2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

Of course it would have been better and faster on road bikes. I agreed to ride in this teams months before I was asked by other road teams to join their teams. Was a fun, well-organised event nonetheless.

Want to ride for a road team next year?  :thumbup:

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some may ask why we chose to participate in a road race on mountain bikes? Well, why not? Our choice of weapon has nothing to do with ego, but rather validates our love for the trail – after all, this is where most of us met and where we spend most of our time. - I sort of believed you until I read this.

I must admit, it was pretty cool and a great morale boost, seeing road teams almost 500m ahead look behind in fear of the thundering cacophony generated by our off-road tyres. Hier kom die geel trein!

Otherwise, good read, would have been better if you used proper bikes ;)

I generally share your dislike for mtb's on road events - but any mtb team who can do the DC in 6h30 deserve their spot!

I generally share your dislike for mtb's on road events - but any mtb team who can do the DC in 6h30 deserve their spot!

Oh no I agree fantastic achievement, and I generally I dont have a dislike for it as its not really a problem in most races, the guy who rocks up in VA on a dualie would be a real man :P

The issue is the sometimes questionable justification vs the real motivation.

My old man is one of these. His favourite line is "I klapped those roadies", "I was only 15mins slower than the guys who won my group, on my knobblies".... rides a 8kg Scott Scale with rigid fork.... has a R80k road bike, would rather klap "a few" roadies on knobblies. Doesnt like it when he gets asked how many roadies klapped him back :devil:

You see I dislike it becuase there is no downside. If you beat roadies on your MTB you are the man, if they beat you its because they have road bikes..... You are giving yourself a self inflicted handicap so that you cannot "lose".

Disclaimer: This is not a dig at you Aaron_B, promise :) As you can see I must have daddy issues.

lol, I have a road bike and use it most of the time. Like I said, I was asked to ride in the team and stayed true to my commitment.

lol, I have a road bike and use it most of the time. Like I said, I was asked to ride in the team and stayed true to my commitment.

Hey, its always about you :P

Oh no I agree fantastic achievement, and I generally I dont have a dislike for it as its not really a problem in most races, the guy who rocks up in VA on a dualie would be a real man :P

The issue is the sometimes questionable justification vs the real motivation.

My old man is one of these. His favourite line is "I klapped those roadies", "I was only 15mins slower than the guys who won my group, on my knobblies".... rides a 8kg Scott Scale with rigid fork.... has a R80k road bike, would rather klap "a few" roadies on knobblies. Doesnt like it when he gets asked how many roadies klapped him back :devil:

You see I dislike it becuase there is no downside. If you beat roadies on your MTB you are the man, if they beat you its because they have road bikes..... You are giving yourself a self inflicted handicap so that you cannot "lose".

Disclaimer: This is not a dig at you Aaron_B, promise :) As you can see I must have daddy issues.

jlzup.jpg

My first ever PPA road league race back in the day (2008) was in the Subvet Category. 

The great SHAN WILSON was on the front row of the startline on his 26" duallie!

And boy did he klapped us!

He came 17th in the ABSA CAPE EPIC that year and second in the masters behind Bucher

My first ever PPA road league race back in the day (2008) was in the Subvet Category.

He came 17th in the ABSA CAPE EPIC that year and second in the masters behind Bucher

PPA, as in Weatern Cape? We know those boys are softies, no wonder a 26er could sit on the front :D

PPA, as in Weatern Cape? We know those boys are softies, no wonder a 26er could sit on the front :D

Whahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Soek jy K@K of soek jy pak? :P  :P

I remember that race! I think there were five or six of us who got away up Ou Kaaps, including Shan on his bloody MTB. I rode out of my socks, because there was no way an MTBer was going to drop me. And anyway, no one was going to tell Shan that he couldn't be there, he'd have probably killed you just for giving his MTB a funny look!

Patch' you crazy 

:D  :D It also works the other way around here in the Cape - remember when Darren lill showed up with a road bike to ride The Mast Challenge in Tokai? And klapped the mountain bikers vuurwarm by setting a new record time that has now been standing for quite some time! Gravel and all, story goes that he sommer rode the single track on his way down to show them some more! :thumbup:

About two pages back. 

But as I always oblige:

http://teampuresavage.blogspot.co.za/2015/11/double-century-2015.html

There is even a video in it! 

Also threw in some Strava Stats for the fans. :P

Nice write up!! This the write up for next year???

First paragraph last sentences "  The Double Century adds two difficult elements not normally found in road racing in the Western Cape, more distance than usual and a team dynamic. The 2016 edition of the race added a few more factors, rain, freezing cold and gusting wind."  :eek:  :whistling: 

Can you also give me the lotto numbers for Saturday??  :ph34r:

Archived