New mountain bike

Craig8252

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

In the market for a new mountain bike. Mainly do the local marathons, stage races like sani, Sabie and j2c. Had a tallboy that was stolen.

My price range is between R60k and R75k. What would you guys suggest? Thinking about the momsen vipa team addition or the cannondale scalpel 1.

Are you a podium contender?

If not and you want to have fun (before the start with people staring and on the trails esp downhills) look at AM options...you can then ride more than just marathons you can join the enduro crew and DH rides comfortably. These bikes are very comfortable to do marathons/stage races with. (Also a lekker feeling passing someone while they are on a much lighter bike and wearing cleats and lycra)

http://www.yt-industries.com/en/products/bikes/enduro/

http://intensecycles.com/portfolio-item/tracer-t275c-2015/

Haley, I highly doubt that the OP, who is coming from a SC Tallboy and is considering a (80mm travel) Vipa, will be interested in a 160mm Enduro rig.

Besides, why on earth would anyone need 160mm travel (or thereabouts) for a stage race? Absolute overkill.

Haley, I highly doubt that the OP, who is coming from a SC Tallboy and is considering a (80mm travel) Vipa, will be interested in a 160mm Enduro rig.

Besides, why on earth would anyone need 160mm travel (or thereabouts) for a stage race? Absolute overkill.

I didnt say the 160mm will be mainly for stage races alone, but those bike are more than capable to be enjoyed on anything from stage races to DH riding (and of course everything in between).

I know a few people that was looking for new 100-120mm travel bikes and never considered the 140mm-160mm bikes and they actually went to go buy one in the latter and now do all types of riding with it. Just saying those 'bigger travel bikes' are fun on anything even stage races.

I didnt say the 160mm will be mainly for stage races alone, but those bike are more than capable to be enjoyed on anything from stage races to DH riding (and of course everything in between).

I know a few people that was looking for new 100-120mm travel bikes and never considered the 140mm-160mm bikes and they actually went to go buy one in the latter and now do all types of riding with it. Just saying those 'bigger travel bikes' are fun on anything even stage races.

I'm still not sold on the whole "bigger is better" (or should that be "longer is lekker"?) mentality about travel - especially in Gauteng.

The majority of riding most riders do don't require more than 120mm of travel.

And these long travel bikes aren't so fun when you're slogging it up a steep hill and it feels like you want to fall over backwards.

I'm still not sold on the whole "bigger is better" (or should that be "longer is lekker"?) mentality about travel - especially in Gauteng.

And these long travel bikes aren't so fun when you're slogging it up a steep hill and it feels like you want to fall over backwards.

+1 000 000

People with long travel bikes dont know that as they dont ride up hills

+1 on the SC 5010. Love mine. I don't get dropped by my riding buddies on their epic/sparks uphill, and the 5010 is soooo much fun on the downs.

Guest Travis.

Hi all

In the market for a new mountain bike. Mainly do the local marathons, stage races like sani, Sabie and j2c. Had a tallboy that was stolen.

My price range is between R60k and R75k. What would you guys suggest? Thinking about the momsen vipa team addition or the cannondale scalpel 1.

Any reason why you're not going Tallboy again? It was rated the best mtb x2 in a row.

Based on your 2 decisions, there really is only one: The Cannondale. Lots of Momsen fanboys on here will try tell you otherwise, but all they do is bleed green.

If I lost my tallboy I'd replace with the same likely. I'd add 140mm Pike to it on that round tho. Might consider ltc but no bottle mount is big drawback for me. Can't say I'd take either of other two I'd likely go either banshee, transition or giant depending on spec vs cost etc. Lefty is awesome so go for that?

Then you should work on your fitness and strength.

If you guys want to see long travel bikes being ridden up hills like normal marathon bikes you guys should come join an enduro ride soon. Many of the okes and ladies that rode this past weekend was on long travel bikes and they for sure pedal those machines up and down hill as if they are flying low....no slogging at all. Maybe they are just fit and strong.

+1 000 000

People with long travel bikes dont know that as they dont ride up hills

How do you think they get to the top of the hill at an enduro ride/race?

If you guys want to see long travel bikes being ridden up hills like normal marathon bikes you guys should come join an enduro ride soon. Many of the okes and ladies that rode this past weekend was on long travel bikes and they for sure pedal those machines up and down hill as if they are flying low....no slogging at all. Maybe they are just fit and strong.

God help Susi if you put them on a Spez Epic.

How do you think they get to the top of the hill at an enduro ride/race?

Whats the distance of an #enduro race and how much of it is climbing really...

Hayley, appreciate your enthusiasm for your discipline, but the guy clearly states what he rides and what he needs. 160mm of travel for j2c is serious overkill. I don't know anybody that wants to lug a 16kg bike over 140kms.

That said, that Intense Spider - http://intensecycles.com/portfolio-item/spider-29c-2015/

Bloody sexy bike, just a pity there is no real support for the brand in SA. 

post-3544-0-35886700-1427375034_thumb.jpg

Archived