Immoral or not... you tell me (dilemmas of a shop-owner)

Naas Vermaak

Thanks Guys, glad we feel the same - a difficult meeting ahead of me now.

My OP was a scenario of what's been expected of me. Will just trust that in a small town like this it will not become business as usual as this a high-profile-upstanding-christian-pillar of the community-type of guy with lots of family around and financial implications and ramifications are sure to follow :(

...just hate the position educated and people seemingly to know better are putting me in...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wording on his bicycle policy would most likely state something about not paying if it's possible to claim from somewhere else, and also not paying when there's fraud to benefit.

yip echo the report sentiment

When there is a knock on your door at night, you know it won't be for you...that in itself is worth way more this crook can spend with your shop no matter what.

Also I am pretty sure the insurance won't press any charges against you due to the honesty. 

Like they say in the classics....Die wiel draai

My OP was a scenario of what's been expected of me. Will just trust that in a small town like this it will not become business as usual as this a high-profile-upstanding-christian-pillar of the community-type of guy with lots of family around and financial implications and ramifications are sure to follow :(

...just hate the position educated and people seemingly to know better are putting me in...

What about giving him a chance to do the right thing, explain to situation to him and the consequences...possible jail time. Surely no frame is worth that.

Client has a one year old bike, frame breaks(cause unknown but probably due to fall), claims from insurance, claim is successfull. He also claims ito warranty - claim is successful. Also requested to add other items to the claim that could have been damaged but hardly warrants a claim(..I am uncomfortable with the state of affairs) but we push ahead(client is the boss), shifters and derailleurs and chain and cassette, tyres, almost a new bike now.

Many stories like the one above....

Are we getting screwed by insurance companies because clients screwed them or is it the other way round?

Is it right to get compensated twice for the same thing? To add on to the list of breakages and in the end, after being compensated more than fully still insist on getting the old parts and keep on using it for months to come...

But , like I said the client is the boss... :(

In my experience, usually if a frame cracks/weld comes apart, the insurance company wont pay out and instead get you to refer to the bike manufacturers warrenty (manuf defect / wear n tear argument).

If the bike is smashed in an accident, melted by fire, or stolen, then insurance comes into play.

If the client gets compensated twice, it is actually fraud due to the double claim. But then what goes around comes around and Karma is a real b!tch. AND, being in SA the opportunities for Karma to catch up to you and really give you a kick in the a$$ are PLENTY...

If that's the case then surely this person will see that he is doing wrong?.....if not then let him go elsewhere and you can sleep well at night. Rather loose a few customers and R's then your own self respect.

Dude that is blerrie skelm. I too have been through the warranty replacement route (well I'm still waiting), and have insurance, but not once did I think that I should make a claim through the insurance on top of that.

My LBS made it clear after a crash that some spares and parts were not claimable and he wouldn't endorse the claim.

E.g. scuffed side of my still-fully-operational Sidis, etc.

I cried myself to sleep. 

He earned my respect.

I understood.

Surely you do the warranty claim FIRST and then the insurance claim if the manufacturer won't honour it for whatever reason?

who is physically getting the warranty claim, if it comes to the shop, then it belongs to the insurer so they should get it?

Naas - has this already happened? Have you already been paid for the work and has the client already received the goods? If so - there's no meeting. You can't. You're further obligated not to let the guy know that he is going ot be investigated for insurance fraud, otherwise you yourself will be drawn into this whole thing far more than you currently are...

report it to the insurance company. Quietly. Offer your assistance. It would be part of the normal conditions that he will NOT be told who reported it, but you will not go down for it. 

It could be a friend, it could be a neighbour. It could be a pub-buddy that reported it. But you CANNOT tell him that you are reporting him. You MUST not. 

DO IT and next time I drive through B'dorp I will stop in and spend some money in your shop.

I'm just up the road and drive through a good few times a year.

Naas - has this already happened? Have you already been paid for the work and has the client already received the goods? If so - there's no meeting. You can't. You're further obligated not to let the guy know that he is going ot be investigated for insurance fraud, otherwise you yourself will be drawn into this whole thing far more than you currently are...

report it to the insurance company. Quietly. Offer your assistance. It would be part of the normal conditions that he will NOT be told who reported it, but you will not go down for it. 

It could be a friend, it could be a neighbour. It could be a pub-buddy that reported it. But you CANNOT tell him that you are reporting him. You MUST not. 

Read the post, it hasn't happened yet.

The difficult conversation is to say, "NO" to what sounds like a established member of the community

Read the post, it hasn't happened yet.

The difficult conversation is to say, "NO" to what sounds like a established member of the community

if that's the case, then yeah - agreed. That is the course of action. The OP didn't make it that clear though, as it made out as if it had already happened. 

If it's happened - he cannot meet with the guy. 

If it is yet to happen, he needs to meet with the guy and tell him no. 

If he's already made out the replacement quote / invoice, he needs to retract it and make the insurance company aware of it.

Difficult situation, for sure. 

Archived