Fixing sidewall puncture (Tubeless)

Gringo

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has been discussed in depth but what techniques do you use if you get a side wall puncture running tubless tyres?

Must be a quick fix to nurse your bike home.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has been discussed in depth but what techniques do you use if you get a side wall puncture running tubless tyres?

Must be a quick fix to nurse your bike home.

Thanks

A ten rand note. Then time trial home

Pick empty gu packets up strewn across the trails 3 to 4 could work for a long time but if you can only find one sachet lying around then that will also get you home ok.

Place patch in position, insert tube and bomb...off you go.

Patch inside or outside of tyre? Inside would be a problem with the stans goo...

Depends on the size of the cut.

I Carry a small bottle of superglue, and a bit of old tyre sidewall cut to patch size.

Make sure the cut is dry. I you are careful the tyre would not have unseated.

This is on the outside of the tyre:

Apply superglue and then patch ( keep fingers clear of glue)

Re- inflate. Easy, quick.

This has helped me home many times.

If the cut is too big or the tyre has un-seated, then it is a much longer more difficult process of opening the tyre , drying the cut and gluing the patch on or inserting a tube with gator.

Had the same problem. I plugged it and later at home I removed the tyre, cleaned the area around the hole, on the inside and placed a piece of Duct tape over the plug. Happend in December and I am still riding it without any leak.

Depends on the size of the cut.

I Carry a small bottle of superglue, and a bit of old tyre sidewall cut to patch size.

Make sure the cut is dry. I you are careful the tyre would not have unseated.

Apply superglue and then patch ( keep fingers clear of glue)

Re- inflate. Easy, quick.

This has helped me home many times.

If the cut is too big or the tyre has un-seated, then it is a much longer more difficult process of opening the tyre , drying the cut and gluing the patch on or inserting a tube with gator.

flip this is clever - a bit of superglue and some old sidewall!

but then old goo packets work well, as does that silver mesh duck tape. Actually the tape works for just about every repair!

Patch inside or outside of tyre? Inside would be a problem with the stans goo...

Inside. Otherwise it's got far more chance of deforming. You still need to clean the area.

Agreed with the old sidewall / tube and superglue. Then when you get home, take out the needle and cotton and sew it shut, with the old tube still in place as an extra barrier. The cotton will hold it properly, and will allow you to carry on using the tire for a long time after that. Or - just carry a needle and cotton with you in your patch kit. Unseat the tire, sew it shut with the square of old tube in place on the inside, then reinflate. The stitching doesn't have to be pretty - just needs to hold it closed and ensure that the cut stays closed. 

Won't get you home but when home use a 'mushroom', available at all automotive tyre shops. Clean, roughen and stick the mushroom in place. Cut the tag end off 2mm protruding and you good to go.

Inside. Otherwise it's got far more chance of deforming. You still need to clean the area.

Agreed with the old sidewall / tube and superglue. Then when you get home, take out the needle and cotton and sew it shut, with the old tube still in place as an extra barrier. The cotton will hold it properly, and will allow you to carry on using the tire for a long time after that. Or - just carry a needle and cotton with you in your patch kit. Unseat the tire, sew it shut with the square of old tube in place on the inside, then reinflate. The stitching doesn't have to be pretty - just needs to hold it closed and ensure that the cut stays closed. 

Instead of cotton use dental floss, quite a bit stronger.

Archived