Epic MTB riding skills - not a lot going round it seems :-)

Headshot

.................I have never ridden anything remotely as demanding in any race I've ever ridden. ..................

Agreed - I've not done an Epic, and I won't, but none of the many races I did had anything remotely this tricky, including some enduros.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the only proper technical bit of that trail is the rock drop on the right of the chicken run that's been dug in there for the Epic. The rest, while it is a bit rutted, is straightforward enough.

Then again, the last time I rode it was a while back. Seems a mission up there during the week is in order.

Disagree with this viewpoint. Why should some people learn to work on one skill but its fine for others to neglect another skill?

Its simple. No one forces a good technical rider to climb better, he should then just accept that the dirt roadies are going to hold him up. If he/she is ok with this, all is well. If you have to pick the main ingredient to succeed at the Epic of either being a strong climber or being a good technical rider, which would gain you the most time?

check out the attachments for a different angle if the dude with the red top

I don't mean to be funny but that doesn't look all that bad.  You just can't ride down there with your fingers glued to the breaks - and that means the front too. Maybe he' a dirt roadie that can afford an entry? No offence meant.

The Cape Epic is more about endurance than skill, or so it seems.

Edit. The Cape Epic is more about money than endurance than skill, or so it seems.

One of my worst nightmares is being the guy right behind the red mr scorpion guy. If the rider in fronts of you suddenly faceplants or decides "I'd rather get off and push" just as you commit to "speed is the only thing that will get me over this obstacle"...

Had a few embarrasing slip-and-slides because of this...

Its simple. No one forces a good technical rider to climb better, he should then just accept that the dirt roadies are going to hold him up. If he/she is ok with this, all is well. If you have to pick the main ingredient to succeed at the Epic of either being a strong climber or being a good technical rider, which would gain you the most time?

an in turn, just imagine how "well" the dirt roadies can do if they improve their tech skills

i dont know who said it previously and couldnt be bothered about who should and shouldnt be riding

the person who gets the entry simple, no matter how even if it was a gift, someone thought you derserved it simple

im not the fastest rider or the most technical,in fact im far from it im probably  the guy who you say shouldnt be riding, point remains if you get a ticket you have done more than the LEGENDS posting from their aircon offices, yes i agree many "tough" men do it just to say they have done it, but who are you to say who should and should not be there,,,,jealous much????

and no i dont want to do the epic nor do i ever want to try just tired of LEGENDS deciding who is worthy of riding events

Considering the toughness of the event, it is quite remarkable that about 85% of the field finished last year (all be it some without their partners). Does anyone have the finish % for the Epic compared to events with qualifying criteria (say like Comrades?). It seems like the price of an entry is sufficient motivation to ensure a low attrition. 

an in turn, just imagine how "well" the dirt roadies can do if they improve their tech skills

Some have no desire to improve their technical riding. Imagine how well we will all do if we lose 10kg's. just because its a good idea doesn't mean its going to happen. 

Who is Brian Lopez again?

How many Epics podiums does he have? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

WHO IS Brian Lopes ??? :eek:

Maybe you should swap user names with some other hubber on this page. :ph34r:

Google "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills"

Maybe google Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack as well.

Well worth your while.

(There is a pdf copy that you could get)

You're right though - no Epic

Conversely you can argue that before you are allowed to enter an Enduro event, you should at least be able to climb 1000m over 40km. Getting to the liaisons is just as important as going down. I know a few riders (female in particular) that simply does not descend well. One in particular is doing her 6th Epic this year. If you tell her to first do 2 Enduro's she'll tell you that technical descending is a very small part of the Epic and if thats the case, she'll stick to doing Ironman instead. 

She knows her limits and sticks to it. There is no shame in getting off your bike on a technical section and walking it. If the riders behind you have a problem with that, they should work on their climbing rather than tell you to work on your descending. 

Dude, my post was somewhat "tongue in the cheek", but you chose to ignore that. 

So here goes:

As much as some people want to make the Epic a "dusty road race", it is a mountain bike race. In mountainbiking you have to have a certain skill set to complement the fitness / endurance aspect of the sport. 

If you chose to compete in a race such as the Epic, it is not mandatory to acquire some technical skills beforehand, but it would sure help quite a bit. The top marathon racers are also competing at the highest level of XCO. And most (not all) XCO riders have insane skills. They work very hard on their technical ability, so why is it wrong to expect the average Joe to do the same?

Getting back to your post:

If I chose to compete in an Enduro race, I have to make peace with the fact that I have to climb the liaisons. I therefor need to work on the fitness and the technical aspect of my riding. Same goes for marathon riders: You need to work on your technical skills and your fitness. Chose to ignore one at your own peril.

Sorry if I offended your friends, I really hope they do well!

Some have no desire to improve their technical riding. Imagine how well we will all do if we lose 10kg's. just because its a good idea doesn't mean its going to happen. 

I know a few guys who could benefit from 10kgs loss

I know a few guys who could benefit from 10kg's gain

"Some" sound like very boring dirt roadie riders .......

I know a few guys who could benefit from 10kgs loss

I know a few guys who could benefit from 10kg's gain

"Some" sound like very boring dirt roadie riders .......

If 'some' have 6 Epic medals they are are getting it right more often than not.

WHO IS Brian Lopes ??? :eek:

Maybe you should swap user names with some other hubber on this page. :ph34r:

Google "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills"

Maybe google Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack as well.

Well worth your while.

(There is a pdf copy that you could get)

You're right though - no Epic

No worries - I do know who he is.... :)

I also know some others who have skills too.... uphill and downhill....

14 crooked collarbones i heard...now i see why

WOW, 30K for 30mins of riding and that's your Epic over...........must be a few bleak people out there!

All those 100K bikes tumbling down the rocks!

Archived