Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Hi Guys, my 1st Argus so I am very disappointed - but it is what it is. It is not the race organizers or the City of Cape Towns fault. I will be lining up on Sunday with my poppie.

I can only hope for the following : ( I know I will be blasted by some so you can write what you like - i wont respond )

1. That the race organizers in future will have a contingency plan/ alternative route as back-up that does not involve  the ride around the mountain. If this ever happen again (God forbid) on this scale and none of the routes are accessible  around the mountain that they can just make the decision to move it to Stellenbosch for example and all the permissions etc is in place. - A permanent back-up route away from Cape town.

2. I hope this event count as a seeding event and the weighting is allot - i don't see why the moaners and guys who now don't want to support it must get preferential seeding next year before the "true supporters" of the race. Let them start behind the TRUE SUPPORTERS..

3. I hope everyone will stay in their respective starting groups - if every one drops back ( lets face it - it is not a race anymore but a funride/supporters ride ) the field will be very heavily congested. If you take 35000 bicycles and line them up front wheel to back wheel - that is over 50 km off bikes - longer than the race itself. The 1st guy will be over the finish line and the last one still 5 km from the start. JA-JA I know we all don't ride in one straight line and on the day we will be riding next to each other, but still - we cant all start at the same time - it will be chaos and will just cause accidents.

One good thing is I will have the best time for the Argus in our office and my record of sub 3 will stand for along time.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anybody know if there is a group ride on Saturday planned to go from Stellenbosch to Somerset West to Grabouw to Franschhoek to Pniel and back to Stellenbosch - 140 km 

I'm keen - but would prefer cycling in a group for safey

that is the 4 passes route - you go over the 4 passes very nice ride - but to long for a weekend warrior like me. enjoy it and stop for a brekkie in Franschoek.

Not ONCE did I say I want to ride Chappies, it is damn dangerous.

I knew on Monday that chances are good the original route will not be used, and the alternative route "might" also burn....if I could see it why could then not?

Would have been nice if David B actually said this .... that 3 days is not enough.

TBH he shouldn't have to. It's logical. Common sense, even. Plus it's what everyone has been saying on this thread for the past 36 bloody pages.

So I've learnt a few things in the last day or so.

*the Argus makes a SHEDLOAD of cash. 

*it is a piece of piss to organise. 

I can't wait till the keyboard experts here put on events like this soon, we are going to be spoilt for choice when it comes to options.

Give that man a Bells! :clap:

You see that is the problem there.....it should not have been three days but 365...the Monday after the Argus...when they have their post mortem....they should start planning ...for ALL contingencies. ..the thought of have an alternative route in another area was never considered. ..for an event of this size...that is a f*ck up....but hey ...let's hope they have their ducks in a row come next year....☺

ok so they must get a completely separate start and finish venue, and separate route, pay for the necessary approvals, closures etc. for both scenarios to get the permissions in place because a natural disaster of Epic proportions happened once in 38 years. Next year we will have the wind or extreme heat again, so factor that in as well with this new route, perhaps source an indoor venue for this... IT MAKES COMPLETE SENSE... 

Guest Smimby

TBH he shouldn't have to. It's logical. Common sense, even. Plus it's what everyone has been saying on this thread for the past 36 bloody pages.

No-one has explained it like you.

1. The CTCT had a backup plan, route A, B, C etc.

2. Monday was to late to implement any other plan (Northen Route) etc

Now it makes sense, so we can ONLY flame them for not seeing that there "could" be a fire that will take out ALL the routes and backup routes once in 14-20 years.

:-) 

added to that - the existing route has about 4 or 5 levels of redundancy, each larger than the one preceding it. This disaster took out ALL of them, which no reasonable person would ever expect. The approval is already granted for the roads they are now using - except for the ones affected by the fire. 

Get over it. 

Okay so Plan A B and C couldnt work as all the routes where affected by the fire.

Why wait though until Wednesday evening? Its not like the fire/ash etc etc would have dissappeared from Mon-Wed

If they made a call on Monday they would have had some time to find/arrange an alternative route.

Now this makes a lot of sense, thanks

Edit, I don't think that most people will know this info regarding permission, city and disaster management giving the OK.

So it is likely that they "could" have asked for another route and told NO....

Also explains, why they are using the exact route as original with a slight change in the end.

Thanks for the explanation without name calling and belittleling 

:-)

TBH I don't think it was ever even considered - te guys on the CTCTT know how much prep goes into something like this, and they would have seen the timeline & done the math. It was just never possible given the extreme proximity to the race itself. 

If there had been a month long gap, maybe. But the primary concern in that case (after getting route planning permission from the city) would have been the notice to the residents in the affected area. You can't spring something like a full day road closure on them without significant notice. It would be challenged in court and likely overturned. 

Okay so Plan A B and C couldnt work as all the routes where affected by the fire.

Why wait though until Wednesday evening? Its not like the fire/ash etc etc would have dissappeared from Mon-Wed

If they made a call on Monday they would have had some time to find/arrange an alternative route.

Nope. Not enough time. Seriously... 

Emergency services, public participation & notification of the closed roads, etc etc etc. Takes far longer than 3 days to set that up. 

do you think they sat on their hands for 3 days? Don't you think there were emails, telephone conferences, etc between disaster management, the mayors office, the premier's office, the Trust, PPA and rotary or do you think they had pina coladas for 3 days and only had a sit-down on wednesday to take the easy way out? 

Nope. Not enough time. Seriously... 

Emergency services, public participation & notification of the closed roads, etc etc etc. Takes far longer than 3 days to set that up. 

Okay so lets look at when the fire started and when did you guys in Cape Town realise its now a braaivleis fire?

Surely somewhere someone should have said, "okes this fire is serious we need to sit and discuss some alternative plans"

Or lets wait till Wednesday when its waaaaaaaaaaaaay to late to do anything and then make a decision

do you think they sat on their hands for 3 days? Don't you think there were emails, telephone conferences, etc between disaster management, the mayors office, the premier's office, the Trust, PPA and rotary or do you think they had pina coladas for 3 days and only had a sit-down on wednesday to take the easy way out? 

Glu I need you stop flexing your calves and try to have a normal discussion

Thanks son

Okay so lets look at when the fire started and when did you guys in Cape Town realise its now a braaivleis fire?

Surely somewhere someone should have said, "okes this fire is serious we need to sit and discuss some alternative plans"

Or lets wait till Wednesday when its waaaaaaaaaaaaay to late to do anything and then make a decision

I am sure the role players were already in discussion on Monday morning at 7am and decided to make a call at the latest possible moment, given that a re-route would not be possible as so concisely explained by the Captain. 

Sadly, common sense not that common anymore.

Glu I need you stop flexing your calves and try to have a normal discussion

Thanks son

I just wonder what makes you assume that they sat and did diddly squat until Wednesday.