Bestmed Capital Classic

Prince

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had coke at the finish.  But heard the lady say that they are going to run out of coke.

Hi guys, just wanted your opinions, my sister and her husband did this as their first race together (her first race ever) and with 15km to go they were pulled off because apparently that water point had a cut off time which no one knew about and they had an hour and 20 minutes to go till the final cut off. Having averaged just over 20km/h for the race they should have managed that easily!! If they had known about the earlier cut off times they would have pushed a bit harder! I really don't feel that the race organizers were fair with this at all! Especially for first time riders who want to get into racing! It took the buses an hour to pick them up and then drop them off at the finish line and when they got to the finish line it was already packed up with 10 minutes to go before the final cut off!? Something sounds dodgy here!?

I heard some cars got in to the cycle lane between the slower riders and that it was becoming unsafe so they stopped the race 

I heard some cars got in to the cycle lane between the slower riders and that it was becoming unsafe so they stopped the race 

wow that is bad.

Probably guys that got tired of standing still on the highway. Driving back on the N14 (travelling West), cones were still on the road (as they were until at least 4pm last night apparently). Even though there was no cyclist left, cars still kept to the left, until around the garage where logic prevailed and whole road was used again.

Cars where backing about probably 3-4km on the other side though near the lane switch area.

So I drove to Pretoria, cycled back to Joburg, and then cycled back to Pretoria and then drove back to Joburg.

Well marshalled. Good parking access. Cones kept the cars out of the lane but was not involved in any big groups so did not have problems with the road width.

Not a memorable route but an excellent, challenging training ride.

More toilets at the start would have been preferable. Although it was good to see a person in attendance to keep them tolerable.

So I drove to Pretoria, cycled back to Joburg, and then cycled back to Pretoria and then drove back to Joburg.

Well marshalled. Good parking access. Cones kept the cars out of the lane but was not involved in any big groups so did not have problems with the road width.

Not a memorable route but an excellent, challenging training ride.

More toilets at the start would have been preferable. Although it was good to see a person in attendance to keep them tolerable.

had a good chuckle at your first sentence. :clap:

I reckon the cardinal sin for any race organiser is to run out of drinks at a water point. I'd lost a bottle just after the turn and was quite happy knowing that there was a WP about 15k ahead. Pretty sucky getting there and there was no drinks of any description.

But... BIG KUDOS to the Helivac Doc in the silver i35 who stopped while I was cramping and gave me some pills and a Rehidrate. Thanks man!

Oh, and I nearly got taken out by a flying cone. missed my head by a couple of inches  :whistling:

I found the race very tough. I was fortunate enough to ride with my mate, and we good fun, which is what its really all about for me.

I found the traffic wizzing passed disconcerting, especially the huge "peleton" of motorbikes. I found that riding on the left (as I usually do to make way for faster riders) left me exposed and too close to the cones and the traffic.

I must say that the marshalling was very good, and getting in and out of the parking was very well handled.

The rolling hills sapped me, and with the beginning of each climb, my mantra became: I. Must. Lose. Weight.

I finished in 3.48, and will try do better next year. Will definitely be there!

Total waste on sunblock. Was sitting comfortably in the lead group of VC that had already been whittled down to about a third when at the 15 to 20 km mark on a downhill slammed into a pothole. Managed to stay upright but punctured front and back and lost both water bottles. Brand new camelbaks. Managed to find one of them. Never had two tubes so phoned for a rescue

A bit disappointed. I was going quite well.

Sounds like you could have lost a lot more than your water bottles. Lucky / skillful man. Glad you're ok. A guy came down right in front of us about 20km in.

Never lekker to see.

+1

Jirre maar julle kan moan!!!

maybe but if we don't raise our concerns they are gonna assume we are happy

They could alternatively send us a survey..

One of the big reasons the 94.7 is so succesfull they listen to the riders feedback

maybe but if we don't raise our concerns they are gonna assume we are happy

They could alternatively send us a survey..

One of the big reasons the 94.7 is so succesfull they listen to the riders feedback

Rasta,

I do agree with you regarding safety concerns. Splitting cyclists with cars, doing 120 +, with a cone barrier isn't sufficient to say the least.

However, from my point of view as a slower rider the WP wasn't an issue as it is being made of. One of the comments I made to my mates was, as a slower rider who only gets to the water points at a later stage the liquids provided (whatever it is) is always lukewarm where as with the BCC it was ice cold.

TBH I'll take an ice cold water,powerade or coke any day over a lukewarm drink of my choice.

Secondly, when is people going to understand that expecting the organisers to provide each individuals drink of choice at each WP is unreasonable?

Rasta,

I do agree with you regarding safety concerns. Splitting cyclists with cars, doing 120 +, with a cone barrier isn't sufficient to say the least.

However, from my point of view as a slower rider the WP wasn't an issue as it is being made of. One of the comments I made to my mates was, as a slower rider who only gets to the water points at a later stage the liquids provided (whatever it is) is always lukewarm where as with the BCC it was ice cold.

TBH I'll take an ice cold water,powerade or coke any day over a lukewarm drink of my choice.

Secondly, when is people going to understand that expecting the organisers to provide each individuals drink of choice at each WP is unreasonable?

the powerade thing was just an example

The reason I mentioned is because it happened to my wife

And no she is not used to service like this at water points, she  did a slower than usual ride just under 4 h because she had flu the week before, 

She ran out of water by the second waterpoint, the waterpoint had nothing she and the 2 people she was riding with had to share one bottle to the last waterpoint, where they then finished the water at that water point so the people behind them would have had nothing for the last 50 km.

Surely as a race organizer you should be able to provide atleast water to one and each rider that have entered, even if its just water.

Then we not even talking how they ran out of coke at the end.

But then lets glance at the R4V last year

R250 entry

Includes goodie bag, medal, tshirt, ice cream and a chocolate milk or coke

I rest my case....