Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Guest Smimby

M3 = MOTORWAY number 3. Managed by the local authorities.

N1, N2, N7 = National Highway number 1, 2 and 7. Manged by the National authorities.

Work with us Smimby, or is this just deliberate obstinance?

Not sure what you mean, the word Freeway was used. and Both N and M is a freeway....

In my mind Freeway is Freeway... :-)

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a restriction on riding 2 laps?

Not sure what you mean, the word Freeway was used. and Both N and M is a freeway....

In my mind Freeway is Freeway... :-)

M is for Motorway. As it from UK English before SA was bastardised by American English and the term freeway came along

N roads were not motorways

Guest Smimby

yes the race brings lots of revenue. So does the tourism. The thousands of people who come out here every year/day to head up on the cable car or head off into the winelands. Just because its march does not mean that the only tourists in town need to ride bikes. Thats just plain ignorant.

So now I am selfish, because I disagree with the fact that AT THE LAST MINUTE, you guys propose closing other major roads?

Cant you see the fact that this race already causes chaos for a lot of people due to road closures (And dont give me some rubbish about theyve been warned - if people work weekends they work weekends, they still need the roads to get to places they need to be).

The road closure signs have been up since JANUARY. Can you imagine the absolute CHAOS and resultant negative attitude towards cyclists and cycling if 3 days befoe the even we suddenly decide to close completely different roads off?

You want all the cyclist and everyone else to understand what had happened and be ok with the shorter but at the same time you don't want to "inconvenience" other people? SO lets just inconvenience the "cyclists" then ?

The OTHER "major road will actually have had LESS of an impact than th current 47km route, did you know?

You cannot be both angry with the organisers and feel solidarity with the firefighters and have a healthy perspective on life and what is important.

1. I find it really strange that the organisers do not cater for disasters. I thought they would have a separate route on standby. Perhaps that's naive on my part.

2. What if I don't want to ride in "solidarity"? What if I donated to the firefighters directly in solidarity. I paid for a race... I entered a race... What now? Fun ride, moonlight mass style?

The organisers are taking the p*ss.

Guest Smimby

rather the 45km than not having the race at all dude.

What is it with this attitude? I might as well then say, at least Nkandla only cost 240 and 500 Mil?

The organisers should have woken up on Monday, and communicated properly, not say NOTHING till last night!

Guest Smimby

M is for Motorway. As it from UK English before SA was bastardised by American English and the term freeway came along

N roads were not motorways

I know it stands for Motorway and National road, but not sure what difference it makes when you want to ride on them for a cycle race.

But be that as it may, the bottom line is that the organisers could have used a route north, without using a N - road.  Many option are open towards the north.

To those who cannot grasp the congestion issues... Many will ride with mates and fall back into later start groups. Many will have a chilled ride averaging 20 instead of 35, spending more time on the same stretch of road. Many will stop, take photos, have a drink at the water tables that would normally not even have noticed it. Many will boose heavily riding in not so straight lines.

To those that cannot grasp that the event costs will not drop... Do you honestly think that zero cash was spent to date and that all costs will be incurred on race day as every rider passes a kilometer marker? Salaries of organisers are paid regardless (likely including overtime work to make the required changes). I'm sure 99% of service providers have been paid deposits by now and would still insist on the invoice amounts being paid as per the purchase orders... The only saving will be on the tonnes of cokes, bananas and whatever else they would have given to the dudes being out there for 7 hours on their saddles. Last time I checked coke and bananas weren't refundable at you local grocery store either... So simply transferring your entry fee to next year, well good luck.

My few cents?

Are you a pro racing for the winning purse or just a "fun rider"? Fun rider in the sense that you do it as a sport in amateur status. You may beat your PB or your mates but you will gain nothing but bragging rights.

Will you still say it is "THE ARGUS" if you are unable to enter or race for whatever personal reason if it was the original route and everything was normal? Maybe, but you will accept the fact and just enter for next year.

Treat this race us such, if you are in CT enjoy the short route and maybe just don't race hard and enjoy the scenery that CT has to offer right now.

Just because you think you're right doesn't make you right and to spew venom at other opinions is, childish

Spewing venom?? What are you on? I was just agreeing with Tumbles that I was going to do the ride. Jeepers, take a chill pill boet.

So has anybody been down to the expo yet.....no complaints. ..is it going smoothly and you were in and out in under 5 mins...????????????

To those that cannot grasp that the event costs will not drop.......

I agree - most of their expenses would be paid by now, and they will simply not have the funds to refund anyone.  It will be nice if they add something extra to the goody bag as a conselation gift, but I doubt that they will have that kind of funds left.

Guest Smimby

run out of likes (again) but good post.

you changing you stance now?

My few cents?

Are you a pro racing for the winning purse or just a "fun rider"? Fun rider in the sense that you do it as a sport in amateur status. You may beat your PB or your mates but you will gain nothing but bragging rights.

Will you still say it is "THE ARGUS" if you are unable to enter or race for whatever personal reason if it was the original route and everything was normal? Maybe, but you will accept the fact and just enter for next year.

Treat this race us such, if you are in CT enjoy the short route and maybe just don't race hard and enjoy the scenery that CT has to offer right now.

Slow down, are you saying that bragging rights with your mates is worth nothing? :o

On that note, time to go make some M3 segments and flag anybody that has left garmin on after rambling in tokai forrest. (Favourite past time)

So has anybody been down to the expo yet.....no complaints. ..is it going smoothly and you were in and out in under 5 mins...

you stirrer you ..... I will tell you tomorrow