Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being winter now, I took up running this week. I can only get away at 17H00 when my guys go off duty, but not enough time for a ride. So...

Monday started. Did a measly 2.2km. But felt great. Lungs could take the pace, and that came from cycling.

Wed I went out again. 4km this time. Again - a breeze. I got hooked, and got myself a FR410. Running with my Edge 500 was not cool.

Today I did just under 6. I burnt a little today.

Tomorrow and Sunday is trail riding. Yay. The end of week treat.

Hi. Check how your foot strikes the ground. Heel or midfoot "ball area behind your toe's. Heel striking puts a lot of stress on the joints. While midfoot uses your muschles more to achieve the running motion. Less stress on joints and no chin sleet. Start of slowly when you go from landing on your heels to modfoot. Abt 2 km at a time building up from there. You will feel your calf's like never before. But push through. The proof is in the pudding

Hi. Check how your foot strikes the ground. Heel or midfoot "ball area behind your toe's. Heel striking puts a lot of stress on the joints. While midfoot uses your muschles more to achieve the running motion. Less stress on joints and no chin sleet. Start of slowly when you go from landing on your heels to modfoot. Abt 2 km at a time building up from there. You will feel your calf's like never before. But push through. The proof is in the pudding

Being winter now, I took up running this week. I can only get away at 17H00 when my guys go off duty, but not enough time. So...

Monday installed. Did a measly 2.2km. But felt great. Lungs could take the pace, and that came from cycling.

Wed I went out again. 4km this time. Again - a breeze. I got hooked, and got myself a FR410. Running with my Edge 500 was not cool.

Don't start off too quickly, you'll damage yourself. I've been a bit sick with man flu, and had to take some time off. I find one tends to lose 'running fitness' quicker than bike fitness and recovery from injury tends to take longer. Also get aggravated more by continuing to do the exercise.

Time restricts my options on riding the bike, so it's mostly running for me. I've run more km's this year than I've ridden, but when I do get on the bike, my fitness is well and truly there.

Being winter now, I took up running this week. I can only get away at 17H00 when my guys go off duty, but not enough time for a ride. So...

Monday started. Did a measly 2.2km. But felt great. Lungs could take the pace, and that came from cycling.

be careful with the distance. I started running at the beginning of the year and because of the cycling fitness I managed to do a 42 in just under 2 months, but injured my knees and ITBs. Just because yoir mussels and lungs can take it does not mean your joints can take it. Running is very stressful on your body and it needs time to adapt.

be careful with the distance. I started running at the beginning of the year and because of the cycling fitness I managed to do a 42 in just under 2 months, but injured my knees and ITBs. Just because yoir mussels and lungs can take it does not mean your joints can take it. Running is very stressful on your body and it needs time to adapt.

True. Left knee is taking a bit of strain already.

What is an ITB?

What is an ITB?

Pray you never need to know about that.

What is an ITB?

Its a fascial band on the outer side of your leg. If it becomes inflamed you develop something called ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome). Pain, inability to run/walk and general disappointment abound. Take awhile to clear up as well.

post-29877-0-32031000-1435416946_thumb.jpg

Dominion, you're going to hurt yourself. Did the same thing within 2 weeks was doing 10k. Then the wheels fell off...well the legs started doing their own thing. Took about 4 months to recover and it hurt my cycling.

Rule of thumb for running, increase your distance max 10% per week, so you should be on about 2.4km now. As a cyclist it's not about your lungs.

I now run about 20km per week as a rule, helps with training when traveling on business...

What is an ITB?

Its really a mother f^ker!(also se explanation above) It takes ages to sort out. Friend of mine over shot it aswell, long story short, lots of money spent at physio and chiropractor and 5 months down the line, 20min max on treadmill in pain! Running can be a lot of fun, but you can do some real damage if you push to hard. When you get time go to a proper running shop and tested for the right shoes (this is important)! Dont be scared off, just be careful!

Hard on the body is an understatement. Runners knee still lurking despite pretty much 4 weeks rest.. And micro fractures in my foot.. So I'm off till end of July. Looks like I'm starting from scratch in August cos that's pretty much no running for June and July

• 2 weeks later...

Did my first trail run yesterday, was a 12km route. The furthest I've ever ran. Did quite a bit of walking though. Hadn't trained for it so my legs and backside are feeling it today.

Did my first trail run yesterday, was a 12km route. The furthest I've ever ran. Did quite a bit of walking though. Hadn't trained for it so my legs and backside are feeling it today.

Well done! :thumbup:

I still don't condone this running thing :huh: but it has it really has helped me get fitter... note:-fitter not fit  ^_^ 

where I was averaging over 7 mins a km, I'm down to just over 6 now, on some runs  under 6 mins too :eek:

I ran my first road race (Pirates 10km) since primary school. Also my first 10km, and the longest I've ever run. All in the name of helping my riding! Managed a 49:17, which I was pretty happy with.

Lekker guys. I have been of for three weeks now with an ankle injury. Starting to walk properly at last. Going to have to start from the bottom again.

Archived