Fork seal kits?

JXV

I am pretty horrified at the cost of a Fox 34mm fork wiper seal kit sourced from my LBS.....

A crush washer, two nylon rings one O-ring, two foam rings and 2 wiper seals = R485

Prices of the same kit online vary around $25 to $30 so not much cheaper with shipping and vat etc added on.

The actual wiper seals supplied by Fox are made by SKF who now also makes aftermarket MTB fork seal kits - pics of the little green boxed kits are visible on the www and if you have an iPhone you can even download an app for ordering them. Does anyone know if I can just go into my local SKF branch and order these things?

Edited by JXV

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to mountain biking

Edit: - and also don't forget fork oil and labour (if not going the Google route)

yes the fork oil and Float Fluid is not cheap either but a litre of Fox 20wt Gold will last some time at around only 70ml to 80ml required per wiper seal service for my forks.

• 1 year later...

Came across this thread wh searching the exact same thing.

The fox 34mm seal kit is now over R600. I want to service the lowers now but good grief, that price is obsurd.

JXV, did you come right with the aftermarket seals?

I also need 20w oil but im sure i can use any 20w oil right? Go to a full throttle store and get it or the local hardware.

The fox 34mm seal kit is now over R600. I want to service the lowers now but good grief, that price is obsurd.

I also need 20w oil but im sure i can use any 20w oil right? Go to a full throttle store and get it or the local hardware.

http://www.robbiesbicycleconcept.co.za/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_60

currently running the UN2R from RBC

oil is oil, as long as it the correct rating

Bikemob sells those SKF seals. http://bikemob.co.za/ they are very good, but no cheaper than the fox seals.

I put the SKF seals when I serviced my fork in November and they have been great so far, although the true test is when you pull the fork apart again and inspect how much dirt got into the foam seals.

Also had a laugh at the rockshox wiper kit for R499. I just ordered a full rebuild kit on ebay with wipers, seals, orings and washers, for half the price.

Now to find an alternative to this sram butter stuff. R150 for 20ml?  :lol:  Must be joking.

Edited by GrahamS2

Also had a laugh at the rockshox wiper kit for R499. I just ordered a full rebuild kit on ebay with wipers, seals, orings and washers, for half the price.

Now to find an alternative to this sram butter stuff. R150 for 20ml?  :lol:  Must be joking.

Rubber grease , you get it at most car parts stores 

it works just as well

Yes well....some local LBS are stocking the SKF kits but they are same or even more expensive than OEM from Fox.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Where do you gents get your float fluid?

From LBS. They can order it.

Fox shock overhaul kits come with a sachet of it.

Ive ordered then seal kit and just need the oil.

According to the fox site, my fork needs their Gold 20w oil. What is the alternative? What about synthetic oils?

Ive ordered then seal kit and just need the oil.

According to the fox site, my fork needs their Gold 20w oil. What is the alternative? What about synthetic oils?

Fox Gold 20wt is incredibly slick. Well worth it IMO for lubricating lowers. I haven't come across anything that reduces 'stiction' quite as much. If you insist on a cheap alternative then fully synthetic engine oil is a better option than damping/fork oils.

Edited by JXV