When should you help out a fellow rider?

NixM

Calculator...get one...unless you just chuck them a bomb and expect it to magically fix the hole of their bone dry tyre...sealant, patches, tjoobs are where it starts racking up tjom. I did the calcs and I dished out 500 bucks worth of stuff the one month, that was in 2 races and 7 rides...but hey if you ok with that, by all means carry on. Like I said, kudos to you...I am over it. Will happily ride past you in a race / trail, and won't bother me in the least, heck you might crack a wave

Spruit was used as an example of lots of traffic where mechs are prone, same with races. PS the post where I told Andy to pay for the spares was to try and get him off his high horse, maybe you can also do a dismount...sure it's not good for your karma points you keep carrying on about.

OK

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's pretty simple. I will stop and help anyone with a mechanical when I'm on a training ride. In a race I stop for team mates only if I'm still in the race. For friends if I'm not.

I will stop for anyone anytime if it's a medical issue.

What is the score?

NixM start two threads in one day........one has already gone to HUB-Area51......this one approaching Chernobyl status. Contaminated keyboard for that one.......struck with some seriaaaaaas Tartarus vibes.

......not a single person stopped or even asked if I need help....

Just the opposite for me.

I can't stop for a leak or tighten my shoes without some kind soul asking if I need help.

It helps to be devilishly handsome, I suppose ;-)

(Or maybe it's because I'm usually so stuffed during a ride that it looks like I need urgent medical assistance)

They very much compute. While sorting out this mechanical 2 other guys also stopped to help. They pointed out that if there are marshals at the Nandos waterpoint and my partner is more than 2 min ahead we are going to be hit with a 3 hour time penalty. I cycled like a demented mountain goat on LSD when i realised 20 min had already passed. My only concern was sucking enough oxygen into my lungs to prevent me from having a myocardial infarction whilst trying to get back to my partner.

But like I said I am perfectly aware that no good dead goes unpunished.

Wow, I'd love to be able to cycle like that one day - still got the mental image in my head even after reading the whole thread (Acid tripping goat cyclist almost having a heart attack). Just about had me in tears.

To add my 2 cents, I say help if you want to (or if it's an aunty)... and if helped out yourself cos you guessed the wrong kit or ran out from helping aunties then at least be thankful properly. Just be polite, and pay it forward - no need to exchange telephone numbers or bodily fluids. 

I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with everything Rouxtjie said but I do love his sarcastic sense of humour and reckon it would be a real 'lag' to have a beer with him someday... Though I am under no illusions that I would have to pay for my own (and possibly his too).

Wow, I'd love to be able to cycle like that one day - still got the mental image in my head even after reading the whole thread (Acid tripping goat cyclist almost having a heart attack). Just about had me in tears.

To add my 2 cents, I say help if you want to (or if it's an aunty)... and if helped out yourself cos you guessed the wrong kit or ran out from helping aunties then at least be thankful properly. Just be polite, and pay it forward - no need to exchange telephone numbers or bodily fluids.

I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with everything Rouxtjie said but I do love his sarcastic sense of humour and reckon it would be a real 'lag' to have a beer with him someday... Though I am under no illusions that I would have to pay for my own (and possibly his too).

The DUTCHIE (rouxtjie) is a lot like escapee(just not as pretty as her) but he is the guy you going to have the most fun with at a beer tent, he talks a lot of *** and his sarcastic sense of humour is lost on most HUBBERS ,,I can honestly say I would much rather have him behind me on a race than in front(not that ,that will happen)because he will/better have my back I know he will

The DUTCHIE is a teddy bear I know he will help and just for the record he has bought me many beers, and a good couple of jaegers also, and when you bleeding on the road you bleed more to keep up to him to listen to his chirps and jokes,,,,,,then again I do have 1001posts ;)

Some people (most HUBBERS) take everything they read here in their own way,,,,

I can't tell you how funny it is when people find out who escapee is in real life,,,,again most of the people sense of humour is taken in the wrong way and people are judged,,,it's hard to carry that over esp. On the hub.

I know many HUBBERS personally I have met thinking NO WAY,,,,,of all the HUBBERS the sexy ESCAPEE surprised me the most SHE IS SPECIAL

Clearly you are not allowed to help out a fellow rider during a UCI race:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32805095

Why not let the team discipline their rider after the stage if they feel what Clarke did was not the right thing at that time.

You are allowed to, but only if it's a team mate. Happened in the Epic with Burrie several years ago. He was penalized an hour. Two minutes seems pretty tame.

Anyway this thread isn't about UCI rules in the pro peleton. It's about what you do as an amateur.

The DUTCHIE (rouxtjie) is a lot like escapee(just not as pretty as her) but he is the guy you going to have the most fun with at a beer tent, he talks a lot of *** and his sarcastic sense of humour is lost on most HUBBERS ,,I can honestly say I would much rather have him behind me on a race than in front(not that ,that will happen)because he will/better have my back I know he will

The DUTCHIE is a teddy bear I know he will help and just for the record he has bought me many beers, and a good couple of jaegers also, and when you bleeding on the road you bleed more to keep up to him to listen to his chirps and jokes,,,,,,then again I do have 1001posts ;)

Some people (most HUBBERS) take everything they read here in their own way,,,,

I can't tell you how funny it is when people find out who escapee is in real life,,,,again most of the people sense of humour is taken in the wrong way and people are judged,,,it's hard to carry that over esp. On the hub.

I know many HUBBERS personally I have met thinking NO WAY,,,,,of all the HUBBERS the sexy ESCAPEE surprised me the most SHE IS SPECIAL

For you I kill the bull dips....

But then you have joined the 10k club along time ago. Ons het al n paar sakke sout saam geeet, specially j2c.

Can someone explain the general sexist themes going on here? Always stop for women? Are all female riders really that helpless?

I know much of this was said in jest, but I can't help but think many of you guys are being completely serious about this.

But hats off to the doctors that stop and tend to the wounded. At the adventure I hear that maybe two doctors stopped with the guy who went off the bridge and stayed with him, (probably for an hour at least) until he was carted off (by good old thump and bump road ambulance - don't expect Dakar type helivac at Sani).

Well done Doc (s).

Those two doctors (the "ter haar" brothers) spent 90min and arranged for a helivac as the bloke (nic bac) had a broken back. They ended up being 2nd last across the finish line.

A serious question needs to be asked if the paramedics are sufficiently trained to deal with these injuries as they didn't even have a scoop to move the bloke.

Can someone explain the general sexist themes going on here? Always stop for women? Are all female riders really that helpless?

I know much of this was said in jest, but I can't help but think many of you guys are being completely serious about this.

Since I started with it I might as well explain why you always stop for woman. So yes its serious, but not in the way you think...the theme I set was tongue in cheek..."stopping for hot aunties"

See its not about being helpless or tech idiots...its about a woman being stranded on the side of the road in locations that sometimes presents opportunity to criminals that want more than your cell, wallet and bike. That is really the crux. 

It does help if the aunty you are stopping for is hot though...yes I am back to tongue in cheek comments.

Firstly it's a safety thing, nothing to do with ability.

Secondly, the tone IS said in jest, if you can't help thinking it's said in a serious manner well that's your choice, but don't paint people sexist because of a way that YOU see things.

Since I started with it I might as well explain why you always stop for woman. So yes its serious, but not in the way you think...the theme I set was tongue in cheek..."stopping for hot aunties"

See its not about being helpless or tech idiots...its about a woman being stranded on the side of the road in locations that sometimes presents opportunity to criminals that want more than your cell, wallet and bike. That is really the crux. 

It does help if the aunty you are stopping for is hot though...yes I am back to tongue in cheek comments.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, crime affects us all, and guys are also susceptible (perhaps not the same kind).

Firstly it's a safety thing, nothing to do with ability.

Secondly, the tone IS said in jest, if you can't help thinking it's said in a serious manner well that's your choice, but don't paint people sexist because of a way that YOU see things.

Just so I'm understanding correctly. A stranded women is less safe than a stranded guy?

Fair enough. Unfortunately, crime affects us all, and guys are also susceptible (perhaps not the same kind).

Yea true that, it does....someone's wallet / bike / cell can be replaced but rape is something that cannot be insured against.

So ja medical emergency stop. woman...stop. The rest...klap n toon

Archived