Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

*did it sounds bad?* :huh:

Not soooo bad. But historically they probably didn't even see the potential of all their redundancy being used uo in one fell swoop so close to the event. And you heard themm - had they had 2 or 3 weeks it would have been an option and it will be done in the future.

But I posted as I heard they had a Terry from slumerset West :)

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not soooo bad. But historically they probably didn't even see the potential of all their redundancy being used uo in one fell swoop so close to the event. And you heard themm - had they had 2 or 3 weeks it would have been an option and it will be done in the future.

But I posted as I heard they had a Terry from slumerset West :)

THAT IS WHAT MADE ME MAD !!! EVEN MORE MAD THAN LAST NIGHT!

uurrrggghhhh world class cities and world class organisations should have been able to pull this off in 3 days! If everyone can pull together for a fire, then they can pull together to put an event together. Yes it is a logistical nightmare and a massive ask - but I still believ it could have been done. The only thing in my mind that counters that anger and makes me only mad enough to type in lower font is the point Tubehunter made about the community folk and possible dangers.

And even John on 567 brought up the point - why has a route that does not involve the peninsula never been considered! (To their credit, there will be one going forward in the future!)

I am stuck on the long route Tube, I let that go after your revelation of the community buy in.

The anger and frustration comes in, in that I expected more of my world class PPA/cycle tour trust and the city of cape town. Most of my anger and frustration has been trying to come to grips with maybe I expected to much.

But if you were DB and you have had 38 successful efforts at doing this event with alternative routes in place for round the South Peninsula, that you've implemented in the past, do you suddenly make a whole host of new recovery plans for a disaster you have never experienced or considered? Is your expectation of this type of planning real or is your expectation based on the sense of disappointment actually being fueled at not getting a long days ride in, with all the typical services present at this event? Edited by Tubehunter

uurrrggghhhh world class cities and world class organisations should have been able to pull this off in 3 days! If everyone can pull together for a fire, then they can pull together to put an event together. Yes it is a logistical nightmare and a massive ask - but I still believ it could have been done. The only thing in my mind that counters that anger and makes me only mad enough to type in lower font is the point Tubehunter made about the community folk and possible dangers.

And even John on 567 brought up the point - why has a route that does not involve the peninsula never been considered! (To their credit, there will be one going forward in the future!)

2 weeks ago there was no fire and I rode 115 Kay's doing a practice ride using everything other than the N2 and the M3! How the heck can you be acid that they didn't begin alternate plans with that timeline when there was no sign of fires at that time? This is all a result of fires of this magnitude DURING Lifecycle week! Edited by Tubehunter

But if you were DB and you have had 38 successful efforts at doing this event with alternative routes in place for round the South Peninsula, that you've implemented in the past, do you suddenly make a whole host of new recovery plans for a disaster you have never experienced or considered? Is your expectation of this type of planning real or is your expectation based on the sense of disappointment actually being fueled in the disappointment at not getting a long days ride in, with all the typical services present at this event?

Hindsight is always 20/20. NOBODY foresaw this exact disaster, the timing or the magnitude thereof. If anybody claims that he did, prove it, show me the letter, memo, e-mail, report that you wrote. (Nostradamus perhaps did, and Siener Van Rensburg, but their writings were misunderstood because it was gibberish.) 

Edited by DJR

I have to disagree with you there T. I honestly think that world class cities (whatever those are) would have needed about the same amount of time given the amount of people involved,aand would not have been able to pull a new route out of a hat when something like this was going on and taking all the stakeholders attention. The enemy here was time. Pure and simple.

BRING ON THE BEEEEEEEEEER BEEEECHES.

(Not being local where would the best place to stop/fill a hydration pack with beer be?)

Looks like the kiddies Argus will be longer than the main event....trollalalalalalahhh  :devil:

Ok, jokes aside, lets go out there and enjoy it.

Don't forget black armband on the right for the lost cycling souls and red on the left in solidarity for the efforts of our wonderful firepeople

Edited by Btus

Also looks like all the finishers would be getting a sub 3 :whistling:  cause there is a 3 hour cut-off

Packing my stuff. Had it all worked out for 230km of cycling. Bought stuff I don't need to use on the 2nd lap (helping). Maps, time cards, food, seconding etc. all prepared. A year of working to get the right seeding.

Feeling a bit blue tonight. It is an expensive weekend with 2 days of not working thrown in. I will come and make the best of it but I no matter how you look at it - for some of us this chance may not be available again.

Definitely a sense of loosing something. :wacko:

Aah well, the bigger picture...

Packing my stuff. Had it all worked out for 230km of cycling. Bought stuff I don't need to use on the 2nd lap (helping). Maps, time cards, food, seconding etc. all prepared. A year of working to get the right seeding.

Feeling a bit blue tonight. It is an expensive weekend with 2 days of not working thrown in. I will come and make the best of it but I no matter how you look at it - for some of us this chance may not be available again.

Definitely a sense of loosing something. :wacko:

Aah well, the bigger picture...

Do a ride out to Hout Bay on Saturday. There will be plenty of cyclists out there to share the experience with. Yes, it feels kinda weird to be doing what you are now, knowing you prepped for a race day, but it should prove to be one of the most memorable events in its history and these will remain long after our own memories of individual glory at chasing whatever time we had been prepping and planning for! Shot for coming down and being a part of this dude!