Emperors Palace Classic 2015

Harryn

A SSW breeze means some crosswinds mid-course and a nice tailwind for the last 18km home.

Edit: but it's a gentle wind - not enough to have much of an impact on racing.

The effect that a gutter creates is more than enough

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The effect that a gutter creates is more than enough

Although a 10-15 km/h wind is considered a glassy flat day at the coast ;), OK for the racing batches, yes I'd agree should will be enough of an effect and they know how to take advantage of echelons. All the rest of us plebs will just continue to ride in a klompie irrespective of wind direction (no-one will be attacking and trying to break up the groups).

The problem with this SSW wind is that the 'gutter' will be the centre white line of the road when coming back home (wind will be blowing L - R across the road). So it's going to make for dangerous conditions for those who are really racing because there are going to be a lot of people crossing the centre into traffic.

No cable ties in my envelope for my number board. Luckily I have some spare. So if your a licensed rider and only registering tomorrow make sure you get cable ties before Sunday morning.

Although a 10-15 km/h wind is considered a glassy flat day at the coast ;), OK for the racing batches, yes I'd agree should will be enough of an effect and they know how to take advantage of echelons. All the rest of us plebs will just continue to ride in a klompie irrespective of wind direction (no-one will be attacking and trying to break up the groups).

The problem with this SSW wind is that the 'gutter' will be the centre white line of the road when coming back home (wind will be blowing L - R across the road). So it's going to make for dangerous conditions for those who are really racing because there are going to be a lot of people crossing the centre into traffic.

Gutter is actually on the left!! :-)

No cable ties in my envelope for my number board. Luckily I have some spare. So if your a licensed rider and only registering tomorrow make sure you get cable ties before Sunday morning.

You had to take from the basket just in front of the envelope box:))

Wow wow wow! Congrats to the race organisers for an awesome day. I thouroughly enjoyed my ride today, be it only a 20km, but I had no issues with bottlenecks this year and the course was awesome. Well done guys.

Don't know if I posted this in the correct place or not ...

Wow wow wow! Congrats to the race organisers for an awesome day. I thouroughly enjoyed my ride today, be it only a 20km, but I had no issues with bottlenecks this year and the course was awesome. Well done guys.

Don't know if I posted this in the correct place or not ...

Today was my first race ever. Also 20km.

Found the entire process great. Registration, race, etc.. Was all great. 

I had some bottlenecks, but got past them eventually.

Was a great morning. 

Then we spent the day hunting for a bike for my wife. She is keen to get into it now. Fantastic!

Gutter is actually on the left!! :-)

He, he stupid me - loong week :-( sorry tombeej

I see the wind wchanged to NE-NNE!  Eish so NOW the gutter, will be in the real gutter. 

Good luck to all tomorrow, it's going to be fast so keep relaxed, give the guys some room, most importantly remember to have fun!

First time racing in CL. Normally ride AL, but had late entry.

What's the riding like in CL???

I found in the past that racing in a lower group is harder than in AL as you are only like 10 guys who are strong enough to stay together and work together

I found in the past that racing in a lower group is harder than in AL as you are only like 10 guys who are strong enough to stay together and work together

Okay, makes sense. So best to sit in the front and see who can pull together?

Yeah CL remained bunched up until waayyyy late into the race last year. Difficult to drop weaker riders on such a flat course when they getting sucked along by a big group.

Hope you all have great ride tomorrow. Loved the uphill sprint finish. Stay safe. Rubber side down.

I had no intention of doing this race but a friend of mine can't make it now.

Is it possible to do a late change tomorrow or after the race at all if I have endomondo record of my race and his number?

He, he stupid me - loong week :-( sorry tombeej

I see the wind wchanged to NE-NNE! Eish so NOW the gutter, will be in the real gutter.

Ah ha, you had me scratching my head there. Safe racing :)

Archived