Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

You may be right, but I think a bit of goodwill would have existed if TMNP had opened Tokai sooner and there may have been a bit more pulling than before. Or we would maybe have raised some funds to pay someone else to do that or maybe TMNP would have been compelled to spend some money. By the look of it we are seeing Tokai going further downhill making scoping of trails and rebuilds harder by the month. 

Ai Tim, there is only one reality here. The one where the place was closed and the aliens bound to come up.

As I see it there are MUCH better ways to spend the people's money than to 1.) raise R150 000 to cut a 45m line of trees or 2.) raising part of the estimated 29 000 person days's salary to clear aliens. 

The rest without facts is just conjecture.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai Tim, there is only one reality here. The one where the place was closed and the aliens bound to come up.

As I see it there are MUCH better ways to spend the people's money than to 1.) raise R150 000 to cut a 45m line of trees or 2.) raising part of the estimated 29 000 person days's salary to clear aliens. 

you mean that the time cost is 29,000 man days? AKA 290,000 man hours @ 10 hours a day?

Well that was a good stretch of the imagination. On the last build day, how many people did you see pulling aliens?

Was it mandated on a build day to pull aliens?

If it's decided that today we're pulling aliens, and I can make it. I'll be pulling aliens.

you mean that the time cost is 29,000 man days? AKA 290,000 man hours @ 10 hours a day?

..you mean where it takes 1 person 33 years to clear Tokai of all the aliens?  Don't know, you did the maths.  :P

If it's decided that today we're pulling aliens, and I can make it. I'll be pulling aliens.

yeah but Dave, you're one of the few that will actually follow that up and pitch on the day... You have to admit that the ratio of physically active vs verbally active is so low it's laughable. If you say "we're pulling aliens this weekend" it'll be even worse... 

yeah but Dave, you're one of the few that will actually follow that up and pitch on the day... You have to admit that the ratio of physically active vs verbally active is so low it's laughable. If you say "we're pulling aliens this weekend" it'll be even worse... 

If someone was to say that the only way that we will EVER be able to have singletrack in Tokai again, was for us to volunteer and remove the aliens ourselves, there might be a better response.

But to be told that we cant ride there until everything has been cleared and the fynbos is reinstated and unicorns roam freely, and then watch as seemingly nothing is done (flame suit on) and aliens grown into insurmountable problems. The irritation levels will rise...

If someone was to say that the only way that we will EVER be able to have singletrack in Tokai again, was for us to volunteer and remove the aliens ourselves, there might be a better response.

But to be told that we cant ride there until everything has been cleared and the fynbos is reinstated and unicorns roam freely, and then watch as seemingly nothing is done (flame suit on) and aliens grown into insurmountable problems. The irritation levels will rise...

Why must we speak in extremes?

It was mandated to work on trails and we still didn't see much of you. If it was mandated to pull aliens, we would have a turnout of one - but only if you could make it.  

Point is that for there to be trails at least some of that alien thicket has to be cleared surely? TMNP don't want the aliens there (I think - more conjecture or is that a fact? :-))

It was mandated to work on trails and we still didn't see much of you. If it was mandated to pull aliens, we would have a turnout of one - but only if you could make it.  

Sorry but thats just bitchy, counterproductive and again, pure conjecture. If you can't deal with logic, rather keep quiet.

Sorry but thats just bitchy, counterproductive and again, pure conjecture. If you can't deal with logic, rather keep quiet.

Ah well. I saw that as more factual considering I did not see him at any of the builds, certainly in 2014. Besides, we pulled aliens on every build but then you wouldn't know this either.

Here's two tweets calling for help. Total (mountain biker) turnout - or should I not state the obvious?

https://twitter.com/AMA_TokaiMTB/status/690898703406764032 

Edited by (Deon)

At the last build day I was told not to pull out aliens, because that's not our job  :ph34r:

I smell a conspiracy theory...  :whistling:

Ja, not YOUR job. You were probably doing something more important like filling the bakkie or pushing heavy wheelbarrows while the rest of us made sure the beers stayed in the shade.

Point is that for there to be trails at least some of that alien thicket has to be cleared surely? TMNP don't want the aliens there (I think - more conjecture or is that a fact? :-))

That's where two guys take the lead clearing bigger debris, one brushcutter follows, then two guys with spades to dig out problem roots and a few guys behind to shape and rake the trail.

The alien growth really is not our problem..

Well that was a good stretch of the imagination. On the last build day, how many people did you see pulling aliens? 

Ja, not YOUR job. You were probably doing something more important like filling the bakkie or pushing heavy wheelbarrows while the rest of us made sure the beers stayed in the shade.

That's where two guys take the lead clearing bigger debris, one brushcutter follows, then two guys with spades to dig out problem roots and a few guys behind to shape and rake the trail.

The alien growth really is not our problem..

:huh:...ok? 

Who the hell do you think you are??

My job and family don't allow me to go to build often. When I can I go. The fact you that you haven't seen me means **** all to me.