Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

I have a BLE speed/cadence sensor and a BLE chest HRM. I use them with the CycleOps IDT. So no Ant+ devices.

I cycle with an old iPhone as I don't have a Garmin 520 or such. The Strava app on the phone pics up the cadence and the Apple Watch sends the heart rate.

Will I gain anything my purchasing a Fenix5, apart from a stylish watch and something to satisfy my need for gadgets ?

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BLE speed/cadence sensor and a BLE chest HRM. I use them with the CycleOps IDT. So no Ant+ devices.

I cycle with an old iPhone as I don't have a Garmin 520 or such. The Strava app on the phone pics up the cadence and the Apple Watch sends the heart rate.

Will I gain anything my purchasing a Fenix5, apart from a stylish watch and something to satisfy my need for gadgets ?

I would say Yes, if:

1. You are on Discovery, and are chasing points;

2. You do other sports like running, hiking, swimming etc;

3. You have interest in recording and monitoring activity levels throughout the day, not just workouts. (Even sleep time and quality are available for analysis);

4. You are having Iphone battery longevity issues on longer rides;

5. You enjoy post ride data analysis;

6. You just want it.

Recorded my first surf with the fenix 3 yesterday. Got an app called surftracker from connect IQ and configured it a few days ago. Some interesting stats!

I surfed for a little over an hour and caught 19 waves. Longest ride was 125 metres. Fastest speed while surfing was 35.4 km\h. Total distance covered both catching waves and paddling around was 6.5 kays! 

Craziest stat is that my elevation for the activity says 4000m!!!! Guessing that the watch loses track of the real altitude change when it goes underwater? Will monitor that....

Minor Hi-jack

Hi Gents, I'm in need of Fenix 2 silicone/rubber replacement strap, any colour as I'm not fashion conscious at all?

Where may I source one or perhaps one of you fine gents might have one for sale?

hi-jack off

Recorded my first surf with the fenix 3 yesterday. Got an app called surftracker from connect IQ and configured it a few days ago. Some interesting stats!

I surfed for a little over an hour and caught 19 waves. Longest ride was 125 metres. Fastest speed while surfing was 35.4 km\h. Total distance covered both catching waves and paddling around was 6.5 kays! 

Craziest stat is that my elevation for the activity says 4000m!!!! Guessing that the watch loses track of the real altitude change when it goes underwater? Will monitor that....

yeah, the different pressure readings underwater would have messed with it. 

Also - remember, you're paddling. How many strokes did you complete during the sesh? Each stroke may have registered a change. 

yeah, the different pressure readings underwater would have messed with it. 

Also - remember, you're paddling. How many strokes did you complete during the sesh? Each stroke may have registered a change. 

Yeah, I can see from the graph it's gone from 0 metres to like -100 metres with most strokes. The surf track app I was running doesn't have an obvious way to figure out how many strokes I made... Might have to test another app option if I can't find it and I want to know how many paddle strokes I've made!

Hi everyone

So I have had the Fenix 3 for 3 months now and really enjoying it, however every time I do an activity, the Garmin doesn't upload automatically using Bluetooth.

I have researched a bit and have seen suggestions like creating a new Bluetooth connection to the watch, restarting the watch and phone and removing the app from the phone and then re-downloading it.

Unfortunately all of these have failed and I manually have to go to the Garmin Connect app on my phone and re-sync.

According to the Garmin connect settings Auto Upload is active. The daily sleep and step count seems to uploaded on a daily basis without my guidance just not activities.

If it helps, my phone is a Sony Z3 Xperia.

Thanks 

^^^^

Not my experience paired to an iphone 6. Everything syncs auto, once I've closed and saved the activity on my watch.

Hi everyone

So I have had the Fenix 3 for 3 months now and really enjoying it, however every time I do an activity, the .......

Had the same issue with my LG G4 and I have put it down to an issue with the version of Android.  Did contact Garmin but they could not resolve it.  When I bought the G5 with Marshmallow on everything works as it should.

Had the same issue with my LG G4 and I have put it down to an issue with the version of Android.  Did contact Garmin but they could not resolve it.  When I bought the G5 with Marshmallow on everything works as it should.

cool thanks... unfortunately there isn't a update to Marshmallow for this phone yet so may have to just live with this till an upgrade.