bikes stolen in cape town

velomonatiCT

Found:    Our cannondale flash ultimate bike stolen at epic finish has turned up - at cash converters kuils river.   Perhaps the offer of a reward helped!

What is truly annoying is that Cash Converters apparently didn't take copy of ID or have camera footage of the transaction as required by law, due to "load shedding".  I mean why no use cellphone to copying.    I don't see this as any excuse for dealing in stolen property!  

Perhaps when we lay charges the ID will turn up!  

Good news. :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found:    Our cannondale flash ultimate bike stolen at epic finish has turned up - at cash converters kuils river.   Perhaps the offer of a reward helped!

What is truly annoying is that Cash Converters apparently didn't take copy of ID or have camera footage of the transaction as required by law, due to "load shedding".  I mean why no use cellphone to copying.    I don't see this as any excuse for dealing in stolen property!  

That's a little convenient...

amazing how many stolen bikes turn up at these 'businesses' and its just as amazing how often they have excuses about why they don't keep the records they are required by law to keep :thumbdown:

Lay charges :thumbup:  if you are holding it and bought it and its stolen then you are guilty of receiving stolen goods !

Found: Our cannondale flash ultimate bike stolen at epic finish has turned up - at cash converters kuils river. Perhaps the offer of a reward helped!

What is truly annoying is that Cash Converters apparently didn't take copy of ID or have camera footage of the transaction as required by law, due to "load shedding". I mean why no use cellphone to copying. I don't see this as any excuse for dealing in stolen property!

That's such BS! CC is breaking the law. They need to get a generator or tell the seller to come back when there's power so they can follow procedure as stated by law. If it was me, i would take it further by opening a case of theft at the Police against CC.

Hi guys some useless info. On my way to Stellenbosch last week a police vehicle drove past me from Stellies. There were a ton of what looked liked high end mtbs on the back. Maybe it is recovered bikes or SAPS entered the gravel and grape. If you are missing a bike go check it out

Hi guys some useless info. On my way to Stellenbosch last week a police vehicle drove past me from Stellies. There were a ton of what looked liked high end mtbs on the back. Maybe it is recovered bikes or SAPS entered the gravel and grape. If you are missing a bike go check it out

Ha ha, these days it might just have been the cops that stole the bikes and were on the way to Cash Crusaders to sell them..... :ph34r:

Used to use Krytonite locks during my studies in Aachen in Germany. On a bike that was cheaper than my current wheel set. Just saying. Here you can't even buy proper locks in a normal bikeshop...

Used to use Krytonite locks during my studies in Aachen in Germany. On a bike that was cheaper than my current wheel set. Just saying. Here you can't even buy proper locks in a normal bikeshop...

i learnt the lesson of only the best bike lock the hard way in vancouver of ask places

I am not saying that this is fail safe (obviously), but what I have done is locked my bikes to the floor in my garage in Cape Town. I bought two thick dropper posts, bent them in half into U's, drilled two sets of deep holes next to the wall (so that one cannot get leverage under them with a crowbar), filled the holes with silicone cement and then hammered in the U's until 50mm was left above ground (with about 450mm below ground).

I then have a thick cable and heavy duty lock running through the two loops on the floor and through my bikes.

They will need an angle grinder to get them out, but at least it stops gangs quickly flipping open your garage and grabbing your bikes.

I've had to do the same, and garage door opens to the street so it's a little vulnerable. The guys will need to break a discus lock to get the angle grinder other cupboard. And I keep the front wheels in the house. Figured a bike missing one is more likely to attract attention.

I've had to do the same, and garage door opens to the street so it's a little vulnerable. The guys will need to break a discus lock to get the angle grinder other cupboard. And I keep the front wheels in the house. Figured a bike missing one is more likely to attract attention.

amazing how many stolen bikes turn up at these 'businesses' and its just as amazing how often they have excuses about why they don't keep the records they are required by law to keep :thumbdown:

Lay charges :thumbup:  if you are holding it and bought it and its stolen then you are guilty of receiving stolen goods !

Appreciate the concerns about putting the bile thieving criminals away.  

Looking at the comments - i need to clarify a matter.     would just like to point out that Cash Converters did contact us when the stolen bike came into their shop....  so they are indeed looking at the HUB and if you post enough details about your stolen bike it improves the chances of recovery.  

We had reported the theft to the police originally, and Cash Converters is of course aware that the goods can simply be confiscated from them.  

In the end everyone is happy about recovering the bike, including my insurance company.

My only gripe is that we did not get the thief too - it should have been a simple open and closed case of picking him up based on his ID and CCTV footage.  There is no reason to leave gaps for these people to operate, esp as the law requires that transactions are monitored.  I hope CC will now take stronger precautions.  

But thank you Cash Converters for getting out bike back to us!       

• 2 months later...

ok, just did a run through on thehub's stolen bike database. We're not even done in july and there are 14 reported bike thefts in Cape Town alone.

I can't see indications of a single one being recovered. It's crisis levels down here.

ok, just did a run through on thehub's stolen bike database. We're not even done in july and there are 14 reported bike thefts in Cape Town alone.

I can't see indications of a single one being recovered. It's crisis levels down here.

Shebeen, seeing as you have done the legwork .... do you have a record of type of bike and brand stolen.

i.e MTB/ROADIE and then Brand?

Shebeen, seeing as you have done the legwork .... do you have a record of type of bike and brand stolen.

i.e MTB/ROADIE and then Brand?

well i just scanned here and counted - https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/

but mostly mtb..some hijacked, some from housebreaking. with a smaple size of 14 there aren't any real trends - except for black hill which is clearly a hotspot

Wheels off and in the boot it goes...or in the back of a locked wagon/hatchback/canopy.

A mate drove to Eastern Cape on holiday and they were trying to steal his bike off the rack while he was inching through the crazy Umtata traffic. Motorist behind hooted and the thieves just ignored him. This motorist eventually got out and klapped them.....

I found out the hard way how easy it is to break into a locked bakkie canopy. If you are planning to leave a bike in a canopy be sure to lock the bike itself to some very fixed point in the bak.

looks like it was another big weekend for bike thieves in Cape town area. what next guys?