killing a chainset in less than 1000 km

Cois

Just got my replacement cassette and the thought jumped into my head.  Why will a chain - cassette combo last less than 1000 km.  Okay, less than 500 km to be honest.

It was less than 500 km ago that I replaced the rear cassette, chain, and front sprocket.  I clean my chain every week as well as after a wet ride.  But heck.  I can't remember chains and cassettes being chewed up like this in the past???  Is it just me or does it seem that the chains and cassettes does not last.  The chain was an SRAM chain with a Shimano HG61 cassette.

I replaced the chain with an XTR chain (wanted the XT chain, but the LBS did not have stock of the 9 speed chain) and the cassette I just received (CS-HG400-9)

So lets hope that this combo will last a tad longer and more than 500 km.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, did you pick up that it needed replacing or did you bike go in for a service and your LBS said it needed replacing?

That's an interesting question. What if the LBS says it must be replaced, has 100% wear? I'm a technical noob. Has about 700km on the clock (road)

Surely the cassette and chainring dont need to be replaced that often if the chain is replaced in time?

How often must the chain be replaced?

That's an interesting question. What if the LBS says it must be replaced, has 100% wear? I'm a technical noob. Has about 700km on the clock (road)

Im my limited experience with bike shops (I do all my own work on all my bikes), the first thing is always "your chain and cassette needs replacing". It like a default setting with most of them.

Road bike a cassette can last 1 year providing you change your chain frequently.

Depending on mileage (I do mine about every 3 months. Also clean and lube weekly.

Mountain bike a bit different, depending on how much mud/wet riding you do.

There again, replace chain regularly and the cassette will last longer. 

Im my limited experience with bike shops (I do all my own work on all my bikes), the first thing is always "your chain and cassette needs replacing". It like a default setting with most of them.

Road bike a cassette can last 1 year providing you change your chain frequently.

Depending on mileage (I do mine about every 3 months. Also clean and lube weekly.

It's also mostly bullcrap. You can run a cassette and chain for ages. 

Spot on - I was told exactly that this morning :ph34r:

Get yourself something like this, Chain wear tool.

The biggest cause of cassette wear is the chain links being "stretched" this causes the rollers on the chain to mesh incorrectly with the gears. That is what causes wear.

Change chain before its too stretched and your cassette will last 3 or 4 times longer.

Chain is also the cheaper part to change. 

post-35520-0-68772000-1424772885_thumb.jpg

Out of interest, did you pick up that it needed replacing or did you bike go in for a service and your LBS said it needed replacing?

I am going to replace it this time.  Was replaced by the LBS the last time.  Bike was in end of last year and chain and everything was still fine.  Noticed the gears started skipping so decided to measure chain.  Old chain were still fine and within the limits, but seems that the gears are shot.

Agreed. Buddy of mine done 5000km, yes, five thousand kilometers on a MTB chain and Cassette. I think it was XT combo and a Wolftooth front ring.

I am probably already on 1000km and still going perfect.

I am going to replace it this time.  Was replaced by the LBS the last time.  Bike was in end of last year and chain and everything was still fine.  Noticed the gears started skipping so decided to measure chain.  Old chain were still fine and within the limits, but seems that the gears are shot.

Check your cable tension first, then the cable & housing. That's normally where the majority of gearing issues arise from. 

Get yourself something like this, Chain wear tool.

The biggest cause of cassette wear is the chain links being "stretched" this causes the rollers on the chain to mesh incorrectly with the gears. That is what causes wear.

Change chain before its too stretched and your cassette will last 3 or 4 times longer.

Chain is also the cheaper part to change. 

Have one of those.  Chain measures fine with it, but chain is slipping gears when I lift my ass out of the saddle.