Clarens Road and MTB Routes

Patchelicious

We are planning a cycling trip to Clarens this long weekend.

Are there any recommended road and MTB routes that you guys have done?

For some hardcore mountain biking visit Camelroc just before the Caledonspoort border post. The 30 km trail is technical in parts, and the climb to the top is very tough, but it is a rewarding experience. Camelroc guest farm is about 40 km from Clarens.

WRT road cycling the R712 from Clarens to Harrismith offers a good climb and is very scenic.

Road out to Fouriesburg is quite decent - nice wide shoulder. Its an out and back route.

Then there's the Golden Gate park for some proper climbing and wind training.... you can cycle out there from Clarens, its about 30kms there. One or two loops of Golden Gate and back will give you 80-100kms.

There are also MTB trails in and around Clarens (ride out the back of town and follow the trails up to water tower).

Also if you want something longer, ride out of Clarens on MTB towards bethlehem and just after the top of the climb turn right onto a dirt road that has a wooden sign that says "Toeka" - Ride it for plus minus 15-20 kms and and take a right turn. T junction right again and follow that road - it will eventually come out on the other side of the Golden Gate park. 

Enjoy

The Fouriesburg road is the best, normally pretty quite, nice wide yellow lane (Can ride 2 even 3 abreast).

The road to Golden Gate has no shoulder and is normally quite busy, I didn't enjoy riding on that road at all.

For road with a nice climb is the Fouriesburg road with surrender Hill and for some great mtb tracks visit Clarens extreme, som great trails wich is free and some Beter trails you need to buy a pass for. Ether way Clarens extreme is the best for MTB...

I live in Bethlehem an we go riding there regularly.

Hi Patchelicious,

We are also heading down to Golden Gate this weekend, will follow this topic for some mtbing advice, if the locals can assist please.

As for the road, i agree the Fouriesburg road has a wide shoulder and some nice flowing bends and steady climbs, nice and quite if you want to do a group ride.

The Golden Gate route is stunning and a must do, especially the loops (Blesbok) just past the camping site and the pass (Lichens Pass) coming from the west.  If you like steep climbing and switchbacks this is where you want to be, but be sure you're fitness is right up there as well.  I have done this route early morning in the past, cars seem to drive rather slow within the park but i can imagine it gets risky on the section between Golden Gate and Clarens.  Maybe a good idea to drive into Golden Gate and cycle from there, depending on your fitness level.

Use Strava as a guide, that always works for me.

There is also the gravel road option between Clarens and Fouriesburg. It goes down towards the Caledon river, and for a while you are quite close to the river with Lesotho a mere stone throw away. You will pass by the spot where the delivery tunnel of the Lesotho highlands water scheme crosses the border on its way to the Ash river outfall. From there it is tarred, but very quiet, back to the R711 between Clarens and Fouriesburg. 

Patchelicious, I am afraid a long weekend is going to be to short!

Depending on the weather, take some cold weather gear.

Was there last year July and was - 8 on my morning ride.

Edited by CMY44

• 3 weeks later...

The Fouriesburg out an back loop was such a cool ride! So beautiful! Even with the over cast weather we had. That little coffee shop in Fouriesburg was very cool

We also did a Fouriesburg and then straight to Goldengate, nice climbing through the park and some hectic descents! A nice 120km 2000m climbing loop. But I see we were not supposed to ride in there though :huh: Road there and back did get hairy though, no shoulder.

I enjoyed that Frouriesburg out an back loop so much that I am pulling out of the Ashburton race this Saturday there, and am rather going to to that loop twice, it really is amazingly beautiful!! Have a few Strava scores to settle on Surrender hill in anycase :)

Thank for the advice guys, I would recommend that place for a training weekend anytime!!

1510626_10152686068542343_94316900553528

Coffee shop:

13821_10152686068722343_4725164786666743

11038117_10152686068657343_2221039635423

17294_10152686288682343_4579013159897661

Goldengate is very climby.

11127494_10152686289077343_3418672258954

11113635_10152686068812343_2502847984379

Edited by Patchelicious

You can mountain bike midday between Clarens and Golden Gate, up the dirt road to Bokpoort game farm and on to Rebellie game farm and then up the 4x4 trail to the top of the hills overlooking the Caledon river. From there you can take the trail to Camelroc, quite technical and not easy all the way to near the Calendonspoort border post with Lesotho. Would do it in a larger group though.

This is the 60km route from Clarens to Golden Gate i did in August on the road bike.

http://app.strava.com/activities/173887642

The loops in Golden Gate are umm... "fun"...

The little leg off at about 32km's, that road/path (two concrete strips) goes up to Highlands Mountain retreat, looked steep, and i don't think i was feeling it, so i skipped it and turned around.

Segment: http://app.strava.com/segments/6559818

You can ride to the vultures hide (34km mark), there were just bones when i was there and no birds.

Edited by typhoon

• 6 years later...

I believe the Clarens - Fouriesburg road had major damage with the recent rain.  Any updates on the condition of this as well as the Fouriesburg - BHM road perhaps?

Thanks

We cycled there last weekend. The road is still in good condition although showing signs of wear. One lane has completely collapsed in the direction from Fouriesberg towards Clarens, however you can see it from far and it is easily avoidable. Still better than 90% of the tar roads in this country and perfectly fine for a road bike. I think we saw one of the local elite ladies zooming along, as well as a fairly professional looking team.  

On 4/23/2015 at 9:55 AM, scubes said:

You can mountain bike midday between Clarens and Golden Gate, up the dirt road to Bokpoort game farm and on to Rebellie game farm and then up the 4x4 trail to the top of the hills overlooking the Caledon river. From there you can take the trail to Camelroc, quite technical and not easy all the way to near the Calendonspoort border post with Lesotho. Would do it in a larger group though.

Brilliant route 

not very well known