min ago) and had a look at it.

How much was it per bag? R140 per 1kg bag from eco-fiber and they happen to be a few km from work.

How much was it per bag? R140 per 1kg bag from eco-fiber and they happen to be a few km from work.

R210 for 1kg