Santa Cruz Tallboy vs Scott 910 (2015)

I am looking to upgrade  my 29er to one of these bikes.They are both carbon with XT,dual suspension etc.I would appreciate any

thoughts/comments on either of them.I have heard that the Santa Cruz has to have the pivots changed every 4-6 months (depending on your riding I guess) !

My cycling is mostly marathon riding with minimal technical bits as I have had a couple of spinal fusions-comfort is

therefore also very important

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a tallboy and love it. The guys at outdoor escape sold me frame and said regular greasing of bottem pivot and your sorted. I havnt had one issue. granted only had since Oct last year with only moderate riding. I have greased and cleaned pivot few times. Can't comment on Scott.

Guest Travis.

One mtb that has won best mtb twice running or a Scott...

Agree with doper, no brainer here...

My TB is by far the best bike I have ever owned - Bar none !

Never had a problem with pivot bearings.

There are very few bikes, if any, as good as a TB. I had one for 2 years.

Nothing inherently wrong with the Scott though.

TB now has lifetime guarantee on pivot bearings. You just nett to apply grease from time to time. Also resale on TB will be better.......not that you would ever want to sell it.

I am quite disappointed. By now there is usually someone saying why not try brand Z when the OP asks between X and Y. 

Both good bikes, the kicker will come with after sales service etc. Perhaps see if you can get a test bike or 2 and decide then? 

Tall boy would be a nice cross over between marathon and trail. A longer fork on the Tall Boy is not out of place.

The Scott is also nice, but there's a similar frame available on one of the Chinese sites and it seems people buying it are very happy with longevity and reliability.

between the two, the Tall Boy would get my vote for:

- nicer handling

- stiffer front end Top tube head tube and down tube junction.

- more active suspension that pedals very well.

- VPP pivot bearing design has been improved to promote longer life

I've tested both, liked the Scott but loved the TB. They are different bikes in that the TB is more trail orientated, that said, I would choose it over the Scott for marathon riding. Awesome bike, very fast DH and surprisingly good on the climbs.

Nothing inherently wrong with the Scott though.

You obviously haven't read all the complaints about the rear triangles breaking and the constant squealing of the rear suspension.

Both have roughly the same geometry and suspension travel. If your back is an issue, maybe go for the Genius 910 or equivalent Santa Cruz with 130mm travel to soak up more bumps?

I guess the only downside about the TB is that so many people are actually riding one these days. So it's not so exclusive as a few years ago. But that certainly won't put me off buying one (again). Just a great bike. Scott maybe a bit more racy than the TB.

Archived