Cape Town Cycle Tour and the CSA Forbidden Races Rule

FrankB

you got it the wrong way round - ppa don't have to apply for any of their events to be sanctioned by the csa as per their application to the courts -  now they have made an about turn and are asking the csa to sanction the argus. csa are abiding by the courts ruling. talk about a cockup of note. i wonder who is having more sleepless nights - steve hayward or william newman.

i have seen the emails from ppa to csa and csa's reply - the 2015 argus was never sanctioned by csa.

btw - i agree with you the cyclists should not be the sacrificial lamb in this fight and its going to interesting to see what happens post argus if the status quo remains.

i know of at least 5 sanctioned events taking place in Ctown before the end of march and which would attract 90% of licensed roadies. i would like to meet the person who has the guts to stand before a racing bunch and call out the names of suspended riders.

Interesting interpretation of the facts in this post.  And pretty slanted to represent your view as CSA being good and PPA being bad. But not accurate.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the R20 million going? Imagine PPA closed up shop how the hell would the auditors calculate which member or past members should receive what amount of fund!!! The fund belong to the members.

Oooh, I've heard that argument before. Are you a member of the EFF??

But on a serious note: If the PPA was run by the CSA they will close shop very quickly and there will be ZERO funds.......  

Oooh, I've heard that argument before. Are you a member of the EFF??

But on a serious note: If the PPA was run by the CSA they will close shop very quickly and there will be ZERO funds.......  

Please explain to myself and maybe to a whole lot of other cyclist who see all the pit falls in cycling (in the Western Cape) how PPA having a large "bank account" serves cycling? Please in your explanation considering that PPA gets a lot of tax concessions for been a non profit organisation / section 21 company. How can the “EXCO" look themselves in the mirror and say they are doing thing in the best interest of cycling (again in the Western Cape) and serving the general public with regards to their TAX concession! As an EX EXCO member who stood on the EXCO of PPA for 18 years I could no longer do this!

“Bank Account” has been disguised in many way by putting funding into Unit trust then these funds held in Trust with different trustees to PPA EXCO - i.e. try to make the money untouchable for the sport of cycling!!!! My fact maybe a little out dated here.

When I started on the EXCO we had a general principle that PPA had to have enough fund in the bank to run itself for 365 day - i.e. to honour the membership who became a member that day - the rest should be used for cycling. It is / was quite a simple rule of thumb but it meant we would be doing maximum for cycling with the funds we had. Even looking at Carbon29er recent comment it now all become EGO and not really servicing cycling! Hey look we have XXX in the bank and look at other sporting bodies etc. Cycling deserves better than this!!!!

Quote from Carbon29er :

However, the PPA is in robust financial health because of the quality of their Exco and the fact they guard against the exact waste of resources that has been the downfall of some other sporting bodies where sustainability not been important.

Carbon29er how many of the project donated money though project funding were consider by PPA as been unsuccessful? My last stat was about 50%! Is this this not a waste of resources???? I do have my views on this but I await your answer.

Only full CSA licensed riders will face penalty, not CSA Members.

Please note that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden races only applies to Full Racing Licence holders and not to those cyclists that hold a general Cycling South Africa membership.

I have been say it for years, when will people get in into their sculls ... there is a difference between Racing Licence (for the Pro's + Nationals + Provincials + UCI events) and Membership (for wannabe race snakes + weekend warriors + alphabet soup riders + joe soaps + plain janes).

Thanks again CSA for confusing everyone by calling it a "Day Licence" when it should have been called a Day MEMBERSHIP!

Now half of the country thinks they wont be able to yell whooopla or ride the Argus!! (Yes, I called it the Argus and there aint nothing you can do about that!)

If there was a viable alternative for pro's to come out for, they would. CSA fecked up the Tour of SA, the Giro del Capo and a host of other events and instead of trying to work with the likes of CTCT they choose to sabotage the event. CTCT will no doubt continue without CSA, but in future we may not see TV coverage or any of the big names. This will no doubt impact the Tour de Boland in future as many internationals combine the two to make the trip worth while. If CSA were developing young talent I may have looked the other way, but the fatcats fly business class and stay 5star while athletes get no support whatsoever. I wonder if they share office space with SASCOC, because the thinking is almost identical.

Posted on twitter an hour ago from CSA:

Only full CSA licensed riders will face penalty, not CSA members.

http://www.cyclingsa.com/news-and-press/2015/2/18/clarity-of-uci-rule-12019-forbidden-races-and-csa-general-membership

NEWS AND PRESS
Clarity of UCI Rule 1.2.019 Forbidden Races and CSA general membership
February 18, 2015
Please note that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden races only applies to Full Racing Licence holders and not to those cyclists that hold a general Cycling South Africa membership.

The full racing licence is for cyclists from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award. Find out more about Cycling SA’s membership and full racing licence options here: http://www.cyclingsa.com/membership/

Cyclists who hold a general CSA-membership can participate in whichever cycling event they so desire without the risk of penalties in any way.

Cycling South Africa’s function is to make all of our members and full racing licence holders fully aware of rule decisions made and enforced by the UCI. As an affiliate of the UCI, Cycling South Africa is obliged to conform to the rules and regulations of the UCI.

This UCI rule prohibits licence holders from participating in any event that has not been included on the national, continental or the UCI’s world calendar or in an event that has not been recognised by the National Federation, the continental confederation or the UCI. The UCI rule 1.2.019 and ensuing penalties is listed below once again for ease of reference.

Forbidden races

1.2.019 No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

Depending on the circumstances, a national federation and the UCI may grant special exceptions for particular races or events run in its own country.

Particular races or events may consist of:

·   Events organised occasionally only and which do not belong to the organised sports movement;

·   Events whose format is not covered by the UCI regulations.

Any national federation intending to grant a special exception must submit its reasoned request to the UCI administration in the beginning of the season and at least two months before the respective event. The decision of the UCI in this respect is final and shall not be subject to appeal.

1.2.020 Licence holders may not participate in activities organised by a national federation that has been suspended, save in application of article 18.2 of the UCI constitution.

1.2.021 Breaches of articles 1.2.019 or 1.2.020 shall render the licence holder liable to one month's suspension and a fine of CHF 50 to 100.

So I suspect the the main reason for this debacle is that CSA initially agreed to sanction this event but then; oops they forget to Snip/ 

Any national federation intending to grant a special exception must submit its reasoned request to the UCI administration in the beginning of the season and at least two months before the respective event. The decision of the UCI in this respect is final and shall not be subject to appeal.

Methinks that is the real reason. 

Jean Smyth ‏@JeanSmyth  2m2 minutes ago
Dave Bellairs on @CapeTalk567 says story re top riders possibly not being able to ride Cycle Tour w'out sanction: "blown out of proportion".

Kevin McCallum ‏@KevinMcCallum  9m9 minutes ago
Just to clarify, this is a @UCI rule on forbidden races and @Cycling_SA have to enforce it, but exceptions can be made.

There has already been mention of the fact that WPCA agreed to sanction the invitational race group at the head of the CTCT earlier on this thread or in the CSA vs PPA one. How do you then make the claims you are? 

the wpca never agreed to sanction the racing group.

Some random thoughts re. the PPA and its nest egg:

1. The idea of any solid financial management strategy should be to have sufficient funds to ensure the LONG TERM survival of an organization. The R20 million PPA has in the kitty is a testament to excellent FORWARD THINKING!

2. Most worthwhile goals take many years (decades and longer) to achieve. Long term strategy, planning and execution is needed. Having the financial stability to carry on is essential. Good job PPA.

3. Having a secure ONE YEAR financial future is VERY precarious and will not work in the long term, therefore all your long term goals will be at risk.

4. I know some feel strongly that it should be spent NOW on stuff they want NOW. But this is short sighted.

5. As an example, chasing short term goals with short term planning using easy short term (Lotto anyone?) money gave us the now sadly canned grand Tour of SA. Imagine if the planning was done long term and the funding secured long term. We could have had a showcase to the world to enhance the stature of SA cycling. In stead we have NOTHING to show for it. Perhaps a leaf can be taken out of the PPA book?

6. Let's do a "what if": What if the CSA managed to prevent the CTCT from taking place? Yes, there were threats of that a year or 2 ago! Having the financial strength to fight that threat ensured the survival of the PPA. Having 1 years worth of operating funds available would never have done the trick.

Having said all the above: I still believe that CSA and the PPA should come to terms for the sake of SA cycling! I just don't want an organization with a proven management record to be damaged by one without.  

Having said all the above: I still believe that CSA and the PPA should come to terms for the sake of SA cycling!

This part is essential, what I have noticed over time, Western Province does not have the resources to keep 2 cycling administrations going (for a lack of a better description), what with all the real races disappearing etc. The only losers here are the cyclists, fun rider or otherwise.

Both are doing cycling a disservice for various reasons, discussed ad nausea.

And basically, the shenanigans between the two parties shows me that one cannot do without the other, but the present situation I lose, you lose. Not great at all.  

K@k weather, overpriced accomodation, politics, man I am glad I stopped wasting money on this a good few years ago...

Some random thoughts re. the PPA and its nest egg:

1. The idea of any solid financial management strategy should be to have sufficient funds to ensure the LONG TERM survival of an organization. The R20 million PPA has in the kitty is a testament to excellent FORWARD THINKING!

2. Most worthwhile goals take many years (decades and longer) to achieve. Long term strategy, planning and execution is needed. Having the financial stability to carry on is essential. Good job PPA.

3. Having a secure ONE YEAR financial future is VERY precarious and will not work in the long term, therefore all your long term goals will be at risk.

4. I know some feel strongly that it should be spent NOW on stuff they want NOW. But this is short sighted.

5. As an example, chasing short term goals with short term planning using easy short term (Lotto anyone?) money gave us the now sadly canned grand Tour of SA. Imagine if the planning was done long term and the funding secured long term. We could have had a showcase to the world to enhance the stature of SA cycling. In stead we have NOTHING to show for it. Perhaps a leaf can be taken out of the PPA book?

6. Let's do a "what if": What if the CSA managed to prevent the CTCT from taking place? Yes, there were threats of that a year or 2 ago! Having the financial strength to fight that threat ensured the survival of the PPA. Having 1 years worth of operating funds available would never have done the trick.

Having said all the above: I still believe that CSA and the PPA should come to terms for the sake of SA cycling! I just don't want an organization with a proven management record to be damaged by one without.

Finally! Someone not seeing a bank balance e of R20m and not thinking GREAT! How much new track would THAT get us now!?

It's all about sustainable income. That's what the 20m is there for. You cannot spend more than it is bringing in itself. Income may change year to year but as long as that 20m is gr own and looked after, NOT depleted, then it could guarantee the future income for PPA regardless of event incomes, ensuring that they are here for WP cycling in the future and not just for as long as it takes to spend 20m

i wonder how much cavendish and renshaw will be paid to ride? i bet they won't come cheap.

No, the world's top sprinter and his lead out man don't come cheap.  About 4 million Euros for Cav, Renshaw probably around a million Euros. And MAD will probably bank about a bar in rondt.

But as they are contracted to Etixx-QuickStep, which is owned by Mr. Zdenek Bakala who owns Klein Constantia, who are hosting the MAD charity raising I guess they go where they are told to as pros.

So they are not paid by CTCT to ride.

warG, you can go to the function at Klein Constantia, it will cost you R500 donation to MAD. But as it's cycling related and not sanctioned by your beloved CSA you better check if you are allowed to go without the risk of a fine and suspension.

Finally! Someone not seeing a bank balance e of R20m and not thinking GREAT! How much new track would THAT get us now!?

It's all about sustainable income. That's what the 20m is there for. You cannot spend more than it is bringing in itself. Income may change year to year but as long as that 20m is gr own and looked after, NOT depleted, then it could guarantee the future income for PPA regardless of event incomes, ensuring that they are here for WP cycling in the future and not just for as long as it takes to spend 20m

Surely member should be getting the benefits of the Association while they are members and not subsidising future members? Then their is the question what is enough reserve funding? My experience is that the EXCO don’t have a cut off point on this and greed has the finally say! This year it is R20 million next year it will be 22 million to 25 million etc!!! But for this greed cycling is not moved froward at the speed it could be!

To use an example of what I mean - when ever I buy a new house I spend initially all the money it take to make the house the way I want it before I move in - so I can enjoy all the benefits of the new house for as long as I stay there! Other may say move in pay off the bond and only once you done that, say 10 years latter, then improve the place the way you want it. I would argue you sacrificed 10 years and only been “half” happy when you could have been 100% happy for that time. Money will never be able to buy those 10 years of “half” happiness back!

Archived