Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

Last year I got one of the Bike Apps off the IQ connect site and asked the creator/developer to customize the fields for me. Cost me a few dollars - no biggy.

Yesterday when going for a ride the App just stopped working - would not activate. 

I eventually got home, removed it and reinstalled (manually copying in the Apps folder and not through Garmin Connect as that is the only way to do it) but cannot get it to work. 

I then noticed the date on when I originally installed it and saw that it is exactly a year ago that I initially installed the App.

I think it may have "expired" or something - still waiting on the developer to get back to me on this but until then:

Do you guys run any specific Apps when riding or do you use the standard views?

I went for an App that shows seven fields as opposed to the only four we can have on the Fenix.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I got one of the Bike Apps off the IQ connect site and asked the creator/developer to customize the fields for me. Cost me a few dollars - no biggy.

Yesterday when going for a ride the App just stopped working - would not activate. 

I eventually got home, removed it and reinstalled (manually copying in the Apps folder and not through Garmin Connect as that is the only way to do it) but cannot get it to work. 

I then noticed the date on when I originally installed it and saw that it is exactly a year ago that I initially installed the App.

I think it may have "expired" or something - still waiting on the developer to get back to me on this but until then:

I went for an App that shows seven fields as opposed to the only four we can have on the Fenix.

I use Rider and Runner Window as my main screens and then add whatever I want around that on separate screens.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-ZA/developer/5f474e1f-572f-43d8-baf0-d7f0cbb8bce9/apps

Cool - will have a look at it.

Is the App itself customizable? i.e. can you change the fields that display on the main screen? 

Unfortunately not but go and check what it shows as it does show quite a lot as some of the fields switch between two (or more) sets of related information.

Which 7 fields do you look at whilst riding? I've never needed to have more than the 4 fields. I actually don't even look at my Fenix whilst riding, except glancing at my HR every now and again and perhaps Ascent. Distance, speed and time I check on my bike computer. 

Anyone else have any issues after V8 upgrade?

Did a 40min HIIT on the Wattbike which normally burns around 800 Cal ... gave me 200 Cal this moning?

post-19851-0-05584400-1479135627_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a Strava version of this, but being a blindly loyal Garmin fan, I thought this worked better...

Which 7 fields do you look at whilst riding? I've never needed to have more than the 4 fields. I actually don't even look at my Fenix whilst riding, except glancing at my HR every now and again and perhaps Ascent. Distance, speed and time I check on my bike computer. 

Speed, Distance, Cadence, HR, Avg Speed, Timer and HR %Max

First 6 is really all I need but the app had 7 fields, so went for HR %Max as the 7th field.

As an update on the issues I had; 

the developer fixed it for me. Said it looked like a firmware update causing the problem. All good again

Just going to piggyback off this thread as it is related. Need some guidance here.

I have almost enough cash for a Fenix 3 HR after selling off some items. Still a ways to go though. At first this was my goal, to get me one of these fine pieces of technology but now that I almost have the cash, it realize exactly how expensive this thing actually is and am contemplating this goal now.

I don't have any measurement for my riding other than the Shealth app on my Samsung which is a little pooh as I keep my phone in my pocket and can't look at the data as I ride nor do I measure heart rate or cadence. This is why I wanted some measurement device so that I can track my rides now, set some goals and just get a little faster instead of just plodding along.

A watch seemed appropriate as I do some other exercise in the week, when I can force myself up in the early morning, like some free weight stuff, cardio, lunges, planks...that sort of pooh. So I can wear a watch and measure those things in terms of HR and calories VO2..etc..insterad of having a computer on the bike.

Now, I just don't know if it's worth all that money as I sure can use the money elsewhere like for things around the house, maybe pay kiddies crèche upfront, get some tyres for my car...etc. Maybe it's best to get something a lot cheaper like a TomTom as I'm not an extreme athlete here and still have change left over but will I have regrets? The wife in principle is ok with getting the Fenix but also feels the cash could be used elsewhere.

Ayy, don't know what I should do. Any advice welcomed.

Just going to piggyback off this thread as it is related. Need some guidance here.

I have almost enough cash for a Fenix 3 HR after selling off some items. Still a ways to go though. At first this was my goal, to get me one of these fine pieces of technology but now that I almost have the cash, it realize exactly how expensive this thing actually is and am contemplating this goal now.

I don't have any measurement for my riding other than the Shealth app on my Samsung which is a little pooh as I keep my phone in my pocket and can't look at the data as I ride nor do I measure heart rate or cadence. This is why I wanted some measurement device so that I can track my rides now, set some goals and just get a little faster instead of just plodding along.

A watch seemed appropriate as I do some other exercise in the week, when I can force myself up in the early morning, like some free weight stuff, cardio, lunges, planks...that sort of pooh. So I can wear a watch and measure those things in terms of HR and calories VO2..etc..insterad of having a computer on the bike.

Now, I just don't know if it's worth all that money as I sure can use the money elsewhere like for things around the house, maybe pay kiddies crèche upfront, get some tyres for my car...etc. Maybe it's best to get something a lot cheaper like a TomTom as I'm not an extreme athlete here and still have change left over but will I have regrets? The wife in principle is ok with getting the Fenix but also feels the cash could be used elsewhere.

Its a brilliant device, gives you a ton of measurements and is good to go for a ton of sports, it a semi smart watch sending u notifications and controls your music etc...

On top op that is beautiful and works on the trail and the office..

But, what will u use it for? If just to measure distance and hr and just to check.. maybe get a cheaper device.

If you have the money and you love cycling, running, swimming, row etc get it.

But make sure u buy the right color.

I got the saphire hr and now regret not getting th silver... hell if u want a saphire cheaper give me a shout as im selling mine to get the silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have almost enough cash for a Fenix 3 HR after selling off some items. Still a ways to go though. At first this was my goal, to get me one of these fine pieces of technology but now that I almost have the cash, it realize exactly how expensive this thing actually is and am contemplating this goal now.

hi AlanD, there will always be other things to pay for first, higher priorities etc.  On the other hand (maybe soon for you), the fenix is a awesome piece of tech to have and you will not be disappointed.  Yes, you are not an extreme athlete, but neither am I, but o boy I love that watch.  Wear it almost every day.  You can always buy something cheaper that might give you some of the things that you require, but you will also always wonder what it would be like to have the fenix.  Of course you can go without it, life will not end, buy and pay the critical things first.  But if you have done that and can save up just for the watch, then just buy the thing already.  I guess only you would be able to know whether you can afford it or not.

Priorities will determine.  For me it is family first, but if I have that sorted then once in a while you can spoil yourself.  good luck mate.

There's a huge price difference between the 2 and 3. Check the 2 out too before you buy.

I had the opportunity to play with one a while back I it was just amazing and spurred on my intent to get one.

The good thing is that where I am right now financially is good. And by good I mean, the only debt currently I have is the bond and some with the folks for the bike I bought, everything else is really monthly expenses. Yes, there are other things that need to be done, some rubble removal, some wall fixing, some garden stuff....etc...nothing critical though.

This will be probably be the only time that I will have the cash to buy one and if I don't buy one now then I kiss it goodbuy forever unless the sky opens up and moneys falls into my lap.

The I have thought about getting the older one, where you have an HR strap and not at the wrist as it can be a bit cheaper but I just love the convenience of it at the wrist and not having to strap things to me.

I had the opportunity to play with one a while back I it was just amazing and spurred on my intent to get one.

The good thing is that where I am right now financially is good. And by good I mean, the only debt currently I have is the bond and some with the folks for the bike I bought, everything else is really monthly expenses. Yes, there are other things that need to be done, some rubble removal, some wall fixing, some garden stuff....etc...nothing critical though.

This will be probably be the only time that I will have the cash to buy one and if I don't buy one now then I kiss it goodbuy forever unless the sky opens up and moneys falls into my lap.

The I have thought about getting the older one, where you have an HR strap and not at the wrist as it can be a bit cheaper but I just love the convenience of it at the wrist and not having to strap things to me.

There. You have your answer :P

I was in the same boat before I bought mine.

If you regularly set yourself some fitness related goals, for example a certain time on a race, then this watch will help a lot to measure your progress and plan your approach. I am an engineer and it is in my nature to want to have measurements and graphs and things to look at.

If you only want it to track an activity in an isolated manner, only want to track what you did that day without caring what the influence would be on your performance or training for a race in two weeks time (for example), then I suspect something cheaper and simpler would suffice.

At the end of the day it is a very cool piece of tech. If you have the cash lying around, buy it. If you have other things that could also use the money, consider carefully how much of its functionality you need.

I have the silver sapphire, I think the silver helps to hide scratches, I wear mine 24/7 so it takes a beating.

Why not get the 735XT which has HR and is a little cheaper.  Does pretty much the same as the F3 for what you need.

Curious to know what recorded info you expect to get/analyse from doing stretching and strength exercises?  For me that is my time to relax and not have to worry about mining data and go enjoy based on feel.

VO2 etc is related to cardio and not so much so to the other exercises you mention.  Majority of the watches use seems to be for cycling, so may well be better to look at the Edge 520.

I have the F3 (non HR) for the last 9 months, it is permanently on my wrist as I train twice a day as a triathlete/cyclist.  Have never felt the need to upgrade to the HR version, nice to have but not needed.

Think you are just trying to justify the expense for something you want to have rather than need to have!!

EDIT: the Fenix 3 does not come with speed and cadence sensors as you said you want to measure those, so will have to buy those in addition.  The Edge 520 has those as part of the bundle

Edited by shaper