How often do you ride alone?

Rocket-Boy

If you're concerned about being stranded alone in a heap, best backup for a phone is a little whistle. Can blow it for hours without using energy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're concerned about being stranded alone in a heap, best backup for a phone is a little whistle. Can blow it for hours without using energy

That is a good idea.

I really do prefer riding alone. So I do that 99% of the time. When I'm riding I just like to clear my head and think about krap. When I ride with other people that krap doesn't materialize : ) I try tell people where I'm going and I try stick to busy areas, but sometimes I get a bit adventurous and tackle a open velt when I know I shouldn't. I ride with a ICE ID which is permanently linked to my bike. I have my medical aid membership number, my wifes number, my brothers number and my preferred emergency response number. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

for many of the same reasons as KENDA's mentioned, I too ride alone 99.7% of the time.

My ride times are my "me" times.

I also stop a fair bit to take photos on my excursions and on the odd occasion that I do ride with others, I feel it unfair to hamper their ride doing so I don't at all or a lot less.

I ride with an I.C.E ID bracelet, I also have the MySOS app, which is pretty useful, BUT I really need to start using it more!

I must admit I am more concerned about the "getting badly hurt in the middle of nowhere" scenario than I am of a security risk, but I do ride with a can of pepper spray when I ride "out in the open" like Van Gaalens and not in a closed off area like Heia Safari.

However I've never *crosses fingers* had an incident at VG, I carry it more in the hope it'll help me fend off a vicious cow one day. I have a ridiculous phobia of the deadly creatures!  

I wish I could go riding alone.. 

but alas the thing is it is just too risky, maybe its easier for guys.

for many of the same reasons as KENDA's mentioned, I too ride alone 99.7% of the time.

My ride times are my "me" times.

I also stop a fair bit to take photos on my excursions and on the odd occasion that I do ride with others, I feel it unfair to hamper their ride doing so I don't at all or a lot less.

I ride with an I.C.E ID bracelet, I also have the MySOS app, which is pretty useful, BUT I really need to start using it more!

I must admit I am more concerned about the "getting badly hurt in the middle of nowhere" scenario than I am of a security risk, but I do ride with a can of pepper spray when I ride "out in the open" like Van Gaalens and not in a closed off area like Heia Safari.

However I've never *crosses fingers* had an incident at VG, I carry it more in the hope it'll help me fend off a vicious cow one day. I have a ridiculous phobia of the deadly creatures!  

It happens especially when they have calves close by....

Seems there are almost nobody on this thread who often ride with other people  :ph34r:

Us hubbers are a lot of asocial beings... 

I'd say I probably ride alone about half the time. I love it. But I usually invite others to tag along. I go ride whether they decide to join me or not. But I have to invite them. If I don't, they get all emo

Seems there are almost nobody on this thread who often ride with other people  :ph34r:

Us hubbers are a lot of asocial beings... 

Was thinking the same thing but it also shows how people enjoy their "me time" on the bike

I ride 90% alone, but I tell my wife what route I will be riding and I run endomondo on my phone so she can track me. 

I ride 90% alone, but I tell my wife what route I will be riding and I run endomondo on my phone so she can track me. 

98% of the time because of work hours. Had to walk my broken bike (and my broken self) home plenty of times because I cycle from home most of the time.

But a cellphone a must, although I ,managed to break a phone in a slam and lose a phone in jonkers ( didnt zip up my camelpack )

Was thinking the same thing but it also shows how people enjoy their "me time" on the bike

True  :)

Maybe just my perception but most riders I encounter out on the roads/trails are usually in little groups of 2 to 4 people, interesting to hear all hubbers usually ride on their own.

True  :)

Maybe just my perception but most riders I encounter out on the roads/trails are usually in little groups of 2 to 4 people, interesting to hear all hubbers usually ride on their own.

Your perception is spot on, that's why its odd. Maybe us hubbers are a unique bunch :whistling:

99% of the time I ride alone.  17 month son at home that requires daddys attention at home after work, so early mornings are reserved for rides.  No one around here wants to head out at 04:30 for a ride, or earlier :( 

Totally worth it though.

Having to revise my normal routine however, and try to get someone to ride with me, as a guy was bike jacked on the main road here last week, at 6am, also riding alone...

Archived