Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Just to get back on topic here, can someone tell me exactly where we stand, what progress has been made since the closure and what still needs to be done to make sure when Tokai opens again things can get going as soon as possible?

I'll let Deon answer that. I wasn't at the meeting yesterday, unfortunately

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one HELLUVA loop, that's for sure. Taxing, yet rewarding. I'd rate it above the mast climb ito difficulty for sure. Mast is just a long slog on tar. 

haha, I hated that! When ever I was asked to join for a mast mission I just rolled my eyes.

Swimming on a hot summers morning vs sweaty selfies at a reception tower.

Its a no brainer for me. In other news I found my halflid! Its going to be a full face free summer for me. Damn getting excited thinking about riding up there this summer.

Can't wait!

Slapsock,

Vision created and presented, response from the business development unit expressing interest and setting the direction for future management, rationalisation process and EMP process linked and deliverables committed to dates. Stakeholder meetings and comments from other users planned and invitations to representative groups to be sent out soon.

What needs to be made clear is that the intention is to have the trails/some of the trails ready before the area opens. This requires a whole new trail plan due to the change in landscape, new conservation requirements and the requirement to establish a product designed for all that creates a flow to minimise conflict.

Funding interest is growing and a few possible personalities to possibly be flown in to assist in trails planning. 

Public participation process coming, you will be informed through various media and can comment of the various presentations.

Slapsock,

Vision created and presented, response from the business development unit expressing interest and setting the direction for future management, rationalisation process and EMP process linked and deliverables committed to dates. Stakeholder meetings and comments from other users planned and invitations to representative groups to be sent out soon.

What needs to be made clear is that the intention is to have the trails/some of the trails ready before the area opens. This requires a whole new trail plan due to the change in landscape, new conservation requirements and the requirement to establish a product designed for all that creates a flow to minimise conflict.

Funding interest is growing and a few possible personalities to possibly be flown in to assist in trails planning. 

Public participation process coming, you will be informed through various media and can comment of the various presentations.

Thanks Deon

Some good news there I guess, hopefully the funding comes through. I'm assuming you guys need access to assess and develop the trail plan, any idea what they will allow this?

haha, I hated that! When ever I was asked to join for a mast mission I just rolled my eyes.

Swimming on a hot summers morning vs sweaty selfies at a reception tower.

Its a no brainer for me. In other news I found my halflid! Its going to be a full face free summer for me. Damn getting excited thinking about riding up there this summer.

Can't wait!

Awesome! I'm going to try and hit that loop as often as possible when it opens up again. 

And yeah. It was a bit of a slog to the mast. That climb to the tar was good though. Pretty technical in places after the rain slapped it to shreds a few times. 

Slapsock,

Dammit Deon! That post provoked more anticipation than watching the Superman vs Batman teaser. I can't wait. 

Thanks Deon

Some good news there I guess, hopefully the funding comes through. I'm assuming you guys need access to assess and develop the trail plan, any idea what they will allow this?

Access not really a big issue now, the place is destroyed, we all know that. Process and planning is critical right now and rationalisation will get all the info we need on where the future trails will be routed. We have a terms of reference document for this project which obviously secures access to ground truth. The consultant needs to be paid to carry out the rationalisation.. this is also a consideration for the short-term.

Thanks for the support.

Edited by (Deon)
added few words to clarify

Is there any chance of negotiating a silvermine section for mtb?

:-SS

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Is there any chance of negotiating a section for mtb?

I seriously doubt it mate, even if we tried I get the feeling that the old section would be open before a decision would be reached.

Hold on, you're blaming SANParks for TokaiMTB not asking the right questions?

My boss always says want the right information ask the right questions

chalk this one up to experience

Nice edit there, adding stuff to make your post look reasonable after the fact.

Going back to where this started last night -

We asked the right question but we're given false (or at best misleading information), short of calling the officials liars in meetings there isn't much we can do.

I seriously doubt it mate, even if we tried I get the feeling that the old section would be open before a decision would be reached.

Its worth a try man. Go in with a proposal where the trails possibly all interlink into tokai at some point. So that everytime a section is opened the is a trail for it.

I know its easier to say Than done but surely some negotiating can be done.

I didn't edit the content. In fact it's exactly as I posted it. Maybe what has changed is your perception of the problem

Edited by raptor-22

I didn't edit the content

Yrs you did, I'm not the only one to notice.

Anyhow enough for now, hopefully your question was answered.

Its worth a try man. Go in with a proposal where the trails possibly all interlink into tokai at some point. So that everytime a section is opened the is a trail for it.

I know its easier to say Than done but surely some negotiating can be done.

We can ask next time we are in with them, will give feedback when we have any news.

Not sure when the next meeting is - will have to get back to you on that.

I edited it 4 min after I posted it to add the last sentence.

I think your perception has changed.

So if this is the best you can manage for an apology I can accept with reservations.

I edited it 4 min after I posted it to add the last sentence.

I think your perception has changed.

So if this is the best you can manage for an apology I can accept with reservations.

Ahh so now you have edited it?

My reply and all that followed was based on your original post ( shown in its entirety in my original reply) that was a simple one line attack and you added more than the last line.

Again I was not the only person that noticed.

Let it go.