Running...it sucks!! but......

L.T.G

Thanks, the last paragraph explains it. I really didn't mean to offend, the "come on wyatt.. " was tongue in cheek.

http://sportsscientists.com/2014/05/vibram-lawsuit-barefoot-running-common-sense/

...barefoot running remains a very viable alternative for a lot of runners.  It is without doubt effective at changing loading and muscle activation patterns, and is enjoyable to a good many people, whose running is much more successful as a result of discarding the shoes.  It is therefore a sustainable niche, one that will not die out and be viewed by history as a “fad”, but I don’t think it will become the revolution in running either...

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally believe that the term "barefoot running" will become a "fad" but with science and people as well as doctors becoming more clued up on the human body and what is good for it, forefoot striking and natural running will be where many people will end up.

All sports evolve, I am quite involved in another sport outside of running and cycling where most of the teachers change things to protect knees and hips as they all had replacements done and learnt the hard way .

Thanks, the last paragraph explains it. I really didn't mean to offend, the "come on wyatt.. " was tongue in cheek.

Further to that, many Fivefinger runners have acknowledged the fact that there feet are sensitive to stones and such when they run with the Vibrams.

I am used to it and I have learnt how to land soft and take off quick.

Vibram have tried some solutions over the years.

They came up with these that offer a huge amount of protection .

The Spyridion with a thicker sole, my personal favourites.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/images/products/FF8B10G5W.jpg

The Bikila a super fast road racer .

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/images/products/FF14M3101M.jpg

And now the Vybrid that offers a cushioning type midsole .

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/images/products/FF14M0801M.jpg

Well spotted.

Its an april fools joke from last year.

Faaaaaark.......wanted to place an order.......doing a lot of walking lately.

On the whole forefoot striking thing, my question(s).

I started off like that when I started running last winter. So it feels very natural to me. The only reason I've gone to midfoot is that front-foot striking did not feel sustainable for long periods. 

I still run frontfoot on steep sections and in trails, but drop back to midfoot striking when doing some long flat k's. And I know I did that at school as well, way before these terms were available. I kept switching between running on my toes and cruising on flat-foot.

Any options on that? 

with those vibrams....what if you have a bigger 2nd toe than your big toe? does it allow for that?

with those vibrams....what if you have a bigger 2nd toe than your big toe? does it allow for that?

My second toe is not bigger than my big toe but longer ,so yes .

On the whole forefoot striking thing, my question(s).

I started off like that when I started running last winter. So it feels very natural to me. The only reason I've gone to midfoot is that front-foot striking did not feel sustainable for long periods. 

I still run frontfoot on steep sections and in trails, but drop back to midfoot striking when doing some long flat k's. And I know I did that at school as well, way before these terms were available. I kept switching between running on my toes and cruising on flat-foot.

Any options on that? 

You have to choose, either forefoot all the time or mid foot which is just a gentler extension of the heel strike .

How did the weekend's parkruns go for everyone?

Good, my wife and I ran our 50th on Sat.

Was quite nice for a change to hang back and run slowly with family rather than killing myself out on the front end!

Good, my wife and I ran our 50th on Sat.

Was quite nice for a change to hang back and run slowly with family rather than killing myself out on the front end!

Congrats dude! A year's worth of Saturdays invested right there!

Only my third so I did the killing thing, except it was not on front!

Wonder whether you will get to 100 before I get to 50... :ph34r:  :devil:

Archived