Immoral or not... you tell me (dilemmas of a shop-owner)

Naas Vermaak

Client has a one year old bike, frame breaks(cause unknown but probably due to fall), claims from insurance, claim is successfull. He also claims ito warranty - claim is successful. Also requested to add other items to the claim that could have been damaged but hardly warrants a claim(..I am uncomfortable with the state of affairs) but we push ahead(client is the boss), shifters and derailleurs and chain and cassette, tyres, almost a new bike now.

Many stories like the one above....

Are we getting screwed by insurance companies because clients screwed them or is it the other way round?

Is it right to get compensated twice for the same thing? To add on to the list of breakages and in the end, after being compensated more than fully still insist on getting the old parts and keep on using it for months to come...

But , like I said the client is the boss...:(

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is insurance fraud, simple.

Your client is a criminal and is one of the reasons why the rest of us over pay on insurance.

But do you rat him out to his insurance company? That is the dilemma.

Your client is a criminal and is one of the reasons why the rest of us over pay on insurance.

I full agree with you here.

"IMMORAL or not"... to most I would think the answer to this is obvious the trouble is there are some don't seem to know.

Yes you do!

Scum is scum!

There is actually more to it than that.

By knowingly supplying your customer in the knowledge that it is fraud, you are actually an accessory to the crime, and the only way to clear yourself of it is to report him.

If an insurance company were to investigate this, they would take you down too.

Absolute fraud.

You cant claim twice for the same item at the same time.

We are being screwed by Insurance companies, but its people like that that cause it.

My wife works in the insurance industry and its scary what people do, and on a very regular basis too. Usually the same people all the time.

Personally I would have an issue with this and even more so if I ran a shop like OP does.

Tough one as what to do or how to handle it.

Client has a one year old bike, frame breaks(cause unknown but probably due to fall), claims from insurance, claim is successfull. He also claims ito warranty - claim is successful. Also requested to add other items to the claim that could have been damaged but hardly warrants a claim(..I am uncomfortable with the state of affairs) but we push ahead(client is the boss), shifters and derailleurs and chain and cassette, tyres, almost a new bike now.

Many stories like the one above....

Are we getting screwed by insurance companies because clients screwed them or is it the other way round?

Is it right to get compensated twice for the same thing? To add on to the list of breakages and in the end, after being compensated more than fully still insist on getting the old parts and keep on using it for months to come...

But , like I said the client is the boss... :(

You know the insurance details.

Give their fraud investigators a anonymous tip off :thumbup:  :thumbup:

spot on ,,,its fraud... if you assist him you are aiding and abetting in fraud :thumbdown:

if the client is willing to commit fraud he isn't right ( EVER)

as a business you have to eat ,but you also have to decide wether you are an honest business or not ....

morals or the money ..its a battle lots of people in this country are losing these days :mellow:

There is actually more to it than that.

By knowingly supplying your customer in the knowledge that it is fraud, you are actually an accessory to the crime, and the only way to clear yourself of it is to report him.

If an insurance company were to investigate this, they would take you down too.

Agree with the above. You will be implicated in this fraud as well seeing that you know about the insurance claim. Did you supply the quote for the insurance if so - drop them a note and say the claim was handled as a warranty iro the following items and list them.

You know the insurance details.

Give their fraud investigators a anonymous tip off :thumbup:  :thumbup:

If I was the shop owner I would rather contact the insurance company and tell my side of the story. An anonymous tip off will get the shop investigated as well and a case opened against them as well.

another thing to remember is dishonest people like to brag about their scores ....

so you can bet he is telling everyone how YOU helped him screw his insurance company and how if anyone wants to do what he did they should come to YOU !

:ph34r:

It is insurance fraud plain and simple.

And no the client is not always the boss. I would gladly tell this client to go away than partake in his dealings.

People will respect you for this stance, so it will probably add to your business in the long run and outweigh the loss of a single client.

Absolute fraud.

You cant claim twice for the same item at the same time.

We are being screwed by Insurance companies, but its people like that that cause it.

My wife works in the insurance industry and its scary what people do, and on a very regular basis too. Usually the same people all the time.

Personally I would have an issue with this and even more so if I ran a shop like OP does.

Tough one as what to do or how to handle it.

This x 100000000

Insurance is there to put you back in the position you were before, not to better it...ito whatever you claim.

This is also the reason I self insure my bikes and cycling stuff, I am not prepared to fund okes that do this

Archived