Emperors Palace Classic 2015

Harryn

Hey I was one of those guys working hard to get back after the R23 crash. 3 Giants and a Raleigh I think. I suffered a bit later on because of that, dropped back on the climbs, formed a group with about 4 guys and the hand cycle guy. I saw the major crash, dropped off again and soloed home in 2:53. I was on target for a 2:45 but legs, traffic and slow riders hampered my last 15 km. Mostly legs though :blush:

Good job! I was in the Cresta shirt. Glad you survived the crashes.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the the time we got through the mad traffic and parking issues, i missed my start group , IL. We had to start with EM, and as said above, had no option but to do the short race, which I really enjoyed. Quickly got through the slower riders, and worked together with my mates to finish in 1.25 - with great fun had by all.

That said, I still feel cheated out of the long distance which I paid for, and needed, both for seeding and training purposes. I know the briefing email said get there early, but I really thought more could have been done to alleviate the traffic nightmare.

I know the briefing email said get there early, but I really thought more could have been done to alleviate the traffic nightmare.

Definitely agree.

I was warned traffic was bad so left earlier than originally planned and the only reason I made my start time is because I had my sister driving so just by the SAA Technical entrance I jumped out and rode to the start otherwise I'd never have made it.

I was in VB, this seems unfair, or is it justified because we were caught by a bunch further back? Quite a few guys were pretty PO.

That's the normal rule.

Don't like it?  Pedal faster or join us when we try to establish a break of our own :clap:

I see that the break of VC finished 4 minutes faster than VB, so either we caught them again, or the gap between starts wasn't 5 minutes, or my story is a pack of lies.

Also noticed that the front of DL (me included :D) were quicker than the winning time of CL. Okes were motoring.

Also noticed that the front of DL (me included :D) were quicker than the winning time of CL. Okes were motoring.

o yes they were - neutral zone for the first 1 km (whatever), and from there they just kept on pushing. I think if it wasn't for the 55km joining at the end it would have been faster

They attacked constantly, started at the back so not sure if there was a break we were trying to catch?

ps: Anybody know why they neutralized VB in the middle for a bit, nobody seems to understand it. 

So you were also one of the many guys wheel sucking your way to a bunch finish. Maybe if you saw the front of the bunch more often you would know that there was a break away.... Just saying

VB Neutralized? Standard rule if you get caught by a group behind you. If you don't like it pedal faster.

VA went out a lot faster than I thought it would. There were more people in the group than I thought and therefore the teams were on the attack.

They attacked constantly, started at the back so not sure if there was a break we were trying to catch?

Found myself towards the front in the last few KMs, but lost out on the last turn onto the straight and the sprint group got a small gap on the rest. Think we came in around 2h20.

ps: Anybody know why they neutralized VB in the middle for a bit, nobody seems to understand it. 

I found the first 30 km to be fairly "chilled", Just hard and fast. But once we turned right after carnival the hammer dropped. There where no breaks that got away and the first proper attempts happened from about 30km. A few mates from elite told me they where told to get a move on as we where catching them and at one stage where only 2 min behind them on the road!

Must say I think Mike really deserved the win, He raced hard yesterday!

Any other VA's know what happened towards the end on Rondebult by the nissan dealer, I was on the left of the bunch and next second a few guys where swerving and braking on the right. Don't think anyone came off luckily.

Happy with 2hr 20min.

I found the first 30 km to be fairly "chilled", Just hard and fast. But once we turned right after carnival the hammer dropped. There where no breaks that got away and the first proper attempts happened from about 30km. A few mates from elite told me they where told to get a move on as we where catching them and at one stage where only 2 min behind them on the road!

Must say I think Mike really deserved the win, He raced hard yesterday!

Any other VA's know what happened towards the end on Rondebult by the nissan dealer, I was on the left of the bunch and next second a few guys where swerving and braking on the right. Don't think anyone came off luckily.

Happy with 2hr 20min.

Mmmmm there was a break away from about 45km into the race. That is when the hammer dropped yes. because we were trying to close it down. Caught them with 10km to go...

There was a touch of wheels but no one came off. 

Mmmmm there was a break away from about 45km into the race. That is when the hammer dropped yes. because we were trying to close it down. Caught them with 10km to go...

There was a touch of wheels but no one came off. 

Ja I meant from the start. He was saying we went out harder than he expected and was asking was there was a break early on and there wasn't as far as I knew. Well that's the way I understood his post.

Glad no one came off, Would have been lousy with only a few kms to go.

Cant recall last year there been issues with traffic getting to venue, wonder what was so different this year. 

Ja I meant from the start. He was saying we went out harder than he expected and was asking was there was a break early on and there wasn't as far as I knew. Well that's the way I understood his post.

Glad no one came off, Would have been lousy with only a few kms to go.

Yes that's what I meant. And like I said in my original post, I started at the back of the batch so couldn't what went down, hence me asking.

Cant recall last year there been issues with traffic getting to venue, wonder what was so different this year. 

I was there at about 0540 and they only had 2 booms open for entry. It was already looking like a stuff up then, So if they kept it like that then i'm not surprised people where late.

Archived