2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

Hey Ezra and team, nice to see you out there, hope you guys had a good ride. 

Billy

Hey bud I am not Ezra but he is part of the team.

Did you meet him on the road at the DC?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bud I am not Ezra but he is part of the team.

Did you meet him on the road at the DC?

No, met him before, he bought a 105 crankset from me, did see you guys on the road though. Send him my regards and congrats.

Quite a few Hubbers in the USN team.  ;)

Very friendly bunch and we had some good chats with them thru Tradouw pass as we caught them and then rode with them all the way to top of Op de Tradouw.

Even if we hadn't started with only 11 guys, we'd still never have been in any danger of getting a Charles Milner award. As we were going up Tradouw Pass, we were feeling very smug seeing random dudes from Pure Savage that had been dropped and we still had our 'full' team, chirping each one of them as we passed them. But as karma would have it, two mins later we dropped our first guy, and by the time we got to Op De Tradouw we'd lost another two. Now we're down to 8 but our hope of a top 10 was still alive.

Then we got to that dodgy section near Montegue, in the wind and rain, trying to overtake teams while dodging oncoming traffic. In the chaos we lost the other 4 guys, one of which punctured. So the four of us get to the first stop and wait for the rest, with our sixth rider not knowing he's the sixth rider and taking his time.

Each stop we only stopped for max ten minutes to avoid pneumonia (and because we saw the velocity women's team leaving ;P hello ladies!) and eventually found ourselves completely alone with not a team in sight. Just 7 guys in pain and dead silence with their thoughts and rain stinging their faces (I tried cracking a couple of jokes which weren't well received). Just as we hit the 3 sisters MTN Qhubeka came flying past us, reminding us what total amateurs we are. We crossed the line after 5:32, 2nd team to finish and totally elated thinking we'd definitely got a top 10, later to find out we were only 17th. We were a bit bummed for a while, but then had some more wine and started talking about the game plan for next year.

Despite the weather, it was an epic weekend. Can't wait until next year, got a score to settle with MTN Qhubeka (Di Data?)

Edited by devocean

Even if we hadn't started with only 11 guys, we'd still never have been in any danger of getting a Charles Milner award. As we were going up Tradouw Pass, we were feeling very smug seeing random dudes from Pure Savage that had been dropped and we still had our 'full' team, chirping each one of them as we passed them. But as karma would have it, two mins later we dropped our first guy, and by the time we got to Op De Tradouw we'd lost another two. Now we're down to 8 but our hope of a top 10 was still alive.

Then we got to that dodgy section near Montegue, in the wind and rain, trying to overtake teams while dodging oncoming traffic. In the chaos we lost the other 4 guys, one of which punctured. So the four of us get to the first stop and wait for the rest, with our sixth rider not knowing he's the sixth rider and taking his time.

Each stop we only stopped for max ten minutes to avoid pneumonia (and because we saw the velocity women's team leaving ;P hello ladies!) and eventually found ourselves completely alone with not a team in sight. Just 7 guys in pain and dead silence with their thoughts and rain stinging their faces (I tried cracking a couple of jokes which weren't well received). Just as we hit the 3 sisters MTN Qhubeka came flying past us, reminding us what total amateurs we are. We crossed the line after 5:32, 2nd team to finish and totally elated thinking we'd definitely got a top 10, later to find out we were only 17th. We were a bit bummed for a while, but then had some more wine and started talking about the game plan for next year.

Despite the weather, it was an epic weekend. Can't wait until next year, got a score to settle with MTN Qhubeka (Di Data?)

This sounds so familiar.

I rode for Velocity 2...we were the team right behind your guys(I assume as we were told there were a few men in the feeding zone) . After Ashton you were gone and we were flying solo for the rest of the ride. Felt like a training ride.

We literally did not see 1 team after Ashton. Was quite amusing crossing the finish line first and then watching MTN sprint the finish....they are not the friendliest bunch L

6 out of the 7 of us did DC for the first time, best teamwork and vibe ever. I can’t wait for next year!

This sounds so familiar.

I rode for Velocity 2...we were the team right behind your guys(I assume as we were told there were a few men in the feeding zone) . After Ashton you were gone and we were flying solo for the rest of the ride. Felt like a training ride.

We literally did not see 1 team after Ashton. Was quite amusing crossing the finish line first and then watching MTN sprint the finish....they are not the friendliest bunch L

6 out of the 7 of us did DC for the first time, best teamwork and vibe ever. I can’t wait for next year!

Ja, must have been you guys we passed going up a climb just after the last feed zone. Just as we were about to pass you, I rode on to the front and looked back at the team and joked 'Guys, make me look good'. Everyone was deep in the pain cave, so it didn't go down well.

This sounds so familiar.

Is this one of your team mates?

http://dirtjournal.com/2015/11/24/the-most-fun-ever-on-a-road-bike/

Very good read.