Budget/Entry Level MTB SHOES

jth

Stay away from the Mr Price shoes. They flex more than your average running shoe. Their stuff in general is made to be cheap and don't last.

Olympic have had some very good reviews in the cycle magazines over the years. I bought a pair a few years ago and they are still going strong. I found them to be cheaper at a bike shop than Sportsman's Warehouse.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chain Reaction Cycles are having a Spring Cleanout special on MTB shoes here.

Don't forget to add 40% for duty on clothing as well as VAT and handling charges (15-16%) if you decide to import.

Olympic are great as entry level shoes... a bit heavy and not as comfy as say shoes for a few hundred bucks more but definitely good enough to get you going for a while.

Don't forget to add 40% for duty on clothing as well as VAT and handling charges (15-16%) if you decide to import.

I bought mtb shoes from CRC in the past 18 months and don't remember any 40% duties. I only remember the usual 15%. 

But then again, I am prone to losing the plot a bit these days.

I was about to buy a new pair - will need to double-check this before I do.

I have Mr Price MTB shoes, happy with them.

By two pairs if you have money, swap them when they are wet.

I bought mtb shoes from CRC in the past 18 months and don't remember any 40% duties. I only remember the usual 15%. 

But then again, I am prone to losing the plot a bit these days.

I was about to buy a new pair - will need to double-check this before I do.

Yeah shoes count as clothing so get hit with the high import duties+vat.

Seen some horror stories about final landed prices of shoes lately.

what size are you ? got a pair of 2nd hand Giro codes, great condition, hardly used R 1 000

Howzit burty,

If jth is not interested in the shoes could you drop me a pm with size and a few pics.

Cheers

Jay

Thanks guys

how much do the specialized ones go for?

can't find an online price

Yeah you will have to go into a store. Depends on where you live. I think the entry level ones are 1.1k, could be wrong :) 

Got a pair of  PRO BIKE shoes. Cost me R500, at my local..... cycle shop thing, going two years now.

post-59319-0-59209400-1427266540_thumb.jpg

Howzit burty,

If jth is not interested in the shoes could you drop me a pm with size and a few pics.

Cheers

Jay

Hey bud they all yours I prefer to buy a new pair

My first pair of ballet shoes were Olympics. Little bit heavy and quite stiff. Not all that durable if you tend to walk a bit. The rubber stuff on the soles wears off...  (I am gravitationally challenged and don't like climbing) Second pair were Diadora Geckos. Fantastic shoe. VERY durable and the right balance between stiff enough to pedal with and flexible enough for the odd walk.

Also heard good things about the Shimano shoes. Mate of mine has a pair of Spez "takkie" style shoes that he swears by.

Hey bud they all yours I prefer to buy a new pair

Why? Some insane deals in the classifieds on shoes. Plenty of which are basically new and some selling at less than half of retail.

Just wrap them in towels and toss them in the washing machine when you get them. Then stuff with news paper and let them air dry. I did this with a pair of Spez carbon mtb shoes (R3200 retail, picked them up for R1250); after a cycle in the washing machine you could barely tell they were used.

+100

On my second pair in 8 years.

Get them from Sportmans.

yip!!! Exactly the same....even still got he "older pair" they simply cannot break...

I bought a pair of these for under R1000 about 4 years ago, still going strong (5-6 days a week riding) and are good to walk when you need to and don't look all plasticky.

Mojoman, where did you buy these? Looks comfy. 

Archived