Towbar bike rack options

breaker

TaahirWP and the other guys recommending BNB bike rack, thats exactly what I would be after, except that you can't find it anyhere :blush: Either that or my googling sucks [emoji14]h34r:

Really? Shucks...... did u call up makro to inquire yet? Game maybe?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the buzzrack antelope and it does the job. Quality after just less than a year has not been a problem. Only issue I have is that it twists on the tow ball at highway speeds. The recommended maximum speeds will therefore be less than when the rack fixes to the towbar arm. My 2 bike platform fixes to a plate and that is much more stable.

Platform in general is much better - if you can.

Buy the 3 bike Thule. 2 bike is a bit tight for full sus trailbikes. Bigger is better. Also useful for other luggage. I have used it for Suitcases and it works a treat.

I might have a B&B two bike platform rack available. I just spoke to my buddy who seldom rides, says the rack is just laying around. Asking price is R1300 though. Possibly requires some refurbishment.

I have a Thule Express 970. It was on "special" at Thule for R1200 a few months back, it might still be.

I only ever carry 1 bike on it and it's rock solid. Something to be aware of with hangon type racks which I discovered after I bought one: if your car is low to the ground the rack does not sit high. So, if you're like me and ride an XL 29er, the front wheel gets awfully close to the ground. I pop the front wheel off and shove it the boot (only takes me 20s longer to pack), as I don't want to take the risk of a ground strike going through a dip or over a speed bump.

I built this for under R2k from spares I bought mostrly from Thule themselves.

Do they sell the ball mount separately?

Do they sell the ball mount separately?

Got the mount section as part of a damaged 2 bike rack seconds hand

I have and use the Thule 2 bike carrier all the time 

And paid R1200 for it New ,I think Bridge was offering them for R1299 a couple of months back.

I have the Scott genius 940 and it fits great .

Note if you drive an suv or a vehicle with a high rear window ..although it is a Two bike  Rack...if you are carrying 2 bikes with bars that are 720+ it would call for loosening and shifting  one set  of the bars.

• 2 months later...

So after holding out for a very long time, I eventually got this platform rack 2nd hand at a good price. 

http://www.roofrackworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HF2131-Portfolio-630x250.jpg

First impressions is that is quite light and my bike fits on ok.

Few issues though, its not as stable as I would have hoped. 

My bike moved around quite a bit and I think it has to do with the center post not being able to be locked into the vertical position and my lack of tying skills :(.

Basically the center mast holds up the bike but the bike also holds the mast up.

Is there anyone else with the rack that can tell me if this is this how its supposed to be?
Also if it was only a few cm shorter it could fit in my boot, but that's just me being picky.

All in all for the price its more than ok, just wish I could secure that center post.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...
47 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

I've seen them in person. Didn't look very stable to be honest. 

They way I see it. I carry R230k in bikes. R10k for the Thule was money well spent. 

Spend where it matters. 

I couldn't agree more.

I find it akin to guys noodling over shock setup, tires etc on expensive bikes but can't be bothered to buy a really good saddle or have a proper bike fit