Karoo To Coast 2015

ErikD

It's not a super-tough event but don't be fooled by the route profile - it's not downhill to the coast. There is lots and lots of climbing. I did 4:17 last year and it was my first attempt. One thing I learned was don't do all the work on the front as nobody else wants to share the load. I bonked at 80km and subsequently lost my chance of a sub4.

This year, the sub4 is going to happen. Have some strategy planned.

Also my first K2C last year and did 4:21. I popped at the 55km mark (also) due to some wheel suckers who did not want to help in front.

Sub 4 I'm def doing this year. Learned a lot from last year.

We should train together..let me know

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first one this year, really amped ! I am just aiming for around the 5 hr mark, I'd like to try and enjoy it if that's at all possible with all that climbing.

edit: is SASeeding used for this race?

How is traffic on the morning of the race. Not keen on Camping in Uniondale, either looking at Oudshoorn or George.

We drove from Knysna last year and there was probably only a bit of traffic the last few kilometers to Uniondale. This year we staying George so we can sleep an hour later.

How is traffic on the morning of the race. Not keen on Camping in Uniondale, either looking at Oudshoorn or George.

Having lived in George all my life until I moved to Cape Town two years ago, and since my dad has a farm halfway between George and Uniondale, all I can say with regards to the traffic between the towns over that weekend can be summed up in one word...

Stoooopid.

I hope that clears up any confusion

Very little traffic from Willowmore, you might want to consider that.

Got a spare cottage on that farm? Sounds Rad!

As a matter of fact there is, BUT, it is temporarily unavailable due to tenants using it possibly until the end of the year. I did the restoration myself. Think half meter thick mud and stone walls, Oregan Pine floor, Yellow wood ceiling beams, coal stove, donkie for the geyser since their is no electricity, and to top it off as an extra cherry on top of the double thick cream, NO CELL PHONE SIGNAL. - My idea of heaven...All this on a farm in the Kammannasie valley. Think early Epic and current Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek routes. Heaven I tell ya, heaven!

We drove from Knysna last year and there was probably only a bit of traffic the last few kilometers to Uniondale. This year we staying George so we can sleep an hour later.

We sleep in George every year. Makes it easier to travel in the morning. Its only an hour.

We sleep in George every year. Makes it easier to travel in the morning. Its only an hour.

I think George sounds like my best option. 

Surprisingly not bad.  That time of the morning, on a Sunday, not much is happening in that neck of the woods. It took just on an hour to get to Uniondale via De Rust.  All open road. I suppose the George side to Uniondale was a lot busier.

I collected my number on Saturday and had a lekke potjie there.

I am going down on the Thursday already.  De Zeekoe is just outside Oudshoorn on the Mosselbay road and there are plenty place to do pre-race rides.

See you first timers there (it's mine as well), aiming for a sub 3day, buttttt will be happy with a sub one day... ;)

How can the wheel suckers be blamed for you popping? It simply means your rode above your fitness level for far too long? If you see nobody is helping & you are on the front for a long time then ride in comfortbale zone i.e. pace yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used Beukes Toere previous years to shuttle between Knysna and Uniondale? Were they found to be safe and reliable?

Also my first K2C last year and did 4:21. I popped at the 55km mark (also) due to some wheel suckers who did not want to help in front.

Sub 4 I'm def doing this year. Learned a lot from last year.

We should train together..let me know

Where do you stay? I'm in Durbanville Hills

And like Milky said, we should have ridden at a more comfortable level which would have avoided us popping. hahaha - wise words and ones I've now learned from.

It's not a super-tough event but don't be fooled by the route profile - it's not downhill to the coast. There is lots and lots of climbing. I did 4:17 last year and it was my first attempt. One thing I learned was don't do all the work on the front as nobody else wants to share the load. I bonked at 80km and subsequently lost my chance of a sub4.

This year, the sub4 is going to happen. Have some strategy planned.

Yep, not super-tough but I seriously under-estimated this one - if you don't pace yourself right the race will bite you!

Archived