[Event] Nissan Trailseeker #1 Helder Berg

WesselvdWalt

I got lost with a great bunch of guys, people can still have a laugh even when there patience is being tested, I racked up a total of 69.1 Km .. Got lost, hit the Tarmac to find the right trail again. The got some great climbing in ( polar showing 1178mtrs) So I got what I was hoping for in terms of what was on the can :-) That single track coming down of that mountain was fab.. Smile from ear to ear.

Thanks for free entry. Very cool for a group that got sabotaged.

T-bag

Edited by T-Bag68

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cycle GT -Sorry to burst your bubble but respectfully ,Your wife needs to get fitter & practice her climbing more, or do some Road fun rides.

That route could not get more simple if you tried. Its all relative, ut NO hills to speak of really and most of it on gravel roads. I think they got it spot on for a fun ride. No disrespect but moaning about an addtional 48 metres of climbing is a whinge. It does not get easier than that bud. That was deffo a funride.

I'm not sure what your wife was looking for ito a FUN Ride ? And thats an honest question, no malice intended.

Godzilla, I was asking a technical question regarding the rules stated about climbs for 20KM rides. Like I said it was her first ride, so I know she and other beginners need more training. What are you talking about NO hills? Did you ride the 20KM? What about the one at the start of the race they also had to ride and the two climbs right before the end where most 40KM riders where walking it out? Unless the signs for the 20KM also got mixed up or changed?

Rather STFU

Respectfully

Cycle GT -Sorry to burst your bubble but respectfully ,Your wife needs to get fitter & practice her climbing more, or do some Road fun rides.

That route could not get more simple if you tried. Its all relative, ut NO hills to speak of really and most of it on gravel roads. I think they got it spot on for a fun ride. No disrespect but moaning about an addtional 48 metres of climbing is a whinge. It does not get easier than that bud. That was deffo a funride.

I'm not sure what your wife was looking for ito a FUN Ride ? And thats an honest question, no malice intended.

I absolutely agree with you. Very very easy climbs and no technical bits what so ever. Easy as they get.

Godzilla, I was asking a technical question regarding the rules stated about climbs for 20KM rides. Like I said it was her first ride, so I know she and other beginners need more training. What are you talking about NO hills? Did you ride the 20KM? What about the one at the start of the race they also had to ride and the two climbs right before the end where most 40KM riders where walking it out? Unless the signs for the 20KM also got mixed up or changed?

Rather STFU

Respectfully

GPS could easily be out with 50m.

In any event I strongly doubt there is such rule. Maybe a guideline, sure. "the fun ride will be about 300m climb." 

348m is well within the range of 300m. 

Rather STFU

Respectfully

I'm not sure if there are rules that state the amount of climbing for a 20km mtb "fun ride". 

With so many people riding different distances and routes on the day, it's difficult to judge who did which part of the route. 

I'm one of the guys who ended up with 72km, which means I did most of the actual route plus a little bit more. 

The last 10km + of the marathon was definitely no walk in the park. I would assume that was the same route the 20km guys did. There was one shortish, very steep, loose climb that everybody walked when I went up there. I'm no pro but it took serious concentration and effort for me to make it to the top without getting off. I would take a guess that everybody who did the 20km ride probably walked that one. 

Not much further than that I passed a lady that must've come down quite hard on a decent. She was lying on here back not moving and people stopped to help her. 

Like I said, i'm not sure what the criteria for a 20km funride is, or should be. However, in my opinion judging by the terrain and route in those final few km's it might've been a bit much for people who are new to the sport, and possibly just starting out. 

Now I'm just cheesed off that some guys were able to get lost & still do the climb & single track. I would've been a bit happier if I could've done the above as well. But getting lost twice just takes the wind out of your sails especially since I was there to race it. A royal stuff up, petrol & time wasted.

Still waiting to hear what happened to the Pro's results, anyone?

I had a look on SA Seeding for the results of the half marathon how can this be right 01:09:39 on 39.95 km for the winner. Was the half marathon also influenced by the signage issues.

I had a look on SA Seeding for the results of the half marathon how can this be right 01:09:39 on 39.95 km for the winner. Was the half marathon also influenced by the signage issues.

Very much so, those of us who rode the 40km only got 28 odd kays in the end.

I rode past some farmer herding a group of riders on a stretch of gravel just before climbing up the last big hill, and after I passed him I jokingly said he should have kept going since he was leading, only to hear him chirp me "It's his farm, and he will do what he wants!". I was quite puzzled by that, until the end, and I realized he may have purposely led us astray... :thumbdown:

I'm not sure if there are rules that state the amount of climbing for a 20km mtb "fun ride". 

With so many people riding different distances and routes on the day, it's difficult to judge who did which part of the route. 

I'm one of the guys who ended up with 72km, which means I did most of the actual route plus a little bit more. 

The last 10km + of the marathon was definitely no walk in the park. I would assume that was the same route the 20km guys did. There was one shortish, very steep, loose climb that everybody walked when I went up there. I'm no pro but it took serious concentration and effort for me to make it to the top without getting off. I would take a guess that everybody who did the 20km ride probably walked that one. 

Not much further than that I passed a lady that must've come down quite hard on a decent. She was lying on here back not moving and people stopped to help her. 

Like I said, i'm not sure what the criteria for a 20km funride is, or should be. However, in my opinion judging by the terrain and route in those final few km's it might've been a bit much for people who are new to the sport, and possibly just starting out. 

I agree with you regarding the last few KM`s, especially regarding the fact that we are not all on the same technical level. With Grabouw coming up, I would like to know if the 20KM riders will be riding the bridges in Oak valley. If so, I would rather suggest she rides the 10KM race and have a bit more fun.

I was just hoping to hear a word from the organizers regarding their thoughts.

Edited by Cycle_GT

There can't be any pro results officially cause how can you prove who did or didn't do the correct distance, if there can even be a correct distance chosen.

The front bunch went all the way down to Annadale Rd before a marshall on a motorbike brought us back up and we all went onto the side of the R44 and had a neutral zone behind a quad bike all the way to the culvert under the road. At the same time a number of other front runners went in the opposite direction and ended up on the 45km option and followed the route back to the finish.

At this point we joined up with slower riders who had been sent on a semi correct course from the start. Most of the lower down single track on Helderberg was spent trying to weave between slower riders, I felt very sorry for them as the fast guys pushed them out the way to get through while "sniping" alot of other corners, I've never heard the term sniping before but it was shouted alot. I'd like to think I did a little better but I must admit I cut a few corners trying to keep up.

We then reached the "Horrible Helderberg" segment which is basically a gravel road that goes directly up the mountain. It wasn't meant to be in the race at all so I don't know why everyone took that route rather than the "bikini beach" up route but it did help the overtaking. At this point Erik Kleinhans and co attacked the rest and made a clear break. I did not see them again but was quite involved with passing what felt like 100s of people up the rest of the climb.

The downhill was fantastic I usually ride up on Helderberg alone or with 1 or 2 friends and having that many people dotting the mountain side all having a blast was great. The trail builder / farm owner Jan looked very pleased with himself. (I'd like to point out that he had stationed himself at the most crucial spot on the whole route where the DH crossed the up route, well done Jan!)

The rest of the race was as planned besides a quick loss of route again at Annadale Rd but we soon found the route anyone who ended with 45km had taken and made our way to the finish.

I ended with 71km in 3:09:30 I was broken but happy. As a race it was a massive fail but as a ride with a bunch of like minded crazy cyclists it was a huge success. I do feel for those that missed out on Helderberg trails though, you need to go back and hit that s#@t!

There can't be any pro results officially cause how can you prove who did or didn't do the correct distance, if there can even be a correct distance chosen.

The front bunch went all the way down to Annadale Rd before a marshall on a motorbike brought us back up and we all went onto the side of the R44 and had a neutral zone behind a quad bike all the way to the culvert under the road. At the same time a number of other front runners went in the opposite direction and ended up on the 45km option and followed the route back to the finish.

At this point we joined up with slower riders who had been sent on a semi correct course from the start. Most of the lower down single track on Helderberg was spent trying to weave between slower riders, I felt very sorry for them as the fast guys pushed them out the way to get through while "sniping" alot of other corners, I've never heard the term sniping before but it was shouted alot. I'd like to think I did a little better but I must admit I cut a few corners trying to keep up.

We then reached the "Horrible Helderberg" segment which is basically a gravel road that goes directly up the mountain. It wasn't meant to be in the race at all so I don't know why everyone took that route rather than the "bikini beach" up route but it did help the overtaking. At this point Erik Kleinhans and co attacked the rest and made a clear break. I did not see them again but was quite involved with passing what felt like 100s of people up the rest of the climb.

The downhill was fantastic I usually ride up on Helderberg alone or with 1 or 2 friends and having that many people dotting the mountain side all having a blast was great. The trail builder / farm owner Jan looked very pleased with himself. (I'd like to point out that he had stationed himself at the most crucial spot on the whole route where the DH crossed the up route, well done Jan!)

The rest of the race was as planned besides a quick loss of route again at Annadale Rd but we soon found the route anyone who ended with 45km had taken and made our way to the finish.

I ended with 71km in 3:09:30 I was broken but happy. As a race it was a massive fail but as a ride with a bunch of like minded crazy cyclists it was a huge success. I do feel for those that missed out on Helderberg trails though, you need to go back and hit that s#@t!

Thanks for that explanation, especially since i did part of the Helderberg Trails during the XCO race the previous weekend. And only just reading your response realised i missed out on that even though i knew it was suppose to still come. Looking at the FB feed in the week leading up to the race i saw they made special adjustments to the route crossing a little river after coming through a tunnel, that was also missed  :(

The fact that some okes are asking the question on FB "whether there was permission from all land owners" only to have their post deleted, raises more suspicion now. And also the previous comment here where the farmer said "It's his farm, and he will do what he wants!" I'm having my doubts here.

Rather STFU

Respectfully

Maybe they did ?

But honestly GT- the ''hill'' at the beginning should not be considered  a hill. Thats why i did say ''Its all relative''. So it may have been a hill to your missus, but as MTB races go all of the routes would be considered VERY TAME ito vertical ascent. From the 70km to the 10km, they would be considered very SOFT and perfect for the Beginner because of the fact that there was very little climbing.

You will be hard pressed to find a MTB race that is going to have less climbing.

No need for the STFU !! Or I'll start dishing out the HTFU ? 

This is MOUNTAIN biking after all. Its not a jog on the Sea Point promenade.

But on a happy note, I hope your wife gets fitter and gets to enjoy the great MTB races we have on offer in the Cape. I really do.

FEEL THE LOVE

What we need now is a formal response from the organisers. All this hearsay and speculation is building tension because of the vacuum from the organisers. I have some further thoughts, but will wait until we at least get something from Wessel?

What we need now is a formal response from the organisers. All this hearsay and speculation is building tension because of the vacuum from the organisers. I have some further thoughts, but will wait until we at least get something from Wessel?

maybe make your thoughts known so it can be included in their reply otherwise you'll wait for another week for a response on your "thoughts"

maybe make your thoughts known so it can be included in their reply otherwise you'll wait for another week for a response on your "thoughts"

I've posted some thoughts already. If we all go on and on, things just get more and more scattered, tensions rise, hearsay starts to become fact. I give them the benefit of the doubt that we'll have some meaningful response by midweek... I've previously had great respect for Advendurance and their competence/trustworthiness.

Guys,

I'm following all the posts.

Yesterday we spent the day cleaning the route removing markers, fixing fences, thanked some land owners spoke to Wannabees and went to Grabouw for a meeting.

We are currently driving back to Pretoria, where we are based and have just passed colesberg.

When I'm back in the office tomorrow I'll go through all the posts look at the overlays and do a response in what we perceive happened where.

I have already spoken to lead bikes and heard multiple accounts of various versions of what happened where.

What I can say, is that on race day we had all the right permissions for route access. Only one landowner had a problem and withdrew in the day before the event (even though he was at the meeting held by the wannabees club regarding the required access much earlier and did not raise any concerns) - this can be verified with the Wannabees club. ADVENDURANCE will under no circumstances trespass knowingly or go against a landowners wishes.

Please give me a day or two to respond.

We are as disappointed that this happened as you, and it's not the start we envisioned for the Western Cape.

Regards,

Wessel