Suikerbosrand closed?

HairyLegs

According to an article in yesterday's Oos-Rand Beeld the DA asked questions about this in the provincial govt. on Monday. A budget of R 26.3 million was allocated for this project .The contractor did some work and then disappeared .

Project should have been finished by the end of March. No mention of how much of the money is gone or left over.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to an article in yesterday's Oos-Rand Beeld the DA asked questions about this in the provincial govt. on Monday. A budget of R 26.3 million was allocated for this project .The contractor did some work and then disappeared .

Project should have been finished by the end of March. No mention of how much of the money is gone or left over.

The sad thing is I wasn't even shocked by the above post...  :thumbdown:

This whole debacle is such a shame. SBR is such a special place. Apart from its natural beauty the place is rich in biodiversity, and it provides a bit of a green belt in Gauteng. I am not sure if it still does, but SBR used to have the biggest Eland herd in South Africa. Furthermore it has a rich and very old cultural legacy, from the stone age up until European settlement, surely this needs to be conserved for future generations. Opposition parties should really take the cANCer government to the courts if they mess this place up.

What is the chance of SBR being declared a national park? 

I phoned yesterday and is closed to all.

we keep phoning until no one answers anymore and then we know its open to all!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys... real pity

Was ideal training roads for the Jock, planned to spend good few hours there over the next few weeks.

This just makes me sad and angry in equal measures and it brings my worst character traits out, try as i might to better myself and suppress my irrational programmed and ingrained prejudices !

Why does this country allow this ridiculous incompetence to carry on and on.....surely there must be some stage when we reach rock bottom and put those responsible up against a wall and shoot them!.......the rot just spreads and spreads! Utterly depressing! By the time my kids have grown up there will be fu*kall! left of this place!. 

This just makes me sad and angry in equal measures and it brings my worst character traits out, try as i might to better myself and suppress my irrational programmed and ingrained prejudices !

Why does this country allow this ridiculous incompetence to carry on and on.....surely there must be some stage when we reach rock bottom and put those responsible up against a wall and shoot them!.......the rot just spreads and spreads! Utterly depressing! By the time my kids have grown up there will be fu*kall! left of this place!. 

DirtyFrank I think you need to go and ride your bike!

I wonder if there is still staff at the entrances...

And in the reserve itself, patrolling and doing whatever it is they're employed to do...

Such a pitty. I remeber the place as a lighty. Watching those animal doccies and listening to the calls and alles of thise stuffed animals, hiking and picknicking with my parents. Went there not so long ago and I was so miffed at how the place had gone to the dogs. Hope they can restore it back to what it was.

It'll be sold off for "development" via some corrupt deal.....watch.

I hope I'm wrong.

you're probably correct

CoJ has been secretly selling off or trying to sell off all public land for a while now.

The last park in Melville was sold to developers in a dodgy land transfer, as the land was donated to the city.

The mashie gold course in the northcliff area was sold off.

it's the oldest trick in the (accounting) book - sell of the capital assets to make the income statement look good (or less bad).

Because the majority of the tax paying citizens didn't vote for the ruling party - unqualified statement, but probably not far from the truth.

Archived