2015 FNB Wines2Whales

JasonS

We did the race and had an absolute disaster day 1. 25km into race I had nail the size of my pinkie and a sidewall cut in 1 go. It took 2 or 3 gators to fix and never mind breaking off my valve in process. Luckily partner had a spare valve. 15km later and 6 bombs we limped into 2nd water point for a new tire. 40min lost on day 1 but at least we finished.

Dropped to c group for day 2 and basically spent the entire route behind people in single track. At least we had a great day on day 3

Great event non the less

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 was absolutely awful for me, I suffered the whole day and wished with every pedal stroke that I was back in my tent! Had some pansy boys in Pick n Pay kit in front of me walking on the downhill with loose stones. They didnt reply when I asked them where in Cape Town the princesses rode? I wonder why...

And then on day 3 dropping into Hemel en Aarde just across the dam wall, another sweetie pie guy unclipping his one foot constantly. And then we must read articles about how girls need more confidence to ride? grrr.

Any other females pissed off by the Vera Adrian pictures on the front of the MTB magazine we were given? Ridiculous sexist pictures of her better suited to Sports Illustrated Swimwear edition. Show me a woman who cycles with her jersey zipped down. Sexist!!!! 

#howdaretheyinsultyoursport

Maybe come ride in A batch with us next year and be sure to keep up sunshine.

Pipe down please. She wasn't forced to pose for that picture. 

I am sure she was compensated well for it. 

I found the pose cheesy but vera is absolutely gorgeous. I'd have stared at her pic with even 10% cleavage. What's the deal with feminism anyway?it's not like we an asexual species

This thread is useless without pictures, someone help me out please 

I still have the magazine at home, will send pics soon.

There you go:

There you go:

Thank you SIR!!! Owe you a cold one 

I also found the latest edition of Mountain Bike magazine to be distasteful and insulting of actual women mountain bikers. I'd be much more relevant to have images of Vera actually riding her bike (which she happens to be really good at) and the article about women riders not being confident and competitive is complete rubbish.

Sadly the attitude of the magazine is clearly held by many a rider. Countless times during W2W guys thought my partner to be unworthy of heading into single track before them (busted a gut to cut in front of her) only to end up being an obstruction with their lack of ability. Such antics were reserved solely for her and never for me.

I also found the latest edition of Mountain Bike magazine to be distasteful and insulting of actual women mountain bikers. I'd be much more relevant to have images of Vera actually riding her bike (which she happens to be really good at - imagine that) and the article about women riders not being confident and competitive is complete rubbish.

Sadly the attitude of the magazine are clearly held by many a rider. Countless times during W2W guys thought my partner to be unworthy of heading into single track before them (busted a gut to cut in front) only to end up slowing us both down with their lack of ability. Such antics were reserved solely for her and never for me.

let's ask the "victim" how she feels...

There you go:

Compare that cover with the latest issue cover of Tread (with Bianca Haw). If the article is about women MTB'ers, there is no need to sexualise them. They're MTB'ers who happen to be female - not cheap eye candy.

Totally hijacking this thread to rant about a different topic, shem W2W all you did was give us a rather nice magazine, besides these sexist images. My point is that male MTBers would never be posed and sexualised like this. I dont expect that Vera minds the images, she did afterall pose for them. But my boyfriend heard Teresa Ralph also complaining about it at the Adventure so I am not alone in my thinking. Women are trying to be taken seriously as cyclists. Dont even get me started about the podium girls at the Engen Cycle in the City - giving the ladies their prizes while dressed in their DHL stormers cheerleaders hotpants. Equality! Give us hunky bare chested men if you get scantily clad ladies! 

post-51580-0-72236300-1447140713_thumb.jpg

post-51580-0-78246900-1447140733_thumb.jpg

Pics look good to me, if you dont like em dont look.  Get over yourselves, good looking girl who is talented is getting exposure, not the first time this has happened and sure as heck aint the last.  

Day 2 was absolutely awful for me, I suffered the whole day and wished with every pedal stroke that I was back in my tent! Had some pansy boys in Pick n Pay kit in front of me walking on the downhill with loose stones. They didnt reply when I asked them where in Cape Town the princesses rode? I wonder why...

And then on day 3 dropping into Hemel en Aarde just across the dam wall, another sweetie pie guy unclipping his one foot constantly. And then we must read articles about how girls need more confidence to ride? grrr.

Any other females pissed off by the Vera Adrian pictures on the front of the MTB magazine we were given? Ridiculous sexist pictures of her better suited to Sports Illustrated Swimwear edition. Show me a woman who cycles with her jersey zipped down. Sexist!!!! 

I agree that the cover was off and there is mule-load of sexism in our sport, so fair point, but am I alone in finding your chosen name and your outrage at accentuating mtb cleavage a little ironic?...

Your comments about sweetie pie and the princesses suggests that you might possibly also be a bit of a knob on the trail.

Archived