Another Adverse Analytical Finding

gummibear

So 4 years ago I went and raced in Mauritius. There was a French rider from AG2R, Sylvain Georges. He was part of their grand tour team and had won a few stages and races here and there. So they made a big thing about it and he was the star of the race and and and. Anyway he obviously won both stages easily and I ended up coming 3rd on the first stage and a bit further back the next day. I ended 4th overall. A few months later he tested positive(I think at the giro) and was banned. It sucked and I had photos on Facebook with him and I removed them because I didn't want to be associated with him.

Needless to say I have never seen or heard about him since.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

He won the Tour de Mauritius last weekend

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote exactly the same thing on the Brandon Stewart thread. I trained for fifteen years in relative isolation and obliviousness in my first sport to try reach my Olympic dream many moons ago. Got pretty close, but always every year guys would come flying out of nowhere at the National Champs. Could have been better training, could have been my lack of talent, could have been my lack of drugs/treatment/cross training/and a number of other things. But I'll never know.

Some will say accept it and move on. But putting 15 years of effort in as a kid/teen/young adult is very hard to dismiss if the playing fields are uneven. And I am now a coach myself, so I deal with the thought often.

That said, I would put every cent into testing pro's and kids, more than vets. Wannabe veteran dopers doing it for ego are just pathetic. (Although, I got some random comment the other day on a Strava ride saying my KOM must have been in a car... Which I thought was quite funny... #drugsdwisses)

Amen.

Remove Stewart/George/Evans/Hoffman/Hannie from the results and how many other riders would have had a shot at a pro contract/half pro contract/different life? We'll never know because of these cheats.

Maybe they only ever doped once each - maybe not. We'll never know.

Scumbags.

This!

I have done it a few times and will continue to do so.

Intellectually I'm all for people doing the time for their crime but emotionally (and given the history of our sport) there is no room for Sorry Stevies. Ride your bike all you like outside of competition but if you get done then just get the f*ck out of the sport - your racing days are over.

What if your racing days only really start after you get done...?

Asking for a friend...

Asking for a friend...

Hahaha....your poor friend!

Asking for a friend...

Then you should get a medal for bravery :-)

Amen.

Remove Stewart/George/Evans/Hoffman/Hannie from the results and how many other riders would have had a shot at a pro contract/half pro contract/different life? We'll never know because of these cheats.

Maybe they only ever doped once each - maybe not. We'll never know.

Scumbags.

This!

I hear the argument - they served their time, give them a second chance blah blah blah.

But what have they stolen from the clean youngsters trying to make a go of it.

Life ban - 100%

A system banning Lance for 2 years for his little backdated "saddle sore" TUE stunt would have been far more effective in fighting doping than a life ban after his retirement.

I get why hubbers are vindictive against ex-dopers (I also puke a little when I see an ex-doper on the podium), but in my books better testing & an efficient system are more effective than life bans.

I think this, especially on an efficient system, which is so flawed in itself. 

Life bans won't happen for these types of dopers.

They can and do come back to race.

But they are branded for life.... Nothing will ever change the fact that they got banned for cheating.

It is what they will be remembered for....

Life bans won't happen for these types of dopers.

They can and do come back to race.

But they are branded for life.... Nothing will ever change the fact that they got banned for cheating.

It is what they will be remembered for....

Yes, but without a properly implemented and efficient system, it won't happen. Prevention is better than vengeance.

Yes, but without a properly implemented and efficient system, it won't happen. Prevention is better than vengeance.

So it's the systems fault that they decided to cheat?

Surely they are responsible for their own choices.

Ps: Don't confuse my reluctance to forgive and forget with other people's vengeance.

So it's the systems fault that they decided to cheat?

Surely they are responsible for their own choices.

Ps: Don't confuse my reluctance to forgive and forget with other people's vengeance.

For the eleventy twelfth time, I reckon until the UCI puts on their big boy jockstrap and treats this as a criminal act, as in France, there is barely any disincentive to cheat. And the Court of Arbitration needs a damn good de-wimping.

For the eleventy twelfth time, I reckon until the UCI puts on their big boy jockstrap and treats this as a criminal act, as in France, there is barely any disincentive to cheat. And the Court of Arbitration needs a damn good de-wimping.

Agreed. It's fraud - cheating for financial gain - that's fraud right there.

Doping is a bit like #feesmust fall.....happy to be a real heroes until the consequences hit.

post-2412-0-62820100-1476735696_thumb.jpg

Lets put a little perspective on this Vets thing.

In another sport, happens to be canoeing. A mate of mine and his canoeing K2 partner go and do a local race, age group hopefulls. The wives are also mates and spend the day together waiting for the men to come home from the race. They walk in the door having decided to tell their partners that they won the race, which was not true. Anyway when they get home the wives ask "How was the race?" " Great they say, we won!". " That's nice" says one wife.

Seriously, get some perspective, it's not the bloody world champs, it's a vets prize in a local bike race. FFS. No one outside of your close mates and those vets who did the race know about it, neither do they care.

Agreed, except it's those very vets who did the race that one is comparing yourself to, and as a doper I would imagine those vets who you need to beat to feel good about yourself, and to get your ego stroked.

Take a look at the ous crowding around the results board , or web posting of race results after a race , and tell me it doesn't matter where you came, just that you had fun. We all race . When there's a start line and a gun, it's a race, and we judge ourselves mostly by where we finished and who we beat. I guess for dopers the need to finish higher on that list is just a bit more important?

Now the wives at home can't understand that one jot. They more concerned that you playing on your bike again instead of mowing the lawn.

Agreed. It's fraud - cheating for financial gain - that's fraud right there.

Doping is a bit like #feesmust fall.....happy to be a real heroes until the consequences hit.

While I totally agree on the dopers/fraud situation, that fella if arrested at a '#zumamustfall' rally would be hailed a hero. And damn the consequence.

Have any of the local dopers turned to coaching.? Cause I don't think I would be comfortable with them coaching my children.

What about the names up near or on the top of the leaderboards that doped in the past, but were never tested/caught.

Archived