Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got a spare dock for a Fenix 3? Mine's gone walkies... 

Ping Mr Jigghead, he might know a guy who knows a guy.

• 2 months later...

I've had my fenix 3 for a week now, what an amazing piece of tech! Still busy figuring out all it's functions

One thing I wonder about though is the Sleep function. So supposedly if you wear the watch at night it picks up your movement and tells you how long you were in deep sleep etc. But last night I took it off and placed it on my bedside table. The next morning it tells me I was a little restless and moved around during the night. Hmmm? 

I've had my fenix 3 for a week now, what an amazing piece of tech! Still busy figuring out all it's functions

One thing I wonder about though is the Sleep function. So supposedly if you wear the watch at night it picks up your movement and tells you how long you were in deep sleep etc. But last night I took it off and placed it on my bedside table. The next morning it tells me I was a little restless and moved around during the night. Hmmm? 

love my fenix, but I have 2 small kids so I don't need to bother with the sleep function to know I did not get a good rest!!  The watch also bothers me at night so I always take it off.

love my fenix, but I have 2 small kids so I don't need to bother with the sleep function to know I did not get a good rest!!  The watch also bothers me at night so I always take it off.

hahaha spot on! I have 3 small kids, so yeah I was just interested in the watch confirming how little sleep I get at night. Maybe one of them snuck into my room to play with it while I was asleep  :ph34r:

hahaha spot on! I have 3 small kids, so yeah I was just interested in the watch confirming how little sleep I get at night. Maybe one of them snuck into my room to play with it while I was asleep  :ph34r:

hehe that might just be the truth!

What did you tell it is your normal sleep and wake times? These will influence what thinks of your sleep patterns...

What did you tell it is your normal sleep and wake times? These will influence what thinks of your sleep patterns...

21:30 in bed and 06:00 wake up time. But my point is, I put the watch on the table and it tells me I (it) moved during the night.. 

Managed to connect it with my strava account and yesterday my wife tested the live track feature. It works like a bomb! Will be cool for the family to track our progress during B&B next week :)

The Sleep function, or more accurately, the Sleep Widget, is just another activity tracker and not fairly accurate at that, even if you specify your normal sleeping hours.

For example, on my Fenix 3, my sleep hours is set at 11:00PM to 5:300AM, with an alarm at 10:45PM to remind me to switch PS4 off, or close my study books, checking the house, brush teeth, and then hit the bed, with the Fenix 3 still strapped to my arm.

But I have found that, especially with my PS4 gaming where I sometimes play till 2AM, before actually hitting the bed, the Sleep activity tracker still registers it as a sleep pattern as from 11:00 till 5:30, or sometimes even longer (eg, 10:00PM to 5:30AM) due to the fact that I sit still for long periods (in front of PS4 or study books).

The Sleep feedback shows me, on my iPhone, graphs of deep / light / awake patterns that sometimes don't reflect my actual sleep duration or times when I am really sleeping, so I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

I just use the watch to go to normal sleep hours as close as I can, aiming for 8 hours,

Btw, after some reseach on the Garmin forums, I found the following opinions:

DCRainmaker:

"Unfortunately the Garmin sleep metrics (and the sleep process as a whole) is probably the weakest out of any activity tracker out there. It's the same for all sleep-enabled products (FR920XT, Vivosmart, Fenix3, etc...)"

Various other people also mention that:

- you have to have the activity tracker enabled for Sleep, AND

- you also have to manually activate start / stop the Sleep function (same as with many other sport activity) to get a more accurate sleep data

Unfortunately the steps to start /stop the Sleep manually is complicated (too many embedded menu options), so I don't use it. 

21:30 in bed and 06:00 wake up time. But my point is, I put the watch on the table and it tells me I (it) moved during the night.. 

Managed to connect it with my strava account and yesterday my wife tested the live track feature. It works like a bomb! Will be cool for the family to track our progress during B&B next week :)

Keep in mind your phone still needs data coverage so warn them not to panic to quickly if you are stationary for too long until it gets signal again.

Not sure what the coverage is like on B&B though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Got a Fenix 3 on the weekend, a brand new but demo model, only problem is the cable with the charging clip is missing, I did get the charger though, please let me know if you have one that you're not using.

Hi guys,

Got a Fenix 3 on the weekend, a brand new but demo model, only problem is the cable with the charging clip is missing, I did get the charger though, please let me know if you have one that you're not using.

:huh:

Hi guys,

Have one up for sale for 400 if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:huh:

I just need this, I have the 2 pin charger that plug into the wall, only the cable was missing from the box:

garmin_010_12168_28_charging_and_data_cl

Have one up for sale for 400 if interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Robojedi, will PM you if I don't find anything else soon, using my dads charger at the moment.

Hi guys.

My 3 HR has recently stopped reading my heart rate.

Anyone else experience this?

Are you sure your heart is still beating? #zombie  :ph34r:

If I'm not mistaken the HR strap has a battery that needs to be changed at some stage. Maybe that's gone flat?