sani2c Feedback

sani2c

Ag nee man.. and I bet you they didn't look like Thor.

Yip Bad very bad

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro's

1. Organisation
  2. Single track
  3. Food, day 1 to 3
  4. Water points
  5. Clothing...........was my first race so cant really compare against the previous years

Cons

1. Beach finish and car collection
  2. Food on the Day 0, R90 for a small steak and veggies......crazy
  3. Cycling shops too busy to tend to non scheduled bike emergencies
  4. SMS start times
  5. Nothing else I can think off

One other issue was the storing of bikes after the bike wash at Mackenzie and Jolivet. On day 1 we spent half an hour scouring the bike park looking for our bikes. There was no system as to how they put the bikes back into the bike park after the wash. Had we known it would be such a disaster, I would have waited for the bikes to be washed (or even washed them myself) and then followed them to storage.

We actually did that at Jolivet on day 2 so that we could find them easily

Ag nee man.. and I bet you they didn't look like Thor.

Even if they did their comments would have put her off. One doesn't talk to a lady like that.

Even if they did their comments would have put her off. One doesn't talk to a lady like that.

All really bad. . .. Thor would never disrespect a lady.

And a situation like that should never happen.. I know the organisers can't do much about people but they need to address the shortage of hot water so that something like that doesn't happen again.

Edited by Gen

Plus:

1. New registration area at Glencairn
  2. Jolivet was a huge improvement – showers and massage area were superb
  3. Great food in abundance
  4. Chill areas – although some people hogged entire spaces. If you want to sleep, go sleep in your tent, don’t take up entire section
  5. I liked new finish on day 1

Negatives:

1. Not being able to buy a beer at the finish after the Adventure. There was one bar and it was booked out exclusively for Supergroup.
  2. GPS Navigation – My eyesight is poor so I struggle with the small Screen (Garmin 800). I am far sighted so have glasses for reading but obviously can’t wear them while I am riding.
  3. Not enough Showers at Mackenzie
  4. Clothing was a disappointment this year. I had higher expectations after the previous 2 years.

5.The finish on day 3 is a disappointment. It is such an anti-climax after 3 days of great trails

Pros

Too many to mention. But food during the whole event was great and not limited to small portions. Nandos on day 2!!!

Cons

Funny most people seem to like the showers at Jolivet more than Mackenzie. Given I showered later on the second day, the pressure and water temp at Jolivet was worse. I know that the cubicles are better but generally it's not a better shower. Given the donkey is so high up on the hill at Jolivet you'd thing the pressure would be stronger.

I know this isn't really feasible but a skill/technical seeding would be good.

My First Sani2C

The Good:

Showers and toilets at Jolivet

I enjoyed the entertainment area both days at Mackenzie and Jolivet

Bike wash

All the free USN supplements

Route was perfect

Met really awesome people over the event

The Bad:

Showers and toilets at Mackenzie (I won't do this again if something isn't done about this)

Paying extra for good Coffee, an entry is already so expensive

Clothing sizes & Quality(Just leave the clothes rather and bring down the entry fee)

More cool drink flavours would be nice 

Beggars, I almost smacked one when he tried taking my GU out my shirt's pocket on day 3

I enjoyed the overall event ,Glen and his family look like nice people and I hope they still have a lot of success with event

Everyone, please let us keep this thread to what the OP intended. A list of pro and cons of the ride as a mechanism of improvement.

If you want to discuss these further then go here:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140870-sani2c-2015/page-56

I have moved posts into this thread.

Oh yes, the OP will also likely read some of the posts in the above thread as well.

Should I have missed some posts then please report them to the mod team to move.

My first Sani and mostly the same feedback as others:

Good:

1. Trails and views

2. Friendliness of the local community involved at the overnight and waterstops

3. Food and extras

4. Chill areas

5. I enjoyed the GPS navigation, it didn't interfere with my riding but gave me a great sense of what was coming up

Bad:

1. Feeling unsafe as a lady on day 3

2. Quality of the ladies showers and number of toilets at MacKenzie and Jolivet. Please also take into account that more and more ladies are taking part, especially in the Trail. And most seem to end up around the same batches, which means even longer queues at the same time of the morning.

3. The seeding of teams on day 1 were very inappropriate. I have less of an issue with day 2 onwards (apart from what I gather happened on the Adventure with the Supergroup batch). Having so many people on single track will always cause delays and not just because of lack of technical skills. But it seems that for day 1 the seeding of the strongest rider in the team was used? (At least it was in our case). In my opinion it must at least be the average of the two riders, or even the seeding of the slower rider (who has a greater impact on the team's pace).

4. The clothing (except for finisher t-shirt) was sized too big.

5. The dinner and breakfast at Glencairn was definitely not on par with what we had the rest of the race. Not enough, too expensive amd the organisation was poor.

That being said the views and trail make everything worthwhile many times over.

My first Sani.

Ladies showers. Big problem. Please fix that!!! The rest i can put up with.

Long day 2 . All you want to do is get cleaned up. About to start a nice shower youve been looking forward to since wp2. Just to get there. And not even cold water to wash off the sweat and dust...

Deal breaker. I wont be rushing back.

Negatives:

1. Not being able to buy a beer at the finish after the Adventure. There was one bar and it was booked out exclusively for Supergroup.

ag nee man

I must say Supergroup have not done themselves any favours this Sani2C and I would say that despite the huge wad of cash they would have sponsored for the event the overall gain for them has been negative. I get the overall impression of a arrogant company after this whole exercise...and I wasn't even there this year...just an innocent bystander looking on

The good

1.Food

2. Day 2 descend

3. Upgrade showers etc  

4. New start venue

5. Trails

Not so good

1.I paid R1000 to park my camper in a rubbish dump on day 2 ( last year it was free)

2.The coffee band this is a load of crap

3. Why did a blind person get to sign off on the SANI     2C   design of the hoodie .

4. If that's the new clothing supplier rather keep it , already my gardener said it's coming     apart .

5. Please go speak nicely to the guys at Saloman and tell them your sorry and need them back at the event .

Did my 4th Trail

Pro's:

1. Beach finish! I cannot fathom how people don't love the beach finish!
Did people forget the long slog to the school and the anti-climax of finishing sani2c and you’re not at the sea? Geez, that last tar road climb to the school was horrible. When it comes to trail quality there’s not much between the big races, like Berg & Bush, etc, but finishing right on the beach is one of those “x-factor” things. It’s what makes this race so special. Honestly, how difficult can it be? You get your box, you pack everything over into your bag and you take it to your car. Everyone parked far. It’s not that bad. A beach finish is awesome! You don’t get that in every other race.

2. Spectator points – I love how my wife and kids can follow the race and are made feeling welcome at every point. Coffee, breakie buns, etc.

3. Registration to Day 1 to 3 – The entire trail is awesome. Even the abandoned farms, as sorry sight as it is, is beautiful in its own way. The new finish on Day 1, cutting out Tinys, I was unhappy about at first but once we got there it was much appreciated. Clencairn is awesome!

4. Jolivet – From the tiled showers, to the workshop, to the new giant barn. Absolutely amazing!

5. Doug Bird – Kudos to the guy. He held his own through many a technical difficulty and is a cool MC.

6. There so much more but you just have to mention the sense of community this race has. Even though it's massive, the sense of community is still there.

CONS

1. Showers at McKenzie – We didn’t have to wait but Jolivet has set the bar now.

2. Technical support at the start of Day 1 – Sometimes things go wrong as you pack your bike to leave for the start, like it did with me this year. When I arrived at Glencairn there were no mechanics. Their gazebo was there but they were still snoozing away in their tents… and I was not the only one needing help. One rider's bike fell off his Thule on his way to the start! Luckily some random dude, named Kirk, emerged from the GoPro tent and helped me. If it wasn’t for him…

3. The lady running the massage tent at Mckenzie was really unfriendly and rude. If you don't want to be there, don't be there.

Nothing else from me. See you next year!

Sani2C Adventure (Mine and my wife's first time)

The Good

1. The route was incredible. Better than I expected.
  2. Food in general. At waterpoints and at the race villages. Including the USN products available everywhere was a great touch.
  3. Jolivet mens showers and dining hall.
  4. Supergroup logistics worked without a hassle (Won't mention the actual riders).
  5. The "feel good feeling" that this race gives so much back to the community.

The Bad

1. Men's showers at Mackenzie and women's showers at Jolivet.
  2. The quality and sizes of the clothing.
  3. Finish at Scottburgh. A 30min wait to cross the lagoon and then just an anticlimax from parking issues, no showers, beer tent of sorts would be great.
  4. Starting times sms'd and mentioned in the evenings were different.
  5. I rode for SuperGroup but my wife and I stuck to our starting batches. Nothing more demoralising than being passed by 200 riders and then that feeling of holding faster riders back. Day 1 we started in H batch and passed the first lot of D batch Supergroupers shortly after waterpoint 1.

One last thing from me; R500 to download 9 average photos is a bit much. Are there no more reasonable photographers?