Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

Max, that was me!!! Turning the corner on the outside of the bunch and I hit a patch of an oil spill on the road. Felt like I did some ice skating. Fell pretty hard on my knee and shoulder. Should recover soon. Kaked out the officer and marshal for not doing something about that spill. Otherwise yea the race has lost a lot of its stature and I wouldn't be back anytime soon.....

Glad to hear you'll be back on the bike soon.  :thumbup:

I was right behind you. I remember seeing the wet road, then saw you start to go down and then that little voice in my head saying "change your line now!" I'm just glad it didn't turn out worse.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also right next to you LPinto, your handlebars actually touched my ankle when you went down. We were cornering pretty tamely too. Shame, that was unlucky dude! Did you finish?

I was also right next to you LPinto, your handlebars actually touched my ankle when you went down. We were cornering pretty tamely too. Shame, that was unlucky dude! Did you finish?

Yes I did manage to finish, it was only 10km into the race. And I didn't wanna turn around.... So I soldiered on.????

Luckily I didn't take down anyone else. Would have gone down bad.

Hopefully will See u Boys at the next race????????

I competed in (i.e. suffered through) the D2D cycle event on Sunday the 27th. It had all of the markings and aspirations of an event that could become a landmark event from both a participation and racing perspective. Yet it was evident from the start that this event was organised more for the money that it generated than the quality it bestowed upon the participants and spectators.

The lack of ablution facilities was a massive failure, and those that were available were not kept clean. Lets face it, toilet facilities for cyclist before and after the ride is massively important!

The start was a bit of a shambles with the bottleneck created by the entire group being compacted into a narrow piece of road because there was only enough space for 3 riders at a time. This causing a backup, several small collisions and an unnecessary neutral zone that cost riders time and wasted effort.

Then, the lack of marshals on the road was ridiculous. Having to contend with motorists (who in all fairness are none-the-wiser because of inadequate signage, notifications, etc.), pedestrians and the like. Not a pretty picture.

The water points were not clearly marked as such. To make matters worse, the final water point was at the Denny Mushroom/Manure factory. The poor guys manning that point will smell like poop for months to come!

When we are charged a small fortune to participate in these events, we expect quality administration, safety and organisation. Fusion Sports has quality sponsors on board - CycleEvents (AKA CycleLab), RaceTec, Misty Hills, The Fairway Hotel, Sportsmans Warehouse, Monument Toyota, Gleyburn Lodge. I'm sure that this must be a bit of an embarrassment for them to have their names attached to this event. It looks more like Fusion Sports has gone out of their way to extract as much money out of the event with as little effort as possible. Considering that this was their 10th anniversary I believe that Fusion Sports has done this event a massive disservice.

I am bitterly disappointed, and do feel ripped off. I doubt very much that I will attend the event again next year, and will probably dissuade others as well.

PS. Prior to posting this I have emailed Fusion Sport but have not had a response. Therefore I'm taking my gripes public.

At the end of the day, the number of participants tells it all - 2014 had 1150 riders in the 102km field, and 2015 had only 1000 riders in the same field (although the race was longer at 111km).

Maybe someone can share some information on earlier years, and see if there is downward trend.

I do believe there will be a smaller field next year, especially if D2D is not going to be a seeding race for the 94.7

At the end of the day, the number of participants tells it all - 2014 had 1150 riders in the 102km field, and 2015 had only 1000 riders in the same field (although the race was longer at 111km).

Maybe someone can share some information on earlier years, and see if there is downward trend.

I do believe there will be a smaller field next year, especially if D2D is not going to be a seeding race for the 94.7

2013 was a 93km route in that category with 1132 riders but this included elites

2012 was also 93km route with 1370 riders including elites

2011 was also 93km route with 1525 riders including elites

2010 was a 90km route with 1959 riders including elites

2009 was a 91km route and had 2046 Riders including elites

Make of that what you want (Numbers don't LIE)

EDIT : Predicted numbers for 2016 .......... 300 riders :ph34r:

That will be the 300 that is not on Bikehub. That will teach them :whistling:

2013 was a 93km route in that category with 1132 riders but this included elites

2012 was also 93km route with 1370 riders including elites

2011 was also 93km route with 1525 riders including elites

2010 was a 90km route with 1959 riders including elites

2009 was a 91km route and had 2046 Riders including elites

Make of that what you want (Numbers don't LIE)

So that answers it - people are talking with their money and not attending this race...it took a hubber a few minutes to compile this info. how can the organisers not see the same?

So that answers it - people are talking with their money and not attending this race...it took a hubber a few minutes to compile this info. how can the organisers not see the same?

Apart from the value for money proposition decreasing over the years, the race is also moving further and further away from the city.  Remember the good old days when the race actually started at the Dome??

Saturday I had to travel with my passport and pass through customs twice to get there - 1st time leaving the East Rand and second when entering Roodepoort... :ph34r:

Next year's race will probably start in Sannieshof.  

Apart from the value for money proposition decreasing over the years, the race is also moving further and further away from the city.  Remember the good old days when the race actually started at the Dome??

Saturday I had to travel with my passport and pass through customs twice to get there - 1st time leaving the East Rand and second when entering Roodepoort... :ph34r:

Vredefort Dome :whistling:

Not trying to defend the organisers from, what sounds like valid criticism, BUT wasn't there a couple of extenuating circumstances to consider? 

1. Wasn't the original venue for this year's event........Heia Safari? As that venue has a newly tarred road up to Beyers Naude; tarred for the Trirock as I recollect, it would have made a good venue. But it changed (had to be changed?) at quite short notice? 

2. The additional complexity of running road races in the Cradle may also have driven the organisers to move the route out beyond the Cradle to something less-than-perfect?

On that last-point, the upcoming Satellite Classic is run on similar roads - granted not the N14 - but narrow 2 lane roads, minimal/no emergency lanes, breakfast run car/bike routes, so can we really expect anything different?

Not trying to defend the organisers from, what sounds like valid criticism, BUT wasn't there a couple of extenuating circumstances to consider? 

1. Wasn't the original venue for this year's event........Heia Safari? As that venue has a newly tarred road up to Beyers Naude; tarred for the Trirock as I recollect, it would have made a good venue. But it changed (had to be changed?) at quite short notice? 

2. The additional complexity of running road races in the Cradle may also have driven the organisers to move the route out beyond the Cradle to something less-than-perfect?

On that last-point, the upcoming Satellite Classic is run on similar roads - granted not the N14 - but narrow 2 lane roads, minimal/no emergency lanes, breakfast run car/bike routes, so can we really expect anything different?

Heia was the venue for the MTB race, which was cancelled.

Read the thread to understand what the biggest issues were.  The route was not certainly not.

For the Satellite - it will be my 1st this year - so we'll see what ASG cooks up!!

Hi Bob

Heia Safari was only going to be the venue for the MTb race which was cancelled at the end of the day.  The Nature Reserve was planned as the venue from the start for the road event.

A lot of the events are run on similar type of roads, The satellite, the Fast one, CCMC but for me the main issue was not the lack of yellow lane but the absenteeism of marshalls to provide rider safety.

Archived