If Five Tens are the best flat pedal shoe, then what's 2nd best?

DemitriN

Ive been using skate shoes for a while but find the soles too thin amd flexible. Can feel a bit of fatigue on my soles at the end of my ride.

Cant find the trail cross shoes anywhere but seen the swift ones at due south that look like a great option (would like 5-10s but they just too pricey):

http://www.duesouth.co.za/pdp/adidas-men-s-terrex-swift-solo-hiking-shoe-black-red/_/A-194614AAAH3;jsessionid=AFC3D889969196019F0CEDEE0BB9EAA4.node5

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

Is it just my feet, or are the Spez 2FOs the worst shoes ever? Cuts off circulation if I just look at the laces.

19 minutes ago, JackJS said:

You must check out tenth sports much better, much cheaper at the same time with such an adhessive grip

Post links to these great shoes please? 

9 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Is it just my feet, or are the Spez 2FOs the worst shoes ever? Cuts off circulation if I just look at the laces.

I have a pair and I don't have any issues with mine. I also suffer from a very fat ankle at present so getting the shoe on is a challenge requiring me loosening the laces 2/3 of the way, but I have never suffered circulation issues.

I must say I find mine very comfy and super grippy. 

I have fairly high bridges and I get a lot of pinching on the top of my foot. Also some dead toes about 15km into a ride if I don't move my foot around or stop frequently. 

I ride with very loose shoes. Yet to have one come off my foot so it works just fine. 

Loosen the laces. 

I ride in either Ride Concepts of Bontrager. The RC is a true 10 and I got a 10.5 in the Bontragers. I basically alternate thick and thin socks to get a good fit. 

Try to use a thinner sock. I find the ones from SOX to be extremely thin and comfortable in the RCs and I have some merino wool socks for the Bontragers.

22 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Nope, just your feet .... :ph34r:

2FO's simply fits me perfectly .... then again, I need inserts in most other shoes, so maybe 2FO is not for normal feet .... :P

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

I need inserts in most other shoes, 

Oh yes, there is that. 

I ended up switching inserts like a man possessed. RCs have Nike insoles from a pare of naked running shoes, the Bontragers have Specialized footbeds. 

48 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I have a pair and I don't have any issues with mine. I also suffer from a very fat ankle at present so getting the shoe on is a challenge requiring me loosening the laces 2/3 of the way, but I have never suffered circulation issues.

42 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

I have fairly high bridges and I get a lot of pinching on the top of my foot. Also some dead toes about 15km into a ride if I don't move my foot around or stop frequently. 

I ride with very loose shoes. Yet to have one come off my foot so it works just fine. 

Loosen the laces. 

I ride in either Ride Concepts of Bontrager. The RC is a true 10 and I got a 10.5 in the Bontragers. I basically alternate thick and thin socks to get a good fit. 

Try to use a thinner sock. I find the ones from SOX to be extremely thin and comfortable in the RCs and I have some merino wool socks for the Bontragers.

Same here, I have to loosen the laces 3/4 wat just to get my foot in, and then gently tighten the laces. Just tucking the laces in the bungee ends up overtightening it too much. The way the heel cup fits, probably makes it impossible to come off.

I looked at the RCs, but there's no way I'm paying over 3k for those shoes. I'd rather 5-10/adidas again, and pay all that import duties. At least they were super comfy, albeit the inner sole wasn't the softest.

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Also got the 2fo, and it's grippy enough, very hard wearing and no issue at all with circulation and I have broad feet.

Soles are very stiff,  not the best if u pushing bike uphill often 🤣

Latest 2FO are not to my liking. So I won't be buying them again, unfortunately.

I have these black and red

Screenshot_20220124-174428_Chrome.jpg

Won't buy this new style thoScreenshot_20220124-174611_Chrome.jpg

Edited by MajG

I have the 2FO Roost and I find them very comfy.

Stiff under pedaling but still great to walk in.

I have a pressure point in the top of my left foot, so I have to lace them strangely to avoid pain, but this is the case with all my shoes.

I tie the laces in a comfortable position and then slip my foot in and out as necessary.

10 hours ago, MajG said:

Also got the 2fo, and it's grippy enough, very hard wearing and no issue at all with circulation and I have broad feet.

Soles are very stiff,  not the best if u pushing bike uphill often 🤣

Latest 2FO are not to my liking. So I won't be buying them again, unfortunately.

I have these black and red

Screenshot_20220124-174428_Chrome.jpg

Won't buy this new style thoScreenshot_20220124-174611_Chrome.jpg

I had those first ones in the white and black , hated them 

On fiveten kestrels since mid 2019 and they still look 95% 

11 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I had those first ones in the white and black , hated them 

On fiveten kestrels since mid 2019 and they still look 95% 

How come hated?

22 minutes ago, MajG said:

How come hated?

juss they felt plastic , like they were stiff everywhere the uppers,  sides , heel  like tightening the laces didn't feel like it did anything.

They weren't uncomfortable on long days but definitely not comfortable to the point id be happy to be wearing them all day.

Kestrels changed that , id wear these things to work. and regularly drive to or from the trails in them 

40 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

juss they felt plastic , like they were stiff everywhere the uppers,  sides , heel  like tightening the laces didn't feel like it did anything.

They weren't uncomfortable on long days but definitely not comfortable to the point id be happy to be wearing them all day.

Kestrels changed that , id wear these things to work. and regularly drive to or from the trails in them 

The super stiffness I agree, they too stiff for all day missions and definitely not comfy for alot of walking.

2hr to 3hr sessions is max

As always, there will be somebody who disagrees. This time it's me.

While I agree they are stiff and a bit awkward to get in and out of, I had a pair of the clip in version as well as the flat ones. That particular clip in pair did 2 x Expedition races (with up to 30 hours on the bike non stop), 1 x Rigid SS Lesotho Sky (I pushed a bit some days), 2 x Rigid SS Tankwa Treks and many, many 12 hour plus rides. 

I loved them. 

They eventually fell apart unsurprisingly. 

I replaced them with some Shimano AM5's which were also awesome.

(As an aside I do own carbon dancing shoes and boa dial things but they suck for all day riding, hike a bike and stomping on pedals)